What did you do to your TJ today?

Do you have a picture of the etching? I'm not seeing it in their photos.

You can see it top and bottom left of the housing. It's relatively small, but there.

20221001_204104-jpg.363746

Had some play in one side of my axle u-joints. Ordered Spicer for those and Detroit Axle ball joints ($43 for all 4) and wheel/bearing hub assemblies ($88 for both). I've had good luck with them in the past and they have a 10 year warranty. I'm going to have to pay my mechanic to do the work. :(

UPDATE!
I was just quoted $300 (3 hours) per side labor, so I might be doing it in the parking lot at night, so I don't get evicted. My back surgery will cost me less than that (poor folks Medicaid).:cautious:

Last edited:
I decided I hate my 5000x rear shocks and discovered that I'm not alone.

Everything Jeep/life related is so opinion based. People have different preferences and needs. Are you going to try the Skyjacker Black Max shocks next?
p.s. I hear Kamala Harris is running for President in 2024 and Milestar Patagonia is having a sale on their tires then too. Such important, difficult decisions we all have to make.

Everything Jeep/life related is so opinion based. People have different preferences and needs. Are you going to try the Skyjacker Black Max shocks next?
p.s. I hear Kamala Harris is running for President in 2024 and Milestar Patagonia is having a sale on their tires then too. Such important, difficult decisions we all have to make.

Why? Cause their all in your coilspring perches?or you don’t like the ride?

Why? Cause you don’t like the feel or because their in your coilspring perches?

Oh, no, not that at all. My failure to set them up correctly would have been the same for any shock. The rear end doesn't feel controlled or predictable. The front and rear seem to fight each other at around-town speeds. I have about 2,000 miles on them, thinking I might try something else for comparison.

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
Oh, no, not that at all. My failure to set them up correctly would have been the same for any shock. The rear end doesn't feel controlled or predictable. The front and rear seem to fight each other at around-town speeds. I have about 2,000 miles on them, thinking I might try something else for comparison.

I share the same sentiment on the RS5000X. The fronts felt fine on my last Jeep but the rears still felt way too stiff. When I had people in the back seat the rears felt really really good but we’re talking about 350lbs of extra weight.

Reactions: PRNDL
I've heard mixed things about Rancho. I do have a Rancho steering stabilizer that looks really old. Would you guys recommend replacing it or use another brand? She's been riding fine so I have just left it alone.

I share the same sentiment on the RS5000X. The fronts felt fine on my last Jeep but the rears still felt way too stiff. When I had people in the back seat the rears felt really really good but we’re talking about 350lbs of extra weight.

Yep, that's it exactly. No specific issues/complaints with the fronts, but the rears just seem too stiff. I rarely have passengers or cargo in the back and the soft top completely removed. Every once in a while, when we load it down with the whole family, it rides pretty well, but that's with three kids in the back seat(🤫) and the wife up front.

Yep, that's it exactly. No specific issues/complaints with the fronts, but the rears just seem too stiff. I rarely have passengers or cargo in the back and the soft top completely removed. Every once in a while, when we load it down with the whole family, it rides pretty well, but that's with three kids in the back seat(🤫) and the wife up front.

Same here the whole family usually in the Jeep. I find mine rides much better than the RC crap they replaced.

This and a better travel length match (for my setup) is what drove me to the Black Max shocks. Almost a year into having them and they have performed admirably for an inexpensive shock. For me, the two biggest pluses are a better ride and more control over bumpy surfaces. To be fair, some have reported quality issues, but I haven't had any myself.

This and a better travel length match (for my setup) is what drove me to the Black Max shocks. Almost a year into having them and they have performed admirably for an inexpensive shock. For me, the two biggest pluses are a better ride and more control over bumpy surfaces. To be fair, some have reported quality issues, but I haven't had any myself.

These are on my list to try once I get my adjustable control arms, trac bars, and bumps set up.

That's the direction I am exploring. The cost is low enough for me to be willing to experiment. I've read all the threads I could find; your and @Mike_H's feedback have been very valuable - including his quality issues. I need to take a few more measurements and I'll be ready to order a set. I'm interested to see how the ride compares.

That's the direction I am exploring. The cost is low enough for me to be willing to experiment. I've read all the threads I could find; your and @Mike_H's feedback have been very valuable - including his quality issues. I need to take a few more measurements and I'll be ready to order a set. I'm interested to see how the ride compares.

Let me know what your measurements are. I have a set of nearly new rear BM shocks I can send you to try out, if you're interested. You could try them and ship them back, once you make a decision. I'll need to verify which ones they are though.

Had some play in one side of my axle u-joints. Ordered Spicer for those and Detroit Axle ball joints ($43 for all 4) and wheel/bearing hub assemblies ($88 for both). I've had good luck with them in the past and they have a 10 year warranty. I'm going to have to pay my mechanic to do the work. :(

UPDATE!
I was just quoted $300 (3 hours) per side labor, so I might be doing it in the parking lot at night, so I don't get evicted. My back surgery will cost me less than that (poor folks Medicaid).:cautious:

Bring it up to Martinsburg and I’ll slap it together for ya. I have all the tools required. Weekends are pretty much open.

Found myself waiting around for a while today in a parking lot, so I went out once into the cold rain to put my newly rewired third brake light back on the car and I'll put the cover back on over those wires as soon as the rain stops.

This hurricane has brought us non-stop rain and some of that is getting into the floor of the front seats. I patched some gaps in the tailgate temporarily with duct tape to keep some heat in. I think I've for sure decided that I'd love to go with a hard top instead of this soft top it came with.
Pulled up more carpet, the middle section of it. Missing drain plugs on some, but doesn't look too bad underneath.

IMG_20221003_182148.jpg

IMG_20221003_191649.jpg