What did you do to your TJ today?

Pulled my radio bezel out and painted it up. Then I installed a new phone holder. I plan on painting the rest of the dash when I get the time to pull it out. Supposed to go check out some half doors tomorrow. One is missing the door panel inside but for $250 it sounds like a good deal. Also going to check out a soft top frame this weekend too. It’s ungodly how expensive just the frame is when buying them new so a complete one with hardware for $150 is hard to pass up. Next I’ll have to find a soft top lol

View attachment 408366

View attachment 408367

View attachment 408368

View attachment 408369

While it's been warmer more recently, I give you a lot of credit how much you have been working on this Jeep & engine in the colder temp. Been enjoying watching you're build through these 'today' posts. (y)

Reactions: kincaid.0678
Added a couple new shackles and attempted to help a poor FJ out of the mud.

Recovery.jpeg

Great Saturday of wrenching. I need to stop trying to getting the Jeep perfect and get him drivable bc he's past due on emissions and I don't need a suspended registration... 🤐

"Finished off" tub tube repair that will need more time bc more damage exposed itself, but I need the Jeep drivable. That repair is after welding on the existing tub/tube reinforcement and adding 1/8" new plat into the gap (look back in this thread).
PXL_20230318_173404143.jpg

You can see the rust on both sides that I still need to address

Next was cut/weld the cat holder
PXL_20230318_202755454.jpg

New SS Brake lines are in, still need to finish nudging them but the Classic Tube are a pretty good product
PXL_20230318_202829955.jpg

Other than the rear axle pieces being garbage... Ordered Crown full hard/soft line pieces in order to get on the road

Decided to spend no more time on old steel gas tank skid from SkidRow (been good for 10+ years)

PXL_20230318_161807839.jpg

Going with an aluminum replacement (using the steel unit to get through the emissions test...)

He hasn't had both front fender on in year so good to see what he'll look like when I can roll him out of the garage.

PXL_20230318_202902205_1.jpg

Great Saturday of wrenching. I need to stop trying to getting the Jeep perfect and get him drivable bc he's past due on emissions and I don't need a suspended registration... 🤐

"Finished off" tub tube repair that will need more time bc more damage exposed itself, but I need the Jeep drivable. That repair is after welding on the existing tub/tube reinforcement and adding 1/8" new plat into the gap (look back in this thread).
View attachment 408536

You can see the rust on both sides that I still need to address

Next was cut/weld the cat holder
View attachment 408537

New SS Brake lines are in, still need to finish nudging them but the Classic Tube are a pretty good product
View attachment 408539

Other than the rear axle pieces being garbage... Ordered Crown full hard/soft line pieces in order to get on the road

Decided to spend no more time on old steel gas tank skid from SkidRow (been good for 10+ years)

View attachment 408540

Going with an aluminum replacement (using the steel unit to get through the emissions test...)

He hasn't had both front fender on in year so good to see what he'll look like when I can roll him out of the garage.

View attachment 408543

I will return to that tub repair when the emissions are passed... (y)

Took advantage of the nice weather and installed a new Felpro valve cover gasket! It was as easy as pie but I usually take my time when I’m working on stuff so it took me a few hours. The cleaning of the valve cover and stuff was what ate up the time. I was worried about that plastic wiring loom “bridge” piece over the aft end of the valve cover but I found that if you pop the cover off it, then free the wiring harness, it pulls up effortlessly… word to the wise.

While it's been warmer more recently, I give you a lot of credit how much you have been working on this Jeep & engine in the colder temp. Been enjoying watching you're build through these 'today' posts. (y)

I never have enough time in a day lol I just wonder what I’ll do with all my time when I finally get everything fixed up 🤔 I’ll have to find another hobby I guess lol

Picked up a soft top frame today. It had a torn up top on it and barely fit in the old TJ longways lol the few miles on the interstate I tried to keep in the right lane because I couldn’t see shit out the entire right side plus I don’t have a rearview mirror. It came with all the brackets and hardware plus factory door surrounds so it was worth the trip Into communist Maryland

