What did you do to your TJ today?

Got it back from the shop today--replaced broken ring and pinion. The mechanics there gave me a trophy:
20191108_231924.jpg

I had a couple of areas with surface rust under the old carpet and lots of general greasy yuckiness. So I pulled everything out for a good cleaning, knocked down the rust (bonus: new angle grinder), and covered those spots with Rust Reformer. Tomorrow I’m going to grease up the front seat tilt/sliders, install new carpet from Auto Custom Carpets, and get everything back together.

IMG_1609.jpg

Passed inspection yesterday, which is always nice. Started the install of my new ultra high clearance UFC transfer case skid:
FD7FAD16-B7E8-4497-B8E5-B1E992F2277E.jpeg

Had to make some adjustments to the tailpipe and adjusted the rear pinion angle:
FFE5916D-1D3A-45DE-99F5-258CA1485BF2.jpeg

The muffler and top of the tailpipe bend are touching the heat shield of the tub. Still need to test drive to see how much noise that is going to make. After that, take it all off and paint the skid.

Sarkis

Pulled the oil pan skid plate back off. Started the Jeep this morning to move it out of the carport and when I put it in gear, it made a god awful noise. Hubby even came out to see what the heck was going on. He is thinking the plate that attaches to the tranny at the bottom, is pushing the cover plate of the tranny into the flywheel, or tongue converter. The thing that sucks the most is, I didn't tell him I got it. LOL So he found out because of the noise. ooppsss. LOL Not sure how to fix it so it doesn't make the noise. He say's he will look at it later.

E9981B5B-F622-475D-B569-AF7F8B37779C.jpeg

After seeing how it was mounted he didn't like that it was only held on with the 2 bolts in the bottom of the tranny. He say's, all I need to do is snag something with it, and it will break the bell housing. He wants to modify it and ad some brackets to bolt it somewhere in the front too. So not sure how long before he has a chance to get to it. I don't plan on doing anything extreme anyway, was just buying to be proactive. :D That and it was something I could do myself, till now.

Took my tj for drive north to Squaw Valley Rd off of Idaho 57 out of Priest River. Haven't been there in about 20yrs. Lots of old logging roads to explore. Ended up taking NF1920 up over Pyramid Pass and down to the Pend Oreille River just a bit north of Usk, WA. Of course I took a few interesting looking side rds.
1109191141_HDR.jpg
1109191410_HDR.jpg
1109191416.jpg

Had a couple of minor washouts to navigate. This is the third.
1109191425.jpg

Unfortunately my videos are to large so I'll have to figure something else.

Th
Pulled the oil pan skid plate back off. Started the Jeep this morning to move it out of the carport and when I put it in gear, it made a god awful noise. Hubby even came out to see what the heck was going on. He is thinking the plate that attaches to the tranny at the bottom, is pushing the cover plate of the tranny into the flywheel, or tongue converter. The thing that sucks the most is, I didn't tell him I got it. LOL So he found out because of the noise. ooppsss. LOL Not sure how to fix it so it doesn't make the noise. He say's he will look at it later.

View attachment 124209

After seeing how it was mounted he didn't like that it was only held on with the 2 bolts in the bottom of the tranny. He say's, all I need to do is snag something with it, and it will break the bell housing. He wants to modify it and ad some brackets to bolt it somewhere in the front too. So not sure how long before he has a chance to get to it. I don't plan on doing anything extreme anyway, was just buying to be proactive. :D That and it was something I could do myself, till now.
[/QUOTE
The oil pan has some stud fasteners on each side. He can probably make some brackets to attach to one on each side.

Reactions: KimsJeep

View attachment 124209

Let me try this again. The oil pan has stud fasteners on each side of the pan. He could probably make some brackets to attach to one on each side.

Door handle was broken, so put some new ones in. Much nicer to look at and they feel better when opening the door.
20191109_170114.jpg

20191109_170123.jpg

So when I first got my jeep, I did a trans fluid change. The oil that came out was really gross. I replaced with Penzoil synchromesh, with the intention of putting Redline in it after a couple hundred miles, but I never got around to it until today. This was the Penzoil after only 20k miles, I know it was dirty in there before but jeez this stuff was gross as well after such a short time! I'm hoping the Redline works better and clears up the notchiness I feel shifting into 2nd and reverse.
20191109_164836.jpg

The film on top is just some brakleen I used to clean out my transfer pump.