What did you do to your TJ today?

Took the ugly nerf bar slider steps off...awaiting my motobilt sliders as replacements. Wife now complains about difficulty of getting in lol.

20190813_194223_HDR.jpg

20190815_191239_HDR.jpg

20190815_191256.jpg

20190815_195313.jpg

Had to make a field repair to the swing out tire carrier on my Dirtworx rear bumper. Going up a trail in Red River, NM the tire carrier swung out and banged against the stop with no warning. I figured the latch had let go on its own, as it has once or twice if I haven't checked the tension on it recently. I went to re-latch it and found that the rubber tip that presses against the arm had departed the scene. I picked up a broken branch that was laying nearby and whittled off a small piece, using it as the bearing surface for the latch. Worked great and held up until I got back home. This is the third time the rubber tip on the Harbor Freight-sourced latch has broken off and I decided that it was time for a change. Back in the garage, I cut a small piece of laminate flooring that had a rubber surface on one side to fit the arm and glued it in place. Works fine so far and it ought to hold up nicely, although I will probably replace it with a thick piece of solid rubber when I get around to it.

Lacking the rubber tip that should be on there I had to use some repurposed organic material. Living in harmony with nature, right?
20190816_172043.jpg

Flooring sample glued to the swing out arm.
20190819_133624.jpg

All right and tight. No rattles, no shakes, no worries.
20190819_133846.jpg

Looks great, my socket drawer is a nightmare! One-a these days........

Thanks wasn’t a bad DIY. The rails harbour freight has them they were on sale, used 1/2” plywood and just some wood screws, covered the plywood with those rubber liner from the dollar store. Overall cost probably $30 if that, and I still have spare rails left as my collection grows.

Reactions: matkal
Had to make a field repair to the swing out tire carrier on my Dirtworx rear bumper. Going up a trail in Red River, NM the tire carrier swung out and banged against the stop with no warning. I figured the latch had let go on its own, as it has once or twice if I haven't checked the tension on it recently. I went to re-latch it and found that the rubber tip that presses against the arm had departed the scene. I picked up a broken branch that was laying nearby and whittled off a small piece, using it as the bearing surface for the latch. Worked great and held up until I got back home. This is the third time the rubber tip on the Harbor Freight-sourced latch has broken off and I decided that it was time for a change. Back in the garage, I cut a small piece of laminate flooring that had a rubber surface on one side to fit the arm and glued it in place. Works fine so far and it ought to hold up nicely, although I will probably replace it with a thick piece of solid rubber when I get around to it.

Lacking the rubber tip that should be on there I had to use some repurposed organic material. Living in harmony with nature, right?
View attachment 110748

Flooring sample glued to the swing out arm.
View attachment 110749

All right and tight. No rattles, no shakes, no worries.
View attachment 110750
Nice “field expedient” repair.

I feel your pain on the Harbor Freight over center clamps.

I used their house brand clamps a few years ago on a horizontal mortise machine that I made. They lasted long enough to prove the design, but broke a couple of times.

I replaced them with genuine DeStaCo brand clamps and have no more issues.

Took it to the shop to get a tire mounted and then all of them balanced. They told me the upper ball joint had some play..

so I spent my day removing all 4 ball joints today and decided that while I’m there I would replace my U joints as well.

It started getting dark and by the time I got the old ball joints out and 1/2 of the first U joint. The new ball joints come in tomorrow so I’ll finish the U joints, install the ball joints, do an alignment, grease it up, and double check everything.

On Friday I’m headed to Colorado and I’m going to really see what I can do.
The phone got a little dirty here, whoops.
AF3DD194-6A44-4B3A-B3C7-4D8812C131CF.jpeg
Wiped the lense
5FDC62F3-32D6-44A4-B380-E7216827520E.jpeg

Motobilt Front Bumper:

61CAEA7F-A0EC-4FD9-867E-29364B525E27.jpeg

7224A77D-31D0-456D-B766-498B79E612AB.jpeg

To allow for the Antirock:

42CF453F-4290-4CD2-9D10-DBFDE37F9566.jpeg

And yes, those links are too long - the shorter ones are inbound. I cut these down about 1.5” and still need more. There’s a little space to play with but I got angry and lazy.

Finally I played with onboard air mounting locations, right now only for tires but decided to just “buy once, cry once” on the ARB. The final spot is the ABS tray for now, wiring will hopefully be the weekend.

9F5FA5FB-B9E6-4F19-8901-F7459F18E978.jpeg

9015D219-AC12-457B-A395-12A48A506E92.jpeg

The final mount:

A0E59FA6-BDC5-44B1-B130-C7D8CE6E2C79.jpeg

Now to decide where to keep the airing supplies since I’d rather just leave in onboard all the time since this is pretty inconspicuous. So far.

Last edited:
Motobilt Front Bumper:

View attachment 110933

View attachment 110927

To allow for the Antirock:

View attachment 110928

And yes, those links are too long - the shorter ones are inbound. I cut these down about 1.5” and still need more. There’s a little space to play with but I got angry and lazy.

Finally I played with onboard air mounting locations, right now only for tires but decided to just “buy once, cry once” on the ARB. The final spot is the ABS tray for now, wiring will hopefully be the weekend.

View attachment 110929
View attachment 110930

Now to decide where to keep the airing supplies since I’d rather just leave in onboard all the time since this is pretty inconspicuous. So far.
In the first pic I thought you had made a Jeep Front bumper swing for your kids haha

Painted my fender flares today, here's a before pic from last year:
Inked20190121_110033~2_LI.jpg

And here's after:
20190821_184617.jpg

And a little comparison:
20190821_163521.jpg

Paint used was Krylon Fusion Satin Black, paint job wasn't perfect but hey, the fenders weren't perfect so I'm very happy with it. It's looking a bit glossy for my taste right now, but I finished spraying an hour ago so I assume it needs a bit more time to cure. Also, had issues with some of the rivnuts in the body, 2 of them started spinning, and that's when I gave up and just masked the fenders. If anyone has any idea as to how to remove the bolts when it comes time to install sliders, let me know..