What did you do to your TJ today?

Since I had the alternator out decided to crimp up a 4 g wire and replace the original. Wrapping electrical tape when it's so cold it won't stick without a heat gun sucks.

Didn't order a cable kit because I already have military lugs and it's too cold to do the rest of it.

-Mac

IMG20221213132913.jpg

So, I picked up these today! It's been impossible to find black half doors with khaki interior panels. They weren't cheap, but everything is there, including mirrors and the key, and everything works and is in very good condition.

View attachment 382461

View attachment 382462

Nice,
You'll need to rekey them to match your other doors and remove the lock rod for the inside lock lever so they can only be locked and unlocked with the key. That helps cut down on theft of them.
There are good posts about how to do that, I did both mods on mine.

Nice,
You'll need to rekey them to match your other doors and remove the lock rod for the inside lock lever so they can only be locked and unlocked with the key. That helps cut down on theft of them.
There are good posts about how to do that, I did both mods on mine.

Yeah, its amazing how light they are and how easy they could be taken off and carried away. I don't use the hinge pin nuts on my full size doors, but I think I will on these.

Also, they came with a key which is nice, but yeah, i'd like to get them keyed the same as my other locks.

Good idea removing the lock rod as well, I'll look into that. I paid enough for em' so I hate to have em' stolen!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: RINC
Yeah, its amazing how light they are and how easy they could be taken off and carried away. I don't use the hinge pin nuts on my full size doors, but I think I will on these.

Also, they came with a key which is nice, but yeah, i'd like to get them keyed the same as my other locks.

Good idea removing the lock rod as well, I'll look into that. I paid enough for em' so I hate to have em' stolen!

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you don't mind having a different key for the doors it's easy to remove the inner lever lock rod, then just key lock them every time you walk away and don't have to worry about someone else using them on their Jeep..
I don't put the hinge nuts on mine either just in case I want to pull them off easily.

You will get funny looks though when you have to unlock a topless windowless Jeep with a key..🤪🤪

If you don't mind having a different key for the doors it's easy to remove the inner lever lock rod, then just key lock them every time you walk away and don't have to worry about someone else using them on their Jeep..
I don't put the hinge nuts on mine either just in case I want to pull them off easily.

You will get funny looks though when you have to unlock a topless windowless Jeep with a key..🤪🤪

Yeah, I've had the panels off on my full doors and on a bunch of other vehicles so removing the lock rod won't be a problem.

As for funny looks, hell, I get them anyway lol!

I couldn’t allow the side steps to show up the front fender extensions…

Removed them, sanded, sanded, sanded, then primed and painted with textured gloss black to ‘match’ the other parts.
Had to drill out the original riv nuts, but decided on stainless hardware and ‘well nuts’ so I didn’t have to buy another ‘one-use’ tool.

I think they came out pretty good.

Good enough that I just did the same on the license plate pod.

677EBF9B-5313-43AC-AB98-B94D35426C28.jpeg

3458D68C-E551-47E1-B069-788E5DC132A4.jpeg

7FEF9D0A-8680-491E-8B5D-8665A7E3D6C7.jpeg

6D15E49B-8397-4425-B6CA-40C081925347.jpeg

C58D08A0-DE3F-4DBC-A648-79549EC5EE1D.jpeg

C68BBCD2-8A24-4A63-BF12-AF934E36CE59.jpeg

it's not what I did but what I saw and didn't do. So apparently a massive storm hit out west dumping a ton of snow a few days ago & that blob is working its way east. While it's scheduled to arrive here in the Keystone State tomorrow it's looking like all rain, at least down in the southeastern PA/Delaware area anyway. But that didn't stop PENNDOT & DELDOT from laying down the season's first brine stripes, took this shot this afternoon coming home from work. Not much of an issue with dry roads but when it starts raining tomorrow it'll be a salt brine mess on everyone's car, perfect day to leave the TJ parked 👍

Brine.jpg

it's not what I did but what I saw and didn't do. So apparently a massive storm hit out west dumping a ton of snow a few days ago & that blob is working its way east. While it's scheduled to arrive here in the Keystone State tomorrow it's looking like all rain, at least down in the southeastern PA/Delaware area anyway. But that didn't stop PENNDOT & DELDOT from laying down the season's first brine stripes, took this shot this afternoon coming home from work. Not much of an issue with dry roads but when it starts raining tomorrow it'll be a salt brine mess on everyone's car, perfect day to leave the TJ parked 👍

View attachment 384335

Mine gets parked in the winter to keep the salt off. I drive my DD car instead, which is still fun to drive (BMW 3-series) but I still miss the Jeep. Given how quickly my XJs rotted out even with regular washing and the last one had fluid film on it, risking the salt simply isn't worth it.

I received half a shipment of engine parts. I can’t wait to get it all in so I can start getting it put back together. I had to order a more precise bore gauge because I could only measure to the hundredths with my current setup and need to check to the thousandths inside the cylinders. It’s good to the point that I can currently measure but a couple thousandths can go a long way into destroying an engine lol camshaft and rod bearings along with some expansion plugs and a few other parts are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow but we’re also expecting an ice storm so I won’t hold my breath on that delivery for another day.

614498BD-E6A4-4CA9-BB79-E53B921E72EC.jpeg

E6ED23B7-FCF7-4832-ABCF-1C8F140239B0.jpeg

6A9978C1-681E-40C5-9924-B60668C7FB43.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got quoted $900 to replace my leaking axle seals, that weren't leaking before the "mechanic" did my axle u-joints. He hasn't responded himself to my calls yet. It sucks having health issues that prevent me from doing anything on my Jeep now. :mad:

Jesus Christ that’s expensive. I need to become a Jeep mechanic if that’s the going rate for axle seals lol