What did you do to your TJ today?

Did the shifter mod,thanks@zorba,for the quick response.I have my cup holder back in 4lo!

C45099D6-5102-4811-AA03-1AF03761C4F9.png

Last edited:
Those look really nice. I thought the tires were for kids climbing in back?

Yup. But youngest likes them over the tires because he is able to grab hold of the roll bar. He was upset because this summer he broke the soft top frame where it attaches to the pivot bracket. He had been using the frame as a grab point. Poor kid though I was going to be upset. I was just happy he wasn't hurt. Landed flat on his back.

Edit: typing fail

Last edited:
On board air! I had an ARB portable compressor set up. The one that comes in the toolbox that I was swapping between the gladiator and the TJ. I got annoyed with that, and happen to come across anether of the portable air compressors on eBay for a pretty good price. For $45 cheaper than the standalone compressor, I get the compressor, a nice mount with a switch attached, and a 20 foot hose.

I will be doing the same thing on the gladiator when the other one arrives.

Drilled out the rivets that held the compressor inside the toolbox and mounted it right underneath the hood. I was going to reroute the switch inside the cab, but if I’m popping the hood anyway to plug in the airline it’s easy enough just hit the switch right there too so all I had to do was hook positive a negative to the battery.

At some point I may extend the lines so I have the quick disconnect mounted on the bumper or the grill. At that point I would run a switch inside the cab.

But I don’t mind popping the hood, especially so I get some air around the compressor when I’m using it.
Tested it and I got my tires from 15 psi up to 25 psi in about 45 seconds.

C94EAD17-2D90-40C9-881A-2D24504359BC.jpeg

63BDA127-6C02-4E67-86A0-B6AF7738928A.jpeg

Got a link to your mod? I missed this one.

I do - that's the good news. The bad news is that my site has been offline for about 24 hours now, with tech support dealing with a software vendor's tech support in turn. Goddess only knows when it'll be back up, hopefully "soon". I HATE MERCURY RETROGRADE!

The link for when it works again:
http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-nine.htm
With all that said, its just a matter of heating the thing with a propane torch and bending it as shown in the picture already posted in this thread. Repaint and re-install.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Usual day of small progress. Finished removing the center soft top cleat and replacing it with the Bulldawg cleat. Now the front of the hard top fits side to side. If I get very adventurious, I might pull the top one more time and reverse the bolts on the Arizona Rocky Road Radio mount so I can remove it in the future without pulling the top again - duh... But I don't it is entirely necessary as I don't think I if I reversed it I would have room for a radio above it anyway - but it would allow me to mount the grab bars latter (I think the radio and the grab bars are the last things in the box that I can self install.

I really need to finish cleaning the tools out of it and give her a bath. Then she needs some glamor shots.

Right now the trees are dropping a ton of dew - I mowed and my truck looks like a chia pet, all the grass clippings stuck to the sides of it.
—-
Anyway, did a quick test drive, it squeeked a lot - checked the clamps, yep loose. Tightened them down and most all the squeaking went away. Will hit the highway with it in the morning. So far it sounds like road noise is down a little from the factory yard top, but the real question will be wind noise at speed from the pioneer platform.

I’m still learning my Jeep, it’s an 04 and at times sounds like a hamster wheel. Not the throw out bearing, just sounds like a little squeak. When you say you tightened the clamps, what exactly do you mean?

Reactions: John Cooper
I do - that's the good news. The bad news is that my site has been offline for about 24 hours now, with tech support dealing with a software vendor's tech support in turn. Goddess only knows when it'll be back up, hopefully "soon". I HATE MERCURY RETROGRADE!

[URL][URL]http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-nine.htm[/URL][/URL]

With all that said, its just a matter of heating the thing with a propane torch and bending it as shown in the picture already posted in this thread. Repaint and re-install.

Yes also the way it was before,we were on a trail last week in Arkansas and the Jeep was so flexed I guess from it being so close to the rear of the console the transfer case went into neutral,talk about an oh shit moment,so I had to do the bend.

Last edited:

http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-nine.htm
Site is back up and running, so the above link works again; although my counter script is now broken. I HATE MERCURY RETROGRADE!!