What did you do to your TJ today?

I looked at those but I had some 1/8 " thick textured rubber so I just cut out a couple of circles and didn't spend that $10.00 , I'm such a cheap scape ! LOL !

View attachment 349048

I found an old rubber mat from somewhere in the back of my garage and cut 2 circles, they’ve done the job for the last 10 years lol

Reactions: SAWB
Finally got the transmission working correctly after my DIY rebuild. Turns out torquing (or just tightening in the least) the bolts that hold the valve body to the trans case is pretty important. I can't tell you how great it felt to finally have this thing back running & shifting like it used to. It's been a long process, made longer by lousy docs & even longer by my own ineptitude.

Over the last 5 days I've removed the evap system from the driver's fender in prep for my OBA air tank. This tank is 4 x 14 so it needs all the room I can find. I will relocate the evap can under the abs tray. The tray won't be used. I had to make and modify brackets. FUN.

20220807_151223.jpg

This bracket will support the firewall end of the tank. The black piece is cut from the stock bracket for mounting the cruse control. Also the wiring harness will mount to the face.
20220804_140242.jpg
This is a mock up of the tank mounted to the fender. I also heavily modified the mount that holds the other 3 bits of the evap system.
20220807_151205.jpg

The last bracket is to attach the evap canister to one of the abs tray fastener points.
20220807_151254.jpg

Also got all the electrical in place.
20220807_151138.jpg

20220807_165912.jpg

20220807_165937.jpg

Well, "today" is relative - have not been able to log on all weekend. Went to shop (90 miles or so away) and trailered my Jeep home Friday (180 mile round trip) Did the remaining 2 short break in runs with the new gears, then packed it and went to the beach (about 250 miles)... Got to the beach at 2am, got the brisket on at 4am. Stayed up till 7am so I could go to the grocery store to get stuff to cook everyone else breakfast. Long day, got to bed at 9am... Not bad - guess I was up 25hr strait. Got a 3hr nap, then had a good day at the beach.

At least the drive home from the beach was not quite as late. Got home at 1am and am getting ready to catch some sleep. 3am, not all that bad. Finishing up the 500 mile break in period for the gears first service interval over the weekend-probably not a record, but it did feel like a lot of driving in 3 days. Going to the beach normally does not take as many miles or as long - but needed to keep the speed below 60 so took a lot of back roads.

5.13 gears and 33" tires is only marginally low enough gearing. It was falling out of overdrive fairly often at 55mph at the beginning of the trip. That said, did not notice it doing that at the end - so maybe the break in changed it just enough. 55mph is now 2000 rpm. Just looking at the calculator - that is exactly what is expected. Will be more in the power band at normal highway speed, so the downshifting should go away when I can actually drive at the speed limit. Speedometer is off by about 10mph - in the other direction that it was before I took it in (had to figure that out with a gps). Guess I need to look up the necessary new speedometer gears later today. Quick math - 5.13 is about 40% more than 3.73. Before it reading 20% low, now it is 20% high - basically nothing unexpected.

Switch-Pro works, kind of. Something if screwed up in the wiring. It has a tendency to fade and flicker. Will be calling the shop later this morning. Not a huge issue, as I need to bring it in for the 500 mile service later today or tomorrow.

The Sway-Loc seems to help body roll on the road. Did not get to do any offroading yet - not supposed to do that until after the 500 mile service. LIkewise did not get to play with the ARB air lockers yet.

Anyway, good weekend after my Jeep spent 3 days in the Jeep Spa... getting regeared, lockers, Sway-Loc, onboard air, and the Switch-Pro.
—-
Did not get the Savvy suspention installed or the Currectlync. Will try to schedule shop time for them soon. Really looking forward to new shocks, but wanted to work out the suspension first.

Been chipping away at numerous small jobs and yet nothing is done. Some headache or missing part at every stop. o_O

Everytime, I try to remove stock bolts on this Jeep is when I am cursing like a sailor. It isn't a rust bucket, it is fairly clean. I use a MAP torch for at least 2 mins each bolt or more. Typically spray both sides if accessible with PB Blaster days before, and yet I continually can't remove 1 out of 4 bolts to save my life. This is with a manual impact and/or a breaker bar.

Trying to install an OR-FAB tire carrier for the second time (last time gave up and sold it because I couldn't remove 7 bolts, widdled that down to 3). I am fed up with the swing out Metalcloak tire carrier, it is an utter POS imo. It bounces with the wind and squeaks to drive you insane. It also sticks out too far and doesn't swing easily. 3 strikes and you are out.

