What did you do to your TJ today?

Top off-

6AF81A76-B643-4064-B9FD-017EF6E9683B.jpeg

Painted Hogs sliders

C93E4018-B1A4-4780-8328-EE053604A48B.jpeg

Started the project of drilling and installing nutserts for the factory side steps. What a pain in the assholes. I got about 5 holes drilled today and that took me an hour or more. The worst part is the M8 inserts are in between 3/8” and 1/2” and I don’t have anything in between. Basically just reaming them out but the top holes are hard to ream with the drill bit since I can’t angle it down to expand all of the hole. I’m going to look at work tonight for a more precise drill bit since we have about 100 different sizes to choose from lol one of the many perks of doing industrial maintenance for a living 🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 427592

View attachment 427593
I found it necessary to have a full drill bit index that graduates by 64ths up to 1/2" along with a drill doctor to keep everything sharp.

The hard top removal had me a tad anxious

I knew the rack added steps-using speed knobs was the ticket-

It went amazing- Could have been done under 10 minutes

DF9F93CE-699C-46E0-BB8D-8D4E130D1FCD.jpeg
- until-

We found the top was stuck like chuck. It had never been off. Oh boy.

We finally worked it loose with windex-

To ice the cake the doors can’t lift off - they hit the a pillar mounts- studying on that 🧐

A334570D-793F-4676-9D42-7696CB54A208.jpeg

I found it necessary to have a full drill bit index that graduates by 64ths up to 1/2" along with a drill doctor to keep everything sharp.

Yea it would definitely be a nice addition to my tool collection. I have a few sets of basic sized dewalt drill bits and they are pretty great for the price but only have about 12-15 different sizes per pack.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Today I finished a few projects.

1) AC Compressor and clutch, drier, gaskets, orifice tube and drain/refill Freon. I’m iced out now inside the Jeep, perfect timing for GA summer.

2) Valve cover gasket and new iridium plugs

3) Fluids: Oil/manual transmission/transfer case

Next on my list are new lower control arm brackets, metal cloak double adjustable aluminum LCAs, Brown Dog Motor Mounts, and an alignment.

She’s coming along nicely! I was surprised at the amount of condensation the fresh AC system put off, I think it’s still dripping hours after I parked it today haha. I also noticed my oil leak may still be around, albeit not as bad as when I had the valve cover leak too. I suspect the rear main may seep and/or the oil pan. I’m not going to hassle with it this year and will look at doing the RMS and oil pan when my next oil change is due.

Vinsanity28

The hard top removal had me a tad anxious

I knew the rack added steps-using speed knobs was the ticket-

It went amazing- Could have been done under 10 minutes

View attachment 427608 - until-

We found the top was stuck like chuck. It had never been off. Oh boy.

We finally worked it loose with windex-

To ice the cake the doors can’t lift off - they hit the a pillar mounts- studying on that 🧐

View attachment 427609

The bottom pic, could you use the rack as a platform? I could see me sitting up there, in the infield, watching the races at the local dirt track.

The bottom pic, could you use the rack as a platform? I could see me sitting up there, in the infield, watching the races at the local dirt track.

It could happen- Really these things travel like 24 to 30 inches up without support above the windshield and roll bars - I wish there was a way to tie in the upper legs a little- to stop shake

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and RINC
In between putting the house back together, I had a short time with the rear driveshaft U-joint replacement. Didn't get very far, dem things are STUCK!, but will try again in a day or two when I can find some more time. Sprayed some penetrating mixture (acetone/ATF) onto the U-joint caps and walked away.

Drove my TJ to work at 2am this morning and got a notice. The business I contract from (self employed) will be closing in 30 days and I'll be unemployed, after working for them for the past 33 years. :(
p.s. Murphy's Law # 4 brings me comfort in times like this.
"Smile. Tomorrow will be worse."

Last edited:
Drove my TJ to work at 2am this morning and got a notice. The business I contract from (self employed) will be closing in 30 days and I'll be unemployed, after working for them for the past 33 years. :(
p.s. Murphy's Law # 4 brings me comfort in times like this.
"Smile. Tomorrow will be worse."

Oh mate...sorry to hear that.... That sucks. I was laid off about 20 years ago..not a good feeling at all.
Do you think you can pick up another contract pretty easily ?

Oh mate...sorry to hear that.... That sucks. I
Do you think you can pick up another contract pretty easily ?

Thanks and no. I worked for an actual newspaper company that had been in business for 135 years (NOT a typo). Post a pic of your TJ and some food and all will be good for me today.🥳

Thanks and no. I worked for an actual newspaper company that had been in business for 135 years (NOT a typo). Post a pic of your TJ and some food and all will be good for me today.🥳

135 years wow....Promise I will post something for you tomorrow.....Its 11.15pm here right but tomorrow its the weekend...yessssss !!