What did you do to your TJ today?

Started on the Morryde tailgate. I PB plaster, heated and still have three that won't come out. Biggest problem is cheap Chinese tools. I have two Crapsman torx break off in the torx head of the bolt. Then went to Home Depot (all the local Sears have shut down) And broke 4 Husky torx. I now have to grind out the hardened torx heads before I can drill them out. Just once on a TJ project I would love to not have to drill or tap.

20190210_213325.jpg

Started on the Morryde tailgate. I PB plaster, heated and still have three that won't come out. Biggest problem is cheap Chinese tools. I have two Crapsman torx break off in the torx head of the bolt. Then went to Home Depot (all the local Sears have shut down) And broke 4 Husky torx. I now have to grind out the hardened torx heads before I can drill them out. Just once on a TJ project I would love to not have to drill or tap.

View attachment 77089
I just went through this install myself. The first 2 screws came out with no problem but the next 2 broke. I had to drill them out to find that one of them was completely seized to the hole. I ending up giving up and taking it to a shop to finish.

I also had to shim the 3rd brake light pod to clear the opening and connect when shut as well. The tailgate is not exactly in the same place so there might be a little more adjustments to get it perfect.

... Just once on a TJ project I would love to not have to drill or tap.
I here that! As much as I love Torx, I think Jeep overused them.
Speaking of, I have a set of ChannelLock Torx socket bits that have held up well to some pretty tight bolts. I think my next set is going to be impact rated...these maybe.

Reactions: JMT
Starting the OME 2 inch lift on Wifees Jeep! I think it had factory JK springs in it. It had almost 3 inches of lift with no rear track bar bracket, and still has stock control arms. It has one hell of a lowering kit on the transmission.

The PO ran a shouldered bolt for the tops of the rear shocks so I got to retap them as I was pulling the bolts out so that was fun. Off to the hardware store tonight. I installed an OME trackbar bracket, and I am waiting for some bumpstop extensions to show up. Had almost 3 inches of lift and no bumpstops. The rear shocks were mangled. She is going to really love the new OME shocks and springs. Luckily with all of the dumb stuff I found the jeep is still relatively clean. It makes it that much easier to work on. Tonight the rear shocks go on and cycle the suspension, while I wait for the bumpstops to show up.

Just once on a TJ project I would love to not have to drill or tap.

I've still got a couple of broken off bumper bolts holding up my hitch receiver install. Welding the hitch on to the frame is looking more and more like a happening thing.

One other fronts, I had a massive gas evaporation a couple of nights ago. From over 1/2 tank to under 1/4 while sitting out on the driveway overnight. I hate dealing with locking gas caps, so I'm ordering a highly visible decal for the gas cap that says "Diesel Fuel Only".

I have a Hella H4 headlight conversion on it's way that should be here tomorrow. You know your headlights need replaced when the fogs are brighter than the low beams. Time for the sealed beams to retire.