What did you do to your TJ today?

Got my old pistons cut off the connecting rods and the pins pressed out. I didn’t have the tools to press the pins out with the pistons still attached, so I used a cutoff wheel to score the pistons and then smashed them off with a BFH lol I have the new wrist pins in the freezer and will try to get the new pistons fitted to the rods this weekend. After that I can assemble the entire engine. I’m pretty excited

04B49531-D769-405E-978D-738773A974D4.jpeg

Got my old pistons cut off the connecting rods and the pins pressed out. I didn’t have the tools to press the pins out with the pistons still attached, so I used a cutoff wheel to score the pistons and then smashed them off with a BFH lol I have the new wrist pins in the freezer and will try to get the new pistons fitted to the rods this weekend. After that I can assemble the entire engine. I’m pretty excited

View attachment 395121

200.gif

Finally figured out how shock bolts and curry shock relocators and the extra bushings they send with the shocks all work together- or don’t-

Anyway I just wasn’t paying enough attention during the build and I was hearing way too much extra noise and finally got half inch grade 8 hardware installed and I’m really happy-

F0481AAF-C8C5-4C55-8EF3-DA0C3AAEF874.jpeg

And the skid finished up good with a little bit of tuck-

376F1F0C-A2BC-4CEC-9DD4-ACA936FE0468.jpeg

B859519E-13FA-4B2A-8261-E6973382CD0B.jpeg

Finally figured out how shock bolts and curry shock relocators and the extra bushings they send with the shocks all work together- or don’t-

Anyway I just wasn’t paying enough attention during the build and I was hearing way too much extra noise and finally got half inch grade 8 hardware installed and I’m really happy-

View attachment 395154

View attachment 395159

View attachment 395160

I need my tummy tucked.

View attachment 395121

I wish you success ! My old machine shop had an induction type head on an arbor press to install non full floating pins.
basically it heated the small end of the rod red hot in like 2 seconds then the rod was aligned with piston / pin and the pin was press in quickly before it cooled. It looked like it would be a total bitch / damn near impossible to do without damage without this machine.
It might be worth a look at the success rate doing this without the machine. But All the Best !!

I wish you success ! My old machine shop had an induction type head on an arbor press to install non full floating pins.
basically it heated the small end of the rod red hot in like 2 seconds then the rod was aligned with piston / pin and the pin was press in quickly before it cooled. It looked like it would be a total bitch / damn near impossible to do without damage without this machine.
It might be worth a look at the success rate doing this without the machine. But All the Best !!

Yea I’ve done some research on fitting wrist pins. I’m going to make a jig for setting depth of the pins. You can use a torch and heat the small end up and then you have a short window to slip the frozen pins in. Maybe 5 seconds until it shrinks up to the pin and then it’s stuck. I have one spare rod and the old pins so I’m going to try it out without a piston and see how effective it is.

Installed a Jeep Cables Big 7 kit. Not terribly happy with the product. I have crimpers and ends and probably should have made my own. Not happy with the length of cables. Should have come with a bracket to mount the alternator fuse. No right angle connector on the PDC side. Milspec battery lugs were high quality but didn't have lock washers. Original starter cable was bonded to the large gauge battery cable...cut it out of the rubber and heat shrinked the exposed wire to the hole. Didn't install the fender ground cable since I didn't have one to begin with. Maybe it's just inflation getting to me but I just didn't see enough innovation or convience in the product to justify the cost. Did come with two stickers!

Wrapped most of the positive cables with split loom and Super 88 electrical tape...or 3/4" epoxy heat shrink on the ends. Also tinned the ground cable for my winch and cleaned up some things. Not sure I am happy with where I mounted my relay box... thinking of moving it above the vaccum line into the HVAC box...have enough slack.

IMG20230126154656.jpg

IMG20230126154646.jpg

View attachment 395154

View attachment 395159

View attachment 395160

Did you happen to measure and see how much clearance you gained?

I hope this will solve my cylinder 3 misfire after pulling into a gas station after a 90 min drive. 3 times now this past year after getting off the interstate to top up it would start but stumble for a few seconds.

Found several threads on about this topic and am trying what @Jerry Bransford recommend in a thread.

Fingers crossed!

View attachment 393624

I fought that issue for 1 year with an xj. I swapped fuel pump twice installed a timer on my fan to cool it down, heat shield.
I ended up finding the problem while switching injectors. It was a leaking injector.