What did you do to your TJ today?

This ‘05 vette has a harmonic balancer failing - about 1500 dollars on the high side- TJs aren’t that bad to maintain. If you gonna play, you gotta pay.

• Wow
Reactions: John Cooper
Nice. I hope I’m that cool when I’m 81…

I know- I’m not even that cool now.

My family man- Dad and every one of his brothers were solid guys. All worked at one job for most of their lives, stayed married to their first wife, raised kids. Dad was the only to get a divorce.

Back to Tjs - Check out this immaculate Anniversary edition-not a great pic, trying not to make a scene -

A1188D73-EE82-4815-B7A1-2052C2044976.jpeg

This shade tree mechanic stuff sucks. I wanted to swap to some higher end headers on the 5.3 and needed to swap oil pans for clearence. Well while my garage is still being rebuilt, I pulled up under a large tree for shade. All my tools and parts are in a storage lot that is walking distance and I had to make I bet 10 trips. I bet I walked 3 miles today just getting tools. This whole working on cars in crappy areas and with limited tools was more fun 10 years ago. I am glad I did this since I discovered the oil pickup o-ring was split. So swapped it and my oil pressure increased a lot, especially at idle.

A221E411-AFF3-4EA4-8E05-00BA83DE39EC.jpeg

081EE062-F6E0-40FD-8178-69E5D1C566A0.jpeg

06AB8912-9074-4A56-B7CE-D37FE5CBB749.jpeg

Was supposed to meet up with @AndyG and @Hog and do a little wheeling, but Andy had to tend to his Dad and I had to tend to my Mom and Dad.
Mowed mine and my dad's grass.
20220813_173629_copy_800x600.jpg

Normally he would be riding the Zero turn while I sat with mom, but she took a downward turn Tuesday and he stays close to her.

I polished the turn signals.

This is after the first round of sanding with 800 grit, but it looks identical to how it started.

PXL_20220814_015855645.jpg

And this is after following the 800 with 1500, 2000, then Novus fine scratch remover and then Novus plastic clean and shine.

PXL_20220814_020932553.jpg

The sanding discs and applicator I used are from a duplicolor headlight restoration kit I got 3 years ago for another vehicle, but I lost the polishing compound that came with it so I used the Novus stuff, which I actually got to clear up the vinyl windows in some 5 year old Smittybilt soft uppers that came with my half doors.

This is after the first round of sanding with 800 grit, but it looks identical to how it started.

View attachment 350812

And this is after following the 800 with 1500, 2000, then Novus fine scratch remover and then Novus plastic clean and shine.

View attachment 350815

The sanding discs and applicator I used are from a duplicolor headlight restoration kit I got 3 years ago for another vehicle, but I lost the polishing compound that came with it so I used the Novus stuff, which I actually got to clear up the vinyl windows in some 5 year old Smittybilt soft uppers that came with my half doors.

Nicely done!!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

View attachment 350812

View attachment 350815

I'm lazy. I spent $14 and replaced both of mine. 🤫

View attachment 350812

View attachment 350815

Elbow grease paid off, looks really good.

For all the guys scared to try paint correction- about those same steps finished with polishing compound will do it, just go easy with the 800 and only use it if you have blemishes to get out.

It would be cool to have lenses come in all colors wouldnt it, and still blink amber, to make them less conspicuous-

I’ve tried to every way under the sun to imagine a better alternative to what came stock- thinner is too modern. A fender flare that put the turn and marker into the very front of the flare would have worked with the body style better. Basically imagine an led signal just around the flare edge from the existing marker- of course led technology makes the idea sound better now.

I finally got around to removing, inspecting and cleaning the CCV elbow. i had the bright idea to use two nylon bicycle tire levers to pry out the elbow, and they worked like a charm. No worries about damaging the grommet or gouging anything as could happen with screwdrivers.