What did you do to your TJ today?

I have just the opposite a 1977 MGB that has 35,000 miles on it that is like it is only a 2 year old car. Kept in a garage all it's life , I'm afraid to drive it, if someone hit it I would have to get out and kill them. It's amazing to work on bolts just come right out , I have had it a long time and I think I am going to sell it on and let someone else enjoy owning it. Not a great picture !
View attachment 338690

My first car was a ‘64 Austin Healy Sprite. Man, those things can be a full time hobby. I guess it was just something I had to get out of my system. The pic is from 1970 or ‘71.

5252D12C-93D5-472E-A23F-E2D24AAFB6A0.png

You're going to enjoy the short crisp shifts of that B&M shifter.🤩
One of the best comfort mods I have done.

Why have something you don’t drive? I’ve had several classic pickups and muscle cars, and drove them all.
My TJ is a 2000 and just about to break 70k. Can't lie.. I hate adding the miles, but it's my DD and totally enjoy driving it so shouldn't let it bother me.

Replaced my worn rampage top with a new bestop supertop. Was a tough install even in the 95 degree heat. Anybody know how to remove the bestop decal from the top without harming the fabric?
I have to smile when I see the posts of folks struggling with soft top installs. I got lucky.. the planets aligned on a Monday... 72F and I got he Trektop installed without a single issue. It was scary easy.

I purchased the AlbaChem Heat Transfer Vinyl Letter Remover. Worked great but I had a heavier hand than needed and kind of scuffed the vinyl. Had I used a softer brush it would have been perfect. The bottle I purchased was HUGE compared to what I needed (or will likely ever use) so if you or anyone else wants some, shoot me a message. We'll figure out how to ship it. I have a feeling it will eventually evaporate so let's use it while we can!

Went to Pull a Part to get a Gentex 177 mirror and sensor. So I can have Temp and direction. Now to follow the wonderful guide on here.
This is on my short list of mods.

Last edited:
Talk about a day ruiner. Guess I put too much pressure on the rear window zipper trying to seal it up this morning. Started with two zippers on the soft top, ended up with one on the soft top and one on the window side. In my efforts to fix it I’ve now got two zippers in a ziplock bag lol. Sucks that it’s a brand new top 😕 Not my first soft top though so I didn’t think I went too crazy on it. Now I have a partially damaged top that I really don’t feel like sending back to Smittybilt. Hopefully a local auto upholstery shop can fix the zippers for fairly cheap and I’m good to go again.
3DB660F6-305E-4E99-AB0E-7E2FCF58F1D9.jpeg

FedEx delivered my slim subwoofer/ amp combo this afternoon so after dinner and grocery getting I was feeling antsy to get it installed. I had to work tonight so I still have a few things to do like mount the unit somewhere along with the adjustable knob for the bass volume controller, but all in all it’s hooked up and sounds great out of the box. Took me about an hour and a half to put it in and loom the interior wires and zip tie everything up.

0C79ED5D-BA13-44AA-8A51-214ECD6C95E1.jpeg

D9AD369E-D636-4F39-BEC5-8D7079B33D8E.jpeg

1AF36B43-1BF8-4158-805B-15D875637298.jpeg

E6446FB8-15BF-4FD8-B5C7-F2162F4B5B6F.jpeg

C5991959-07A4-4B4E-9535-5E717674FD6A.jpeg

52AA10A8-0FEB-48BB-AE25-DE725E1F3262.jpeg

Talk about a day ruiner. Guess I put too much pressure on the rear window zipper trying to seal it up this morning. Started with two zippers on the soft top, ended up with one on the soft top and one on the window side. In my efforts to fix it I’ve now got two zippers in a ziplock bag lol. Sucks that it’s a brand new top 😕 Not my first soft top though so I didn’t think I went too crazy on it. Now I have a partially damaged top that I really don’t feel like sending back to Smittybilt. Hopefully a local auto upholstery shop can fix the zippers for fairly cheap and I’m good to go again.
View attachment 338787

Or a place that does boat tops

Not my first soft top though so I didn’t think I went too crazy on it. Now I have a partially damaged top that I really don’t feel like sending back to Smittybilt. Hopefully a local auto upholstery shop can fix the zippers for fairly cheap
Smittybilt quality is the problem, not you. I think they use a discount Chinese made "Sale" cloth material for their tops. The upholstery shop will probably charge as much as the top is worth. :unsure:
p.s If you're within the warranty period, get a refund.

