What did you do to your TJ today?

Murphy's Law.

Ol' Murph got me again today. I had some spare time this afternoon so I decided I was going to pull off my multi-function switch assembly to see if I couldn't figure out why my fog lights weren't working. I'd pull the end of the stalk and get the little green "fog light" would light up on my dash, but alas, not fog lights. Easy 2-beer task, right?

I disassembled the switch assembly assuming I'd see a burnt, melted, or corroded switch, or contact. Well, no. Everything looked really good. I hit it with some electrical contact cleaner and put it all back together. 2 Beers gone. So I decided to check the fuse box. Fuse is good. Check with multi-meter. 12 volts at the fuse. another beer gone. Decide to unplug a fog light and check for power at the plug. 12v at the plug. Check continuity at the plug on the bulb side. ZERO. Checked the other side, same story. Bottom line is I spent three beers (that I would have drank anyway) going from difficult to easy. I had both bulbs burnt out, and a perfectly functioning switch. New bulbs on order (thanks Amazon). Moral of the story is, don't do a search "TJ fog lights not working" and assume that you need to start at the same thing everyone else is having problems with, it may just be the damn bulbs!

-Cheers, Dax.

Wait. I thought the moral of the story is buy more beer?

I spent the night researching grease zerks because the last time I tried to grease the Jeep my gun wouldn't go on. I tried it tonight and it worked fine. I was working all day last time I tried and thought I'd grease it when I was already dirty. But I must have been too tired and gave up thinking it didn't fit.

Sometimes easy is hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustoffdax
Who needs a dash anyways? It still runs and drives just fine!
D200DA0E-2B04-4F58-BF9E-378C02804F97.jpeg

This was actually very simple to do. I’ll probably do a write up on it after I put the dash back in.

Who needs a dash anyways? It still runs and drives just fine!
View attachment 123561
This was actually very simple to do. I’ll probably do a write up on it after I put the dash back in.
So if you get pulled over and the Cop say have you any idea how fast you were going you can honestly say.."umm No!!"

Interesting. I would have thought you needed to remove the steering column to remove the dash.
I did, then I remembered my brother has my other car for the next few days lol.

You know I'm going to ask, why? Why did the dash need a vacation?
I’m super meticulous with maintenance and cleanliness. After months of off-roading with the top down, I’ve accumulated quite a large amount of dust on the inside. So I figured I’d clean out the inside of the dash as well as the firewall.

Plus, it’s my day off and I needed a project 😉

I did, then I remembered my brother has my other car for the next few days lol.

I’m super meticulous with maintenance and cleanliness. After months of off-roading with the top down, I’ve accumulated quite a large amount of dust on the inside. So I figured I’d clean out the inside of the dash as well as the firewall.

Plus, it’s my day off and I needed a project 😉
Satisfies my curiosity.

Did some major front end surgery this past weekend, thankfully I had a friend come and help out.

From the inside-out, new ECGS Chromoly Axle shafts, Ten Factory outer tube seals, Teraflex ball joints, painted the knuckles Rustoleum Hammered Black, Timkin Unit Bearings, Crown Dust shields, Black Magic Rotors, Calipers, and pads, Stainless steel extended brake lines, Currie drag link and tie rod, new factory spec pitman arm, Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer.

The main goal was to get rid of the death wobble, secondary goal was to drain my bank account. Both goals achieved! The Jeep looks and feels brand new. Did a quick and dirty toe alignment so it's drivable while I wait for my appointment to get a full alignment and 4-wheel balance done at 4WheelParts.

IMG_20191102_151124.jpg IMG_20191102_190303.jpg IMG_20191102_202953.jpg

IMG_20191102_202901.jpg IMG_20191102_203022.jpg IMG_20191103_182429.jpg

IMG_20191104_115608.jpg IMG_20191104_115612.jpg

Did some major front end surgery this past weekend, thankfully I had a friend come and help out.

From the inside-out, new ECGS Chromoly Axle shafts, Ten Factory outer tube seals, Teraflex ball joints, painted the knuckles Rustoleum Hammered Black, Timkin Unit Bearings, Crown Dust shields, Black Magic Rotors, Calipers, and pads, Stainless steel extended brake lines, Currie drag link and tie rod, new factory spec pitman arm, Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer.

The main goal was to get rid of the death wobble, secondary goal was to drain my bank account. Both goals achieved! The Jeep looks and feels brand new. Did a quick and dirty toe alignment so it's drivable while I wait for my appointment to get a full alignment and 4-wheel balance done at 4WheelParts.

View attachment 123627 View attachment 123628 View attachment 123626

View attachment 123629 View attachment 123625 View attachment 123630

View attachment 123631 View attachment 123632
I've been fortunate enough to not have the wobble. That was the first thing I looked for having had that happen in another car years ago. Using the Rancho Rock Crawler kit and it's been great

Oh Sh*t! I just realised this is in miles. I use that funky metric system in Australia and thought my 230,000kms (or 140,000 odd miles approximately) was getting there. I do take care of it so I guess it can really go more than I thought
I haven't had my TJ very long so its hard to say exactly how it was cared for but she runs really good and doesn't burn any oil. :cool: