What did you do to your TJ today?

10 day ORV permit for the Hatteras shoreline. Gonna make the most of the $50 fee

View attachment 340633

View attachment 340634

View attachment 340635

View attachment 340636

View attachment 340637

Just north of ramp #27 is the remains of an old wooden ship, the G.A. Kohler. We've only seen it once. Every other time we've checked it's been covered with sand. Could be uncovered now with the recent tropical storm churning up the surf.

IMG_4641.JPG

Got back from a three day jeep adventure...went down the freeway three hours and the AX-15 was howling like mad in 5th gear past 60 mph. Went silent the second you pushed in the clutch. Went white rafting then drive 200 some odd miles of FS roads and OHV trails home through the middle of the OOHVA.org Oregon Adventure Route. Absolutely no noise in first through third. Rear main leaking badly despite two previous attempts to replace.

Got home...edited videos from about 2:30 AM when I woke up until FedEx dropped off a dog barrier... installed that...trash pickup until 5 pm...hauled 520 lbs in a full truck and 7 tires out of the woods...then pulled my transmission and started pulling things out of the way for a timing chain and round three of the rear main.

CL has an add for a shop in Bend, OR that will do a core swap for $1050 for a rebuilt AX-15. Will call on Tuesday and hope they have emon the shelf or can turn mine around before Christmas (next year.)

Tempted to rebuild it myself. Watched some YouTube videos...looks meticulous but not complicated.

-Mac

PS and drove to Bend and bought my wife a 2012 JK for $10k for her birthday... little rough around the edges. Had God awful 18" rims on bald as an eagle 35s with stock 3.21 gearing and a 6 speed. Needs 15s and 33s for now until we regear. Looking at Desert Rat rims. Pretty sure I pissed off the PO when I reprogrammed the ECU shortly after purchase for $23 and fixed the speedometer.

IMG_20220703_211722183.jpg

IMG_20220703_203241234.jpg

IMG_20220703_202823521.jpg

IMG_20220703_202817337.jpg

IMG_20220703_202807447.jpg

IMG_20220703_195216697.jpg

IMG_20220702_193736850.jpg

Just north of ramp #27 is the remains of an old wooden ship, the G.A. Kohler. We've only seen it once. Every other time we've checked it's been covered with sand. Could be uncovered now with the recent tropical storm churning up the surf.

View attachment 340658

We’re close to ramp 48 and 49 so I’ll have to look into finding that stretch of beach

I just changed my oil in my 2.5. Poured about eight ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase. Upgraded to the PH8 Toughguard Fram filter that fits in nice. My oil pressure was at a fairly steady 40 before this, and after start up it's almost fifty pounds of pressure. My motor is very clean inside with nothing in the bottom of the pan. I'm always concerned about oil pressure, and hope this is normal.

I just changed my oil in my 2.5. Poured about eight ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase. Upgraded to the PH8 Toughguard Fram filter that fits in nice. My oil pressure was at a fairly steady 40 before this, and after start up it's almost fifty pounds of pressure. My motor is very clean inside with nothing in the bottom of the pan. I'm always concerned about oil pressure, and hope this is normal.

I wouldn't run Seafoam in your engine oil. It will really thin it out a lot and take away the lubricating properties of the oil, similar to running engine oil that has been diluted with gasoline. It is fine to run it at idle for a few minutes before an oil change with seafoam in the crankcase for an engine flush (which even then is questionable since it could dislodge stuff and clog the pickup) but not something I would run down the road with.

Got that bolt out so now I can put the interior In . Didn't have to weld a nut on it , I had a set of extractors and it gripped the nub of the bolt that was sticking up and backed it right out with my impact . I forgot I had those , I ran across case with them in it looking for something else. I have so many tools !!!!
Now I will move on to rebuilding both drive shafts and doing the tune up. Stripping the doors for paint .... lots still to do before Aug. deadline.

First, re-filled the cooling system so I could test the new radiator. Seems fine.

Then I installed the "Searchers" solenoid mount:

4ec.jpg

4ed.jpg

4ee.jpg

The mount is available in steel or aluminum, it just makes a whole lot more sense than the wonky OEM bracket that wiggles around. "Universal parts aren't." Apparently, this bracket will fit several different winches, WARN and otherwise, so the fit wasn't precise and the water jetted holes needed drilling out for this application at least. Still, for what it cost ($29), I can't complain. It puts the control box back over the spool again, but plenty high enough that the rope cannot contact the bolts on the bottomside which is why I moved it to a side mount in the first place.

I bought the aluminum version as the winch itself is aluminum - minimizes galvanic corrosion. The best type of finish on a (relatively) large expanse of aluminum like this is none at all. It will probably gain some patina over a period of years, but pinpoint corrosion isn't likely to happen, plus its under a cover most of the time anyway.

Started a grille swap as part of a trans cooler install plus a PS hose replacement while I'm in there. The lowest radiator mount bolts are just about impossible to get to on the driver's side, and not particularly easy on the passenger side. I think I'm going to just go with the top 2 bolts on the driver's side when I re-install. It'll be fine.