What did you do to your TJ today?

Changed the fuel injectors on my ‘05. Went with the Bosch 4-hole. Took less than an hour and made a noticeable difference. Runs smooth as silk. Will see if it helps the mileage at all - but happy with the change regardless.

How impactful has the injector replacement been?

Popped the top for summer.

View attachment 426873

Im Free Season 19 GIF by The Simpsons

After replacing my rear driveshaft, I thought I should take out the front to inspect. I may need to replace it. But I have 2 U-joints I bought to replace the rears, so I'll toss those in for now. These are sticky and rusty.

20230523_192048.jpg

Last edited:
Done. I replaced 2 of the 3 U-joints, cleaned up the center ball, and coated it with low temp grease.

The 2 u-joints I replaced each had a cap that caught a little when I spun it and another that spun hard. The center u-joint moved freely.

The u-joint down by the front axle was the worst, but the one by the transfer case was missing the plastic piece on one cap.

I've been trying to correct a wander to the left issue. I thought it was axle misalignment. Some of it was as I pulled the passenger front back 1/8". But it still moves that direction.

After taking the top off I noticed there's a sqeak that speeds up with speed and goes away when I put on the brakes. When I brake it pulls harder to the left. I'm going to swap the tires side to side up front and check the brakes to see if one is hanging up.

Maybe a bearing issue? But it's odd it pulls harder left when braking.

I've been trying to correct a wander to the left issue. I thought it was axle misalignment. Some of it was as I pulled the passenger front back 1/8". But it still moves that direction.

After taking the top off I noticed there's a sqeak that speeds up with speed and goes away when I put on the brakes. When I brake it pulls harder to the left. I'm going to swap the tires side to side up front and check the brakes to see if one is hanging up.

Maybe a bearing issue? But it's odd it pulls harder left when braking.

That can be a the left caliper sticking on release- or the right sticking as you brake, not applying full pressure. It can fool you.

That can be a the left caliper sticking on release- or the right sticking as you brake, not applying full pressure. It can fool you.

I took the tires and brakes off tonight and cleaned everything up. One caliper pin boot was torn and that pin moved harder. I cleaned the pin and reassembled. I'll replace the boot later since I couldn't get a replacement tonight.

I compressed the caliper cylinders to make sure they moved, filed off a groove the pads made, moved the tires right to left, and greased up the front end.

If it goes straight tomorrow it was the brake, if it goes right it was the tire and I replace it with the spare, if it goes left I'll take it to an alignment shop that a local shop recommended for lifted 4x4s.

I think the bottom of the inside pad on the drivers side was dragging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Oh and I had the tires balanced at the 4x4 shop I use in town. Two of the lug nuts where 200 ft-lbs. Because I stood on the tire wrench to get the lugnuts to break loose. So I had to check them all in case I need to change a tire at some point.

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and sab
Started the project of drilling and installing nutserts for the factory side steps. What a pain in the assholes. I got about 5 holes drilled today and that took me an hour or more. The worst part is the M8 inserts are in between 3/8” and 1/2” and I don’t have anything in between. Basically just reaming them out but the top holes are hard to ream with the drill bit since I can’t angle it down to expand all of the hole. I’m going to look at work tonight for a more precise drill bit since we have about 100 different sizes to choose from lol one of the many perks of doing industrial maintenance for a living 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_9410.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg