What did you do to your TJ today?

I had a bent passenger side axle shaft in the rear so I ordered replacements.
They were delivered and obviously I need to get the bearings pressed on. I could get some quotes on having it done for me.

Or……

View attachment 346873

I picked up the 12 ton press, worked well for me. other than the height was a little lower than I wanted I built a cube out of scrap 2x4's from work and bolted the press to the top of it. tolerances of the press are a little sloppy but it performed well for what it is.

One very annoying issue with the TJ, given how old it is, is the worn out seat belts. The retractor isn't that strong and the webbing has become very soft and often folds over itself and jams in the sliding belt end. As a result the webbing often gets pinched in the door latch when closing the door.

Bought an extra set of stock seat belts with plans to have the rebuilt, but inadvertently threw them out. Bought the new set made by Seatbelt Solutions and sold by Morris4x4

Took just a few minutes to remove the old one and install the new.

They are more sensitive, as reviews have noted, and as a result lock easily when extending the webbing to latch them. And, the male end is little finicky when inserting in the female clasp. I've seen folks complain that these belts don't come with the little stopper button... they don't. But it took zero effort to transfer them from the old belts.

But they slide very easily, the retractors wind them in quickly, they look a thousand times better and they don't fold over themselves.. yet.

p.jpg

Last edited:
One very annoying issue with the TJ, given how old it is, is the worn out seat belts. The retractor isn't that strong and the webbing has become very soft and often folds over itself and jams in the sliding belt end. As a result the webbing often gets pinched in the door latch when closing the door.

Bought an extra set of stock seat belts with plans to have the rebuilt, but inadvertently threw them out. Bought the new set made by Seatbelt Solutions and sold by Morris4x4

They are more sensitive, as reviews have noted, and as a result lock easily when extending the webbing to latch them. And, the male end is little finicky when inserting in the female clasp. I've seen folks complain that these belts don't come with the little stopper button... they don't. But it took zero effort to transfer them from the old belts.

But they slide very easily, the retractors wind them in quickly, they look a thousand times better and they don't fold over themselves.. yet.

View attachment 346880

I got the same ones in olive drab green.

Put the new starter in this afternoon!!!! The beast fought me every step of the way!!!!!! I am talking knock down drag out style fighting. After I got the starter installed I cleaned the battery terminals and the cable ends just to be on the safe side!!!!!!

Total time start to finish was 15 minutes and that includes cleaning the tools before I put them away!!!!!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No more holes in the doors.

20220730_152917.jpg

And if it looks like rain I can toss these on.

20220730_141314.jpg

I also loosened the hinges and set the latches so everything opens and closes smoothly.

Now I'm going to shower and buy some rubber trim pieces, and mirrors so I don't have to swap them off my full doors.

Then list these for sale locally.

20220730_160533.jpg

stripped the interior to clean.. in a narrow small car garage.

washed the tub with soap water, tossed the roll bar fabric in the washer with warm water and tide which cleaned up like new. reinstalled the roll bar fabric while damp. vacuumed carpet and reinstalled. cleaned the seat mounting brackets and lubed all moving parts. wiped dash and plastics with soap water. got the drivers seat back in so far. hoping to finish the work tonight.
494D2E24-BABE-43A8-883E-FC778995522F.jpeg

Got a call from one of our on call tire techs. We were out of Super Single trailer tires in our night call room.

I took this as an opportunity to jump in Sport and run to Chattanooga to get a couple of tires from the warehouse and put in the night room.

On the drive home coming by the Tennessee River I snagged this picture.
20220730_191752_copy_800x600.jpg

View attachment 346880

I know it’s not a feasible or practical swap for everyone but this was one of the things that exacerbated my desire for harnesses and seats from prp.

The foam on my seats while all present, was pretty worn out and uncomfortable and my passenger buckle would lock up sometimes.

The harnesses are a little annoying for around town driving sometimes but I’ve gotten used to them for the most part, but the seat comfort and off road security are greatly improved. You can also feel what the vehicle is doing better when you’re locked in and not bouncing around in a traditional seat/seatbelt type.

You do lose some functionalities like the fold and tumble passenger seat with needing a harness bar. I have my spare in the tub so that’s not as much of an issue for me as I don’t carry more than one person.

ABFE7F82-1D74-4B1D-9714-EE7D65DBFA2F.jpeg

3CD969B7-6458-4EBC-AA90-D65C11378702.jpeg

stripped the interior to clean.. in a narrow small car garage.

washed the tub with soap water, tossed the roll bar fabric in the washer with warm water and tide which cleaned up like new. reinstalled the roll bar fabric while damp. vacuumed carpet and reinstalled. cleaned the seat mounting brackets and lubed all moving parts. wiped dash and plastics with soap water. got the drivers seat back in so far. hoping to finish the work tonight.
View attachment 347034

Wanna go mudding tomorrow?

not much ... I removed the OE sound pods a while back and decided to mock up old speakers I pulled from my Toyota 4x4 in some Chinesium wakeboard tower pods
View attachment 347182

That’s what I expect to do when I install a Poison Spider full cage. They sound good on boats, should sound ok in the tj.

Reactions: L J and Kiwi TJ