Last edited:
Tried to change out passenger side door handle with a new one I ordered from EBAY. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK! I got it installed and the door back on and the 1st pull on the new handle it made a loud POP. It broke. Anyway I put the old one back in after repainting and it works great. I was changing it for cosmetic issues. Paint and binding, just needed a squirt of oil. Buyer beware. Don’t order those cheap Chinese door handles

Replaced my worn rampage top with a new bestop supertop. Was a tough install even in the 95 degree heat. Anybody know how to remove the bestop decal from the top without harming the fabric?

Is the logo really that bad? If it bothered you so bad you want to take it off why didn't you just send it back? I would say to all , ask them to send it without the logo but they won't. They make great tops but they clearly don't care about their customers , I found that out about a year ago and is why I WOULDN'T do business with them. Problem is Bestop doesn't have any real competition so they can be jerks if they want to. I don't think it looks all that bad , just don't like that it glows in the dark. I would tape around it and mist it with some black vinyl spray to tone it down. I wouldn't risk damaging your nice top you paid a lot of money for , nice top enjoy !

• Face Palm
Reactions: John Cooper
Thanks. That’s another option to consider. It doesn’t bother me to point of sending it back but if I can remove it with a few minutes of my time and no damage to the top I will.

Is the logo really that bad? If it bothered you so bad you want to take it off why didn't you just send it back? I would say to all , ask them to send it without the logo but they won't. They make great tops but they clearly don't care about their customers , I found that out about a year ago and is why I WOULDN'T do business with them. Problem is Bestop doesn't have any real competition so they can be jerks if they want to. I don't think it looks all that bad , just don't like that it glows in the dark. I would tape around it and mist it with some black vinyl spray to tone it down. I wouldn't risk damaging your nice top you paid a lot of money for , nice top enjoy !

dang.. calm the fuck down karen. maybe try not being a cunt when you talk to people and you’ll get better service.

i got a hold of the shitty customer service at bestop a few weeks back, chatted about the logo and about some pricing/rebate discrepancies and was rewarded with a logo less top and a hefty discount because i didn’t act like you and flip out at them like a twat.

you’re like a jealous ex wife, posting the same fucking rant in two separate threads, having to search for a month stale thread just to stomp your feet on the ground and make your point.

i got a hold of the shitty customer service at bestop a few weeks back, chatted about the logo and about some pricing/rebate discrepancies and was rewarded with a logo less top and a hefty discount because i didn’t act like you and flip out at them like a twat.

This is closer to my bestop customer service experience. Top was on my LJ when bought it so no receipt. Started to show pin holes around stitches. Sent them photo and soon had replacement no hassle.

Or a place that does boat tops

Never even thought of that.
Smittybilt quality is the problem, not you. I think they use a discount Chinese made "Sale" cloth material for their tops. The upholstery shop will probably charge as much as the top is worth. :unsure:
p.s If you're within the warranty period, get a refund.

fortunately it’s only 2 weeks old so they should replace it. When I spoke with Smittybilt yesterday they said that it “sounded like it just needed a new rear window” and for me to send in pictures. I’m going to mess with it a little over the weekend, let the upholstery shop at least check it out since they’re local, then I’ll decide if I’m going to try for a whole replacement. It was a moment of panic/frustration and I should have waited until I had some extra help. Live and learn, right? Haha