Here is my attempt to back out the 3/16" bolts from the lower hinge, in order to install the spacers. I liberally coated the bolts in PB blaster days before trying to remove, and after about 1.5 mins each bolt with a MAP torch, enough to scorch some of the surrounding paint. Use valve lapping paste that I saw on YT as a trick for more grip. Pounded the bit in there with a dead mallet. Tried the whack-a-mole impact wrench first. No go. Tried the Bosch impact wrench, no go. Then tried the breaker bar with a 1/2-3/8 reducer. No go, ended up rounding both bolts.

Now what?

I have many of such cases. There is no visible rust but this is a common occurrence.

The roll bar bolt picture is from last time after trying the MAP torch for 10 mins on the bolt, over multiple sessions spread out over more than a week. Lots and lots of PB Blaster. Eventually used a dremel to cut the sides off the bolt since I stripped the hell out of the insert and wanted leverage. Vice grips and leverage bar and still no go. Ideas?

I don't have access to a welder or I'd try to weld on a nut and try that, but I sheared one bolt off trying to remove a bumper. So even that I am skeptical of.

View attachment 349117

View attachment 349120

View attachment 349121

View attachment 349122

Just curious, did you pull your rear fender liners and spray the leading end of the bolts? Did you cut away the clear and paint from around the heads? That stuff is amazingly hard and resilient!!!

just out for a Sunday drive & noticed the distinctive lack of the CEL. I always felt that if I hung in there long enough I'd burn that fucker out

View attachment 349182

though, it's brother is burning bright on the other side

View attachment 349184

Oh man that is terrible that your confirmed engine light is not on , now you don't have the light that confirms your engine is running, you better get that fixed !!!! What if the fuel light burned out you wouldn't know you were out of gas and with the engine light out you wouldn't be able to know why the jeep won't go when you step on the pedal ??????? What a dilemma that would be ! 😲

Last edited:
Me and the little one do Jeep Adventures in the summer every other Friday when I’m off and we did a long one for the last one of the summer.

Went out early did some light wheeling around Townsend cut over the mountain and landed in Madisonville and hit a small restaurant that had some awesome pizza. Pizza and drinks for 12 bucks can’t beat it.
60D7A1BA-D467-4678-990C-C5C710A38A3D.jpeg

F13A38EA-CAB4-4D23-AEFB-F1F1E35AF2A9.jpeg

854DBE14-5A06-4854-AFD8-9194CDD6DE88.jpeg

They look like a large torx. I have tool set from a JK or JL in my TJ, it has a large torx bit, it might fit. I'll check in the morning, thanks! (y)

I know, I need to pickup a cheap full torx set. Seems like I didn't need a torx set then lately I have the Jeep and a lot of other things I need it for.

Renekton Torx Star Bit Socket Set,1/2" 3/8" 1/4" Drive,T8 - T70,Cr-V Steel,13 Pieces https://a.co/d/czCL37F

Seatbelts are t50 I believe.

Well, if you can no longer get a grip on the bolt, you are down to welding a nut on it to get grip (which you don't have) or grinding the top flat and drilling it out. Start with a center punch and a very small bit to get a pilot hole that doesn't touch the threads. Use larger and larger bits until you get close t the threads. At that point most of the pressure should gone and often a reverse bit or an easy out will spin out the remainder of the bolt. if not then use a tap to carefully cut the remaining material out and clean up the threads. Might also consider one of the Titanium or Vulcan welders from Harbor Frieght. They are pretty good welders for hobby and not terribly expensive.

Thanks! I have a bolt extractor set. I'll try drilling and then using an extractor, or maybe I can get a buddy with a welder to help me out. So damn frustrating these bolts can be!
I did my best to scrape the paint around the top of the bolts with a razor blade.

Reactions: John Cooper
Does anyone know the power and ground pins for the stock radio. I think I found where Metallica Black CD went. I need a quick power up to hit eject.

Does anyone know the power and ground pins for the stock radio. I think I found where Metallica Black CD went. I need a quick power up to hit eject.

Is it still mounted in the vehicle? I think mine has a pinout sticker on the radio body. I just checked the old one I took out and no pinout sticker on the body.

2006-radio-C1.PNG

Reactions: InOmaha
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
remove the battery cables and ordered a new set from "custom battery cables", took pictures of the battery so I get the right one
started tearing the dash apart to replace the under dash wiring harness, got everything undone, even the passenger airbag, I got hung up on the headlight switch, How the freak'n hell do you get the plugs out of that switch??
I must be overly tired, I simply couldn't figure it out. any help would be appreciated

• Sad
Reactions: Kiwi TJ