What did you do to your TJ today?

Went for a drive. Got it dirty, came home and gave it a bath. LOL Then it started raining as I was drying it. :D

fullsizeoutput_349c.jpeg

gNeQXlOUQgWlcCOD6+sM1Q.jpg

Dirtworx rear bumper and tire carrier are all painted..

Front bumper installed. It wasn't a plug and play...no fault of Robert from Dirtworx. Remember- my Jeep is the one with the BENT FRAME/RAILS.

I little grinding on the bottom passenger bracket to get it to slide onto the bumper rail.

Had to notch winch mounting plate to accommodate sway bar clamps.

And a couple of holes were made somewhat oblong using a jig saw and round file to line up bolt with nut.

Passenger bottom nut was missing, so I used "steel epoxy" to secure the nut. Washers were used to hide the not so round holes and give it a uniform look. I wish it was a plug and play, but at least it was 70 degrees in North Carolina ;)

View attachment 76573

View attachment 76574

View attachment 76575

View attachment 76576

View attachment 76577
I'm planning on getting this setup soon too. Looks great. What did you paint it with?

Reactions: mikespine
Yea... I would think that’s cheaper than trying to go with a cruise switch over

I would use footpegs with the hand throttle. I wanted to know how you wired up the hand throttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi
I drilled a hole in the firewall and installed a grommet to pass the cable through.
Drilled a hole above and between the throttle cable and cruise control and installed the supplied through/set screw.

Then I wrapped the cable around the linkage on the cruise control side. I have the cable tied like that because I don’t want to crimp the clamp yet. I’m about to make a change and want to reuse the clamp and cable.

Hope that answers your questions.

Took some leftover aluminum tape and lined the inside of my stock tail lights, because I’m too cheap to buy full led versions. Now, instead of the non reflective housing, it’s shiny all inside. Even with regular incandescent bulbs they are way brighter. But, I did splurge not too long ago and put led bulbs in. Now, I think I can bubble the paint on the hood of a car behind me at a stoplight. I truly believe nothing says “stay off my butt!” better than having to put your sunglasses on because of some bright ass tail lights.

Wife and I were out at Sedona/flagstaff over holidays and had a great time but I seriously stuffed my right wheel while crawling down some ice covered rocks. Glad ends didn't explode and that I didn't have my thumbs inside the wheel :) At that point I stopped pondering decided we are not getting stuck because of something like that happening again - funny that your can have everything under control until u don't — damn ice!!

Ordered my Currie CE-9701 and it came in a day early — gods must have known I was bored due to the raining. Sooo I figured WTF, let's see if we can't get this installed between the rain cells without getting too wet.

Thanks to this forum's user feedback and other posts I had a good idea on what needed to be done and how best to approach it. Left my Rubi on the ground, took measurements zerk to zerk / zerk to center / tire to tire, got the old one off and on bench and set me new one to same measurements. Then cleaned up all mount points and inspected that all looked good and put the new on in. Oddly it was not a drop in like I expected but adjusted the drag-link collar a bit got it in and then adjusted collar back out. Tightened everything down and test drove down street and back without grease / cotter-pin. found my steering wheel was off so adjusted collar again / test/ adjust / test done. Torqued, pinned, and greased before the rain came in — nice.

I did have a small issue getting the steering shock positioned at the right location but again (I think the Fox shock may be a bit longer) , trial and error got it all worked out by moving mount 1" further right (pic is before final position found) so now have equal turning in both direction: one full turn and then to 7 (r) and to 5 (l). probably different for each install but my measurements were DL from pitman to (l) zerk = 38" and for TR (r) zerk to center on DL connection 42.25" as a starting point.

Test drove on freeway and perfectly straight and no issues up to 75 — happy camper. Drove it around today and I only now know how bad the original ones really were — feels a LOT more solid and I feel much more confident this is done before our next trip to Borrego Springs.

IMG_20190210_084017.jpg

Now you need to go get a light to put behind it. :D
It would look awesome with functioning headlights!!
Yeah both ideas are great, I had better plans for it including lights behind it or functioning headlights...but this will do for now. (watch this space haha )

Reactions: RussTJ
My OEM Hella fog lights have been acting up lately, and looking at the connectors it was obvious that they were shot. I ordered two sets of 2-pin Deutsch weatherpack connectors with pigtails (Amazon, about 15 bucks), cut off the old set and wired in the new stuff, soldering the splices and waterproofing them with adhesive heat shrink tubing. I also took the opportunity to add some length to both ends. The photo below shows the extended wires before I plugged them in to test the connections. I put new wire loom over the exposed wires and routed them under the grille for better protection. The only problem I had (and, being me, there always has to be a problem) was that my soldering iron wouldn't get hot enough and soldering the connections properly took way longer than it should have. In any case, the fogs work reliably now and should last until the bulbs finally give out (or until I really need them, whichever comes first).

Last edited: