What did you do to your TJ today?

Truetrac for the 35 ordered , 800.00 I spent for both lockers not bad. Just can't make up my mind if I want to change the 4.10's out for 4.56's ? I think I am going to drive it a bit more , maybe down some trails . It will be another 560.00 in parts for the 4.56 which is not bad and I think it will perk it up with the 31 mud tires I have on it. I think if I'm going to tear into the chunk I should re-gear and have all new everything and I will be happier with the 4.56's , what do y'all think ????

When I bought my tj it had 3.73 gears and 33s which actually measure 32. I could barely move it. Went to 4.56 still with the same tires. World of difference. Pull hills in 5th and build speed. Going to 36 swampers because I already know how they pair to the 4.56s. Had that combo in my cj5. Those 4.10s with your 31s should be working pretty well. If you plan to go with bigger tires you'll want to regear.

Just a quick change today. Swaped out the JVC cd head unit for an Alpine BT head unit.

20220928_000007.jpg

Finally got my OEM side steps on yesterday evening.
Accidentally got grade 5 bolts, should I be using grade 8?

They're steps. Not really exposed to extreme shear forces. Grade 5 is overkill. Unless you're living a 600lb life. Then I withdraw my previous assessment. 🤣

When I bought my tj it had 3.73 gears and 33s which actually measure 32. I could barely move it. Went to 4.56 still with the same tires. World of difference. Pull hills in 5th and build speed. Going to 36 swampers because I already know how they pair to the 4.56s. Had that combo in my cj5. Those 4.10s with your 31s should be working pretty well. If you plan to go with bigger tires you'll want to regear.

Thanks for the post, the 4.10 is working just fine around town, never get out of forth . Zips right up to 45 very comfortable . On the interstate it is hard to keep it in 5th running 70 and in 4th it is more comfortable doing 65 but I feel it is burning too much gas. Do you know what RPM you are turning at 70 in 5th ? I don't plan on a lot road trips we have a lot of trails around here and a little tooling around town. This is not my daily driver it's a toy more or less but I will enjoy it a lot. We like to take the dogs for rides , no back seat , the back is their playground .
Now my TJ is a 2.5L and I think the 4.56 ratio would give me more power , but if I go to the diesel will it hurt as they work at a lower RPM ???

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, the 4.10 is working just fine around town, never get out of forth . Zips right up to 45 very comfortable . On the interstate it is hard to keep it in 5th running 70 and in 4th it is more comfortable doing 65 but I feel it is burning too much gas. Do you know what RPM you are turning at 70 in 5th ? I don't plan on a lot road trips we have a lot of trails around here and a little tooling around town. This is not my daily driver it's a toy more or less but I will enjoy it a lot. We like to take the dogs for rides , no back seat , the back is their playground .
Now my TJ is a 2.5L and I think the 4.56 ratio would give me more power , but if I go to the diesel will it hurt as they work at a lower RPM ???

Engine size does matter. I have the 4.0 so I have a lot more torque at my disposal. I'm just under 3000 rpm at 70. I haven't had any experience with diesel in a tj so I can't really speak to that.

Dropped the TJ at the shop where it just had a 44 put in the rear axles lockers and gears, its leaking on driver side. He says he will take care of it but told me the bearing had some play so hes going to look into it.

Had a few minutes before leaving for work so I decided to fuck around with the rear track bar as it’s been seized into place the two years I’ve owned my Jeep. With a few choice cuss words and some elbow grease I got it out. I have some Moog bushings to put back in and a bracket to try out to see if it will center the rear axle any better. It was a tight squeeze between the gas tank skid and the track bar so I’m not going to hold my breath on getting the bracket installed today.

4BD00D5D-6A15-416F-9082-7E4200768413.jpeg

D39FA5C6-AFC1-4A47-99DD-467BF1C6F36E.jpeg

6B6E44DA-FF22-4EC4-AFA7-C0514DDBD667.jpeg

Had a few minutes before leaving for work so I decided to fuck around with the rear track bar as it’s been seized into place the two years I’ve owned my Jeep. With a few choice cuss words and some elbow grease I got it out. I have some Moog bushings to put back in and a bracket to try out to see if it will center the rear axle any better. It was a tight squeeze between the gas tank skid and the track bar so I’m not going to hold my breath on getting the bracket installed today.

View attachment 362787

View attachment 362788

View attachment 362789

I HATE rusted crap. Nicely done...

Cycled the suspension with the tires on today. Learned that my Bilsteins are way too long(which makes me happy. Sick of this stiff ride) and found that I won’t need any bump stop spacers in the rear, which also makes me happy. The axle is nice and centered in the wheel well, despite what the angle of the picture shows. So far so good! I ran out of time today but tomorrow I’ll do this again and measure for shock lengths. Maybe I’ll order some Rancho’s this weekend 😎

A37D55E9-A53F-4AB7-8F61-C86BCD3A2C1A.jpeg