What did you do to your TJ today?

Took my TJ in to a local shop to have the axle seals replaced. Well, if you remember the old AAMCO commercial with the kid squirting the hose while saying he always wanted to fix a trans-mish-e-on, I think I found him... This is what was waiting for me the morning after picking up my Jeep:
View attachment 128366
View attachment 128367
WTF...?! Time to learn about my axles... I learned pulling the carrier with a small ratchet strap works well. I’m pretty sure the axle seals aren’t supposed to voluntarily follow the carrier:
View attachment 128368

View attachment 128369
The newly arrived Dana 44 seals look a tad different too:
View attachment 128370
Suspicion confirmed when the shop owner didn’t present a bill.
Sad that this turned into a turd but the AAMCO commercial quote made me laugh.

Reactions: Shamu
Done for a while with mods and repairs. Drove and Enjoyed time and time again. What a great machine.

That's mostly what I've been doing. Although I am in the middle of a stereo upgrade. Got the new speakers in, just waiting for a not busy day to replace the head unit.

Wheel, wash, repeat!
20191210_122247.jpg
20191210_123536.jpg

Installed UCF engine skid...now I have most of the belly protected. Don't like the button head bolts that it came with. I am going to counter sink the holes and get some flat heads similar to the Savvy skid.

View attachment 128126

View attachment 128127

View attachment 128128

View attachment 128129

View attachment 128130

View attachment 128131

View attachment 128132

View attachment 128133

View attachment 128134
Your dog is looking guilty then realised that somebodys cushion is ripped to pieces haha...nice work on the under-armour too by the way

Reactions: taylormade73
Sounds like the parts guy at my new Jeep dealership. All I wanted was a rear pinion seal for an 03 jeep Rubicon. He brings it out and it doesn't match the ones 4 wheel parts put in. Everytime I say 4 wheel parts I lose 100 IQ points.
Now who's right Jethro at the jeep dealer or the guy at 4 wheel parts who put the long arms of my jeep on backwards with his Home depot Husky tool set. I shouldn't have to pick one...….

• Haha
Reactions: mgroeger
Finally got started on adding an additional fuse/relay distribution box. I mocked up the bracket using cardboard, then transferred the shape onto 1/4" ABS plastic, heated and shaped, then cut out my holes.

I'm using the OE RHD distribution mounting holes for the new addition.

IMG_20191204_220143830_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191204_220154483_HDR.jpg

got a whole welder set up for free!! its kinda shabby, and a Hobart... but it came with tanks, regulators, wire, etc.. and holy crap can it do such a better job at exhaust!! i don't know why i let the flux core POS Lincoln set up i was borrowing, make me feel like i was way more rusty than i was!! so pumped, and technically it wasn't "to" the jeep, but it's "for" the Jeep.

597633205.jpg

Also, don't mind the material. I just grabbed whatever scrap pieces were laying around. Too excited about trying it out to clean them haha!

IMG_5676.jpg

got a whole welder set up for free!! its kinda shabby, and a Hobart... but it came with tanks, regulators, wire, etc.. and holy crap can it do such a better job at exhaust!! i don't know why i let the flux core POS Lincoln set up i was borrowing, make me feel like i was way more rusty than i was!! so pumped, and technically it wasn't "to" the jeep, but it's "for" the Jeep.

View attachment 128714

Also, don't mind the material. I just grabbed whatever scrap pieces were laying around. Too excited about trying it out to clean them haha!

View attachment 128715
What a score.

Reactions: Vasq
Finished the Bestop rear bumper and Bestop rear tire carrier install. Went pretty well, think I want some frame tie-ins though, as will be using for recovery and for towing a small utility trailer.
Before:
View attachment 126525
After:
View attachment 126526
View attachment 126528

Don't mind the yj with 33s and a half inch lift... Mistakes where made before I got to it :unsure:

Also, had an issue with the rear seat belt. When I unbolted it to attach the Bestop support bracket to the roll bar, it went up, but nothing I could do would make it come down! So I unbolted it completely, then held it over a bucket and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner into the the little hole in the mechanism shown below. I finished it off by spraying a bit of silicon spray lube in there. It works great now!
View attachment 126534

On another weird note, the new rear bumper's receiver hole is too small to fit the hitch's pin, but just barely. I could almost pound it in with a hammer. Guess I need to buy a new one?
View attachment 126536

I just drilled out my hitch pin hole tonight for my recovery gear update. Used a uni-bit then cleaned it up with a 1/2" bit (used improperly) to clean up the last bit of the thole. Metal was a little too thick for the unibit. Looks like warn and bestop have their bumpers made in the same factory.

View attachment 128714

View attachment 128715

LUCKY YOU!! That's a decent weld too, well except for all the rust, lol.

Reactions: Vasq