What did you do to your TJ today?

I’m planning MORryde hinges and tailgate reinforcement but first the old hinges need to come off. Many have documented their struggles with this and the info was helpful. 1) Apparently PO tried this before. There was a broken T-40 security bit in one of the bolts. 2) Two of 8 T-40 torx bolts came out easily then my original square drive T-40 socket on my impact driver gave up. 3) Three more came out harder but still with a T-40 socket (Snap On heavy duty removal bit no. FTXB40E).
278E4FC8-82E2-41AA-A34F-0C1D13BE1503.jpeg

The Snap-On bit didn’t break but my impact wouldn’t move the last 3 so I drilled them out with a 5/16” bit slow and steady (a tip from @mrblaine). But now the bolt shafts still need to come out:
0970E2EA-61F4-48F3-BF1B-A1D567FD9CEF.jpeg

Time for the easy out:
C42BE098-5EEA-4F52-8D42-BC883CF2B062.jpeg

I win. 😃
(They were tight but there didn’t seem to be any thread locker)
Next, I was planning on cleaning up and maybe waxing the paint under the hinges and bolting on the MORryde stuff. But…no paint under the hinges!
73F832F0-719E-4E29-AFB2-56ED9B17505D.jpeg

Thanks Chrysler 🙄. Guess I’ll do some more prep and paint… tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’m planning MORryde hinges and tailgate reinforcement but first the old hinges need to come off. Many have documented their struggles with this and the info was helpful. 1) Apparently PO tried this before. There was a broken T-40 security bit in one of the bolts. 2) Two of 8 T-40 torx bolts came out easily then my original square drive T-40 socket on my impact driver gave up. 3) Three more came out harder but still with a T-40 socket (Snap On heavy duty removal bit no. FTXB40E).
View attachment 361639
The Snap-On bit didn’t break but my impact wouldn’t move the last 3 so I drilled them out with a 5/16” bit slow and steady (a tip from @mrblaine). But now the bolt shafts still need to come out:
View attachment 361640
Time for the easy out:
View attachment 361641
I win. 😃
(They were tight but there didn’t seem to be any thread locker)
Next, I was planning on cleaning up and maybe waxing the paint under the hinges and bolting on the MORryde stuff. But…no paint under the hinges!
View attachment 361642

No wonder the paint job on these are such crap. Chrysler starts with a C and so does Crap ! Only had my 69 Roadrunner 9 months and the body had so many rattles in it from brand new , had to make a clutch pivot because it was made so bad , bent and wouldn't disengage the clutch.

Before you get too disgusted over the missing paint, it helps to figure out how you would do it differently and thus learn why the paint is not there.

How would you do it? If you paint under the hinges, then you have to put the tail gate on after paint, assemble the hinges to it, hang the gate on the tub, adjust the gate to make the latch work properly and now you are not only fucking up the paint at the gate and tub by sliding both sides of the hinge over it, you're fucking up the paint in the screw heads.

The ONLY way it can be done and not get a warranty claim on every paint job as soon as it hits the dealership is how they did it. Assemble, adjust, and then run it through paint. And for all the sniveling, no paint under the hinge doesn't mean it wasn't protected which is easily seen by the lack of rust. ;)

Last edited:
No wonder the paint job on these are such crap. Chrysler starts with a C and so does Crap ! Only had my 69 Roadrunner 9 months and the body had so many rattles in it from brand new , had to make a clutch pivot because it was made so bad , bent and wouldn't disengage the clutch.

How to say I don't know shit about automotive paint without saying I don't know shit about paint.

80mph up a 6% grade on I-17 headed to Sedona. 4000rpm+ in fourth gear a couple weeks ago. The return trip was less eventful.

80mph past here? I hope they haven't brought back photo radar traps on I-17 :mad:

That's a story for another day, I will say it's not cheap hiring a lawyer to represent you in AZ when you live in Massachusetts :cautious:

IMG_0937.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
What, hills and snow? I drive that every winter. Never been mangled or killed, nor even an accident. Just gotta know how to drive.
All joking aside, I most definitely do NOT know how to drive in snow - so I stay the Hell away from it. I *do* however, know how to drive in the mountains - and its amazing how many people do not!

Before you get too disgusted over the missing paint, it helps to figure out how you would do it differently and thus learn why the paint is not there.

How would you do it? If you paint under the hinges, then you have to put the tail gate on after paint, assemble the hinges to it, hang the gate on the tub, adjust the gate to make the latch work properly and now you are not only fucking up the paint at the gate and tub by sliding both sides of the hinge over it, you're fucking up the paint in the screw heads.

The ONLY way it can be done and not get a warranty claim on every paint job as soon as it hits the dealership is how they did it. Assemble, adjust, and then run it through paint. And for all the sniveling, no paint under the hinge doesn't mean it wasn't protected which is easily seen by the lack of rust. ;)

Yes, you are correct, I think. I have some understanding of business economics. My ‘97 Sport probably stickered for around $17K and Chrysler‘s budget for bringing the TJ to market was reportedly around 10-15% of normal at the time for a new model. It’s a simple but excellent design. Nevertheless, more than some other mass produced cars of the era, the execution is lacking in some areas, though likely cost effective (e.g. the stock paint job on mine is suboptimal in multiple places).

I will also continue to whine about having to do some painting as part of this project. I hate painting.

Reactions: Wildman
Yes, you are correct, I think. I have some understanding of business economics. My ‘97 Sport probably stickered for around $17K and Chrysler‘s budget for bringing the TJ to market was reportedly around 10-15% of normal at the time for a new model. It’s a simple but excellent design. Nevertheless, more than some other mass produced cars of the era, the execution is lacking in some areas, though likely cost effective (e.g. the stock paint job on mine is suboptimal in multiple places).

I will also continue to whine about having to do some painting as part of this project. I hate painting.

Business economics have zero to do with it. How do you install and adjust the hood, doors, tail gate and the associated hinges after paint? Just lay out the process step by step and then explain how to prevent any discernible damage to the paint in those areas that will be there from the actual adjusting procedures.

The only part economics play into it is the after delivery warranty claims for damaged paint since it is not possible to adjust those items without damage to the paint. They also can NOT be fixed or repaired at the factory level.

Business economics have zero to do with it. How do you install and adjust the hood, doors, tail gate and the associated hinges after paint? Just lay out the process step by step and then explain how to prevent any discernible damage to the paint in those areas that will be there from the actual adjusting procedures.

The only part economics play into it is the after delivery warranty claims for damaged paint since it is not possible to adjust those items without damage to the paint. They also can NOT be fixed or repaired at the factory level.

Well, how about a thin clear plastic washer a couple of mm larger than the hinge, maybe with adhesive on one side? Or a molded rubber gasket?

Well, how about a thin clear plastic washer a couple of mm larger than the hinge, maybe with adhesive on one side? Or a molded rubber gasket?

You got some of them fancy ass gaskets for the Torx recess in all the bolts?

All you folks have to do is send one TJ out for paint and then figure out how to make it look like you didn't fuck it up when you get it back and try to install all the pieces.

Reactions: Woodrow
You got some of them fancy ass gaskets for the Torx recess in all the bolts?

All you folks have to do is send one TJ out for paint and then figure out how to make it look like you didn't fuck it up when you get it back and try to install all the pieces.

I may do that, at some point😀