What did you do to your TJ today?

Spent the day chasing electrical. Aimed my headlamps, replaced my 10 year old Hella halogen spots with some Hella LEDs. And upgraded the taillamps too. Installing spots on the A pillars next week once I get my power distribution block built.

20221009_162729.jpg

20221009_182457.jpg

How about a new twist on this thread? Instead of "what did you do to your TJ today," how about "should I work on my TJ today?" I finally have everything I need to start the extensive mods on my LJ (see my profile for the long to-do list). However, my LJ is the current backup for my daily driver, a '98 Subaru with 378k on the odometer. I have a 2001 Expedition, but it blew a head gasket a while ago and sits waiting for attention. I really should do that project next so that I have a backup vehicle for the Subaru, which is sure to have something fail on it while building the LJ, leaving me without wheels. However, the LJ project will be much more fun! What do you enablers think? Throw caution to the wind and start the LJ build, or be prudent and get the Expedition running again, first?

I have two beater cars for when I need to work on my Jeep. A 06' Scion XA and 03' Hyundai Elantra. The tires and wheels on my Jeep cost more than both of my cars together. They come in handy though.

Last edited:
How did you know. The sound, and how loud was it. I have to stop thinking about broken skirts while I'm driving around. I am cursing myself

Sounds like this. I heard a sound when I pulled out from my daughters school that sounded like I ran over a plastic water bottle or something. I had the doors off so it was audible. Then the knock persisted. I thought it was my lifters but it could have been a damaged piston all along who knows. I did rebuild the top end before pulling the pan and finding the real problem lol

Attachments

• IMG_7697.MOV
    29.9 MB
This is the first thing I've done in probably 10 or 12 weeks that amounts to anything at all: I fixed the vacuum gauge that didn't work correctly when I put it in just before the super hot weather hit.
View attachment 365494
Now it works correctly, instead of showing max vacuum as about 6 accompanied by a loud hiss. Vacuum line had a hole pinched in it from my screwing up the assembly.

Now I can continue with the compressor install - the pressure gauge above the vacuum gauge is the next thing to get hooked up. Then the tank and rear outlet, and that's done and on to installing the H&R springs so I can get my 31s!

Where did you get that gauge at? Would be neat to have that reading.

How about a new twist on this thread? Instead of "what did you do to your TJ today," how about "should I work on my TJ today?" I finally have everything I need to start the extensive mods on my LJ (see my profile for the long to-do list). However, my LJ is the current backup for my daily driver, a '98 Subaru with 378k on the odometer. I have a 2001 Expedition, but it blew a head gasket a while ago and sits waiting for attention. I really should do that project next so that I have a backup vehicle for the Subaru, which is sure to have something fail on it while building the LJ, leaving me without wheels. However, the LJ project will be much more fun! What do you enablers think? Throw caution to the wind and start the LJ build, or be prudent and get the Expedition running again, first?

Umm… that’s a long list. I would fix the head gasket in the Expedition so you can work on your Jeep with less stress.

edit: winter is coming.

Had a great time, looking forward to next time! Sorry about the pinstripes 🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️ they happen. wouldn't be as much fun without them.
We have a cabin on Ambrose Lake north of West Branch, always looking for people to bounce around with!

possibly within the next few weeks we may be up around the area again, could let you know. were just idling around on the sandy two tracks avoiding the muddy spots.

Reactions: matkal