What did you do to your TJ today?

Took the NP231 out for rebuild, replaced rear sway bar link bushes with poly bushes, cut a hole in the frame to be able to remove the transfer case belly pan cos the nut on the inside decided to free-wheel [emoji849] - put stainless bolts in front warn bumper, removed the exhaust system to straighten it all up after duning had shifted all the angles out of whack, re-oiled k&n filter, replaced transmission mount...swore a bit

431690cd9069ed031a3208f37a952067.jpg

85d53aa1562121c7b7c46467df7c54ae.jpg
a5b538611015646a47f01feb5b17ea0c.jpg

0446c0d61ba39140d7bb4982da38b61d.jpg

ee0d5ca35c78ee3f8c3397e8dffa4ab9.jpg

602f2c49183efe8317e22b9dca7bc8cb.jpg

8430a5ca6b86f527b63f34b1d6285480.jpg

Changed after A year and a half of hard duning - ATF was a little brownish

1412942197441fd87224a3365ff16e7d.jpg

Poly bush

Update: Got to this point

2e85beb3f900fbe48fbd591736e440e8.jpg

Had to go buy a pilot bearing puller [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Twopoint
Painted the rear mc fender plates body color today. It's still growing on me but I feel it looks better in person than in the photo. Prehaps because the black looked like a fender. Once the paint cures a few more days I'll throw the fenders on and see how it looks.

Before:
20190525_180533.jpg

After:
20190609_203138.jpg

I put those same bushings on the front of mine. I can’t remember if I put any type of lube on them or not, but they squeak like crazy in cold weather when I go over the speed bumps at work. I dont know if I’m going to try to disassemble and put some SuperLube on them or just replace with rubber ones.
Thanks for the heads up..I did some marine grease on them ..see how it goes

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I rebuilt the np231 transfer case today, and it went pretty well.

Here it is as removed:
View attachment 97717

First thing I did was pressure wash it. And then I used a slightly-too-small hex head socket in the drain plug and stripped it out. It's the same exact thing I did to the fill plug a few months ago, so I took the same tact and ground the threads off of a big-ass bolt so that it fit into the stripped out hole and welded it in. Now I have a matching 19mm headed fill and drain plugs, and I'll never need to buy the right sized hex head.

I popped off the yoke. I don't remember using this much silicone when I installed the slip yoke eliminator. I tried using a little less during this rebuild.
View attachment 97718

I pulled off the tail housing after fighting against the silicone for a long time. I just wasn't hitting it hard enough with the rubber hammer to separate the tail from the main housing. Once it broke loose I popped out the seal and bearing and was happy to feel a little bit of grindy-ness when spinning it in my hand. Hopefully replacing this bearing gets rid of the squealing that I've been hearing. I ordered it directly from Teraflex because I assumed it would be a different bearing than the original tail housing. It's a #6207 bearing. I bought two from Teraflex, along with two seals, just in case it's a special kind of bearing and I can't source it down in Baja. Well now I know that you get a 6207 bearing in the standard np231 rebuild kit, so I have two spares.
View attachment 97719

Again it looks like I used too much silicone when sealing the case and it clogged up the filter quite a bit.
View attachment 97720

Here's my weird looking finger showing you where the oil passage needs to line up. The mounting stud with the nut on it came out when I was separating the transfer case from the transmission. I put some red locktite on it and tightened it back into the transfer case with some vise grips.
View attachment 97721

The chain and everything looked in pretty good shape. It didn't seem like it was stretched out but I replaced it all anyway.
View attachment 97722

I replaced the plastic pads on the top shift fork. The lower fork doesn't seem to have pads that are replaceable.
View attachment 97723

I've got a nice pile of parts going. I kind of like knowing that I get to do all of that degreasing, just slowly and methodically. But I also get weird stress when my only vehicle is in pieces so I kind of have a love-hate relationship with all of those little tasks that just eat up time but need to be done to feel like you did the job right.
View attachment 97724

This job was the first time I've seen this kind of snap ring - it just has a little groove for a screwdriver to pop it out of it's nook, and then you get to try to grab it with some other little implement to pry it the whole way out.
View attachment 97725

I pulled out the planetary gear to get to the final bearings. The snap ring that keeps in the planetaries is comically large and I wish I'd taken a photo of it.
View attachment 97726

This bearing was the hardest part - I don't have any bearing pullers and I'm not sure what kind you'd need, so I just went about chiseling it down and out. It wasn't pretty and I scored the bearing surface a little bit, but not enough to hurt it I pray.
View attachment 97727

Old and slightly busted, new and complete:
View attachment 97728

Here it is all rebuilt with the new "extended" drain/fill plugs. I debated painting the whole thing but I think I'd rather be able to drive somewhere tomorrow. I put a coat of paint on the cross-member, taking it from orange back to satin black, and I also painted the transmission mount because it was pretty crusty.
View attachment 97729

The rebuild kit came with a bunch of spare parts - or at least I hope so :D
View attachment 97730

Great writeup and great photos.

@Chris you should add this to the how-to section!

Reactions: Chris
Ordered it a spiderwebshade and rear bumper braces. My old mesh shade was pretty rotten at the end of last summer so I tossed it. Looking forward to the spider shade.

Bumper also needs the braces as the last time I tried moving my dads dump trailer in my driveway it looks like it sagged it pretty bad. Hopefully the poison spider braces help shore it up quite a bit. Should also help if I get/ make a rack to go in the hitch for extra camping gear storage.

Finally got those pesky transfer case fill and drain plugs to budge after spraying them last week with some Kroil and letting them set. I didn't even have to go to the big breaker bar I use to wreck stuff or heat anything up. I might need to go get a lottery ticket.

Oh, and the ATF in the transfer case looks almost new and it's full. One less worry. Now to get back to some serious stuff like getting those fool doors off.