F2CD6926-59EE-4FBB-B135-9D23E3993C0B.jpeg

Busy day today. Between running to Maryland this morning and then to Pennsylvania to get these doors. I also worked on my leaking exhaust valve and finally got it to seal up. I just went and picked up a used best top factory style soft top too. Throwing money around like it’s a strip club! Lol

377986CA-19E2-499F-B5B1-868D9213EE44.jpeg

A1232A8F-1EE5-4BB2-BA0A-1BC4AF5FFA92.jpeg

D8DD881A-AE08-4A8A-8AB7-B9493ADACA77.jpeg

Busy day today. Between running to Maryland this morning and then to Pennsylvania to get these doors. I also worked on my leaking exhaust valve and finally got it to seal up. I just went and picked up a used best top factory style soft top too. Throwing money around like it’s a strip club! Lol

View attachment 408707

View attachment 408708

View attachment 408709

Looking at the top edge of the inner panel I think you have a set of yj doors. They will still work but you will need yj style strikers. You also have to modify the interior handle because it will interfere with the dash. Also uppers for the yj won't fit the tj door surrounds and the tj uppers need modification to one of the pins to fit the yj door. With all the other work you've been doing this should be a walk in the park. 🙂

Looking at the top edge of the inner panel I think you have a set of yj doors. They will still work but you will need yj style strikers. You also have to modify the interior handle because it will interfere with the dash. Also uppers for the yj won't fit the tj door surrounds and the tj uppers need modification to one of the pins to fit the yj door. With all the other work you've been doing this should be a walk in the park. 🙂

The door on the right doesn't have an inner panel. I think he mentioned that in an earlier post.

I'm just wondering if "HE" is gonna leave the "JEEP GIRL" sticker on the one mirror!!!!!! :oops: :ROFLMAO::cool:

Got some time in the garage today. Started the rear trackbar bracket started before church, wrapped up afterwards.

PXL_20230319_174046903.jpg

PXL_20230319_174054589.jpg

Miller Millermatic 211 on Auto-set w/ 0.30" set for 3/16".

Also drilled out axle uppers and frame uppers mounts for 7/16" for the Savvy arms install forthcoming. Recommendation from the Forum to get a long drill bit for the frame did make it easy work from outside the frame.

Replaced valve cover gasket, removed one completely stuck rear hinge, removed soft top from frame(plan to get a new one in the spring).
Also removed the safari snorkel as I have absolutely no use for it.
IMG_20230319_133650805_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230319_133840010_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230319_164102847.jpg

Had to drill out the torx bolt to get the rear hinge off. Top hinge swings easily bottom one is super hard to move.
Not sure what I am going to do abot a replacement just yet.
IMG_20230319_164007650.jpg

They are actually CJ doors and the factory tj strikers were removed and a metal wedge welded to the tub for the old school latches on the doors lol I found a set of tj strikers with bolts for $20 on dead Jeeps eBay so they should be here by the weekend. I’ll just cut off the Jerry rigged strikers if they get in the way of closing the new half doors. This jeep is a true Frankenstein

Edit I thought you were talking about the full doors I already had lol damn it now I need to order more strikers. I know the kind you’re referring to because I almost bought them originally 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if "HE" is gonna leave the "JEEP GIRL" sticker on the one mirror!!!!!! :oops: :ROFLMAO::cool:

It’s 2023 man I can be a girl if I want. My wife said it would work for her but then I pointed out that it’s on the driver side and she has yet to learn to drive a stick lol I’ll probably just take the mirrors off the doors since I have relocation brackets on the tub for the mirrors I already have. I’ve got room for a few more spare parts in the back yard lol

Got some time in the garage today. Started the rear trackbar bracket started before church, wrapped up afterwards.

View attachment 408740

View attachment 408739

Miller Millermatic 211 on Auto-set w/ 0.30" set for 3/16".

Also drilled out axle uppers and frame uppers mounts for 7/16" for the Savvy arms install forthcoming. Recommendation from the Forum to get a long drill bit for the frame did make it easy work from outside the frame.

I just bought that same welder a couple months ago. Damn nice welder. Bought a spool gun to use for aluminum. My old 130xp just didn't have the power for aluminum.