What did you do to your TJ today?

replaced bad oil pressure sending unit that not only was it giving bogus oil pressure readings it started spraying oil out of it. Genuine Chrysler parts and it is rock solid now. Funny thing is that when I bought the jeep I talked him down 500 dollars because of the oil pressure issue (I don't feel bad honestly because I had no idea at the time about Jeeps and thought it was a legit problem). 50 bucks and problem solved.

Today we took the Jeep to the car wash and hubby degreased the motor.

7D8A23F4-B14D-4AF3-BD07-6B34F2A365BA.jpeg

C14AA114-C119-4849-9221-FEF5F4E50337.jpeg

F0B2EEF1-964A-42B4-A672-1BFAABC910C6.jpeg

D64948B0-2F3D-40E6-AB61-CB90D51E00E8.jpeg

I had the rough job of sitting in the Jeep with the heater going making sure it didn't die as hubby pressure washed it. LOL

A5667060-B40E-447B-ABE1-679B11406929.jpeg

240C0531-CC20-4D18-882A-387689CD3EAF.jpeg

The only casualty was it fried my under hood light. LOL

3D5855E7-9720-47BC-B1E8-760430B20E77.jpeg

We also put the winch on as some may have read in my thread.

D3D8A465-122D-4E46-B05A-B315BFD97FD7.jpeg

So far after the car wash the only place I see it leaking is that clamped hose. I did try to tighten it some more, but plan to get to it a bit better later when I can get it on the lift. That way I'm not having to lay under it to do things and get mauled by my puppers. LOL

Bought a Gentex GENK20A mirror for my TJ. Installed a temp sensor (just clicked into the OEM harness just behind the grill driver’s side) and modified/added to the mirror’s included 2 wire harness to plug into the Jeep’s modified OEM harness connector. Powered up the Jeep and the mirror functions as advertised.
View attachment 131213
I’ll loom the wires and tuck them away tomorrow.

I took the fuel tank down to install a new Smittybilt rear bumper with shackles and a receiver for light towing. Did the fuel fill "burp" fix with the GM hose while it was down. Also installed new LED tail lights.

Got the tank down and fill hose swapped, OEM bumper off by myself yesterday. Buddies came over today for the bumper mount (which took some engineering), LED lights and tank install today.

20191229_142341.jpg

20191229_142542.jpg

Installed Poison Spyder frame/rear bumper reinforcement brackets. It was pretty straight forward, but I enlarged the holes on the frame side of the bracket to make it easier to thread in the bolts.

Also, since I installed the hard top for winter, I could hear an almost whistling sound on the passenger side. It was at the upper front door corner and the windshield. Upon further inspection, there's a small tab on the hard top that fits into the windshield plastic trim. I loosened the top and made sure the tab was in the slot. Haven't has a chance to test drive, but the fit looks a lot better. While I had my tools out, I loosened the rear glass mounts and shifted them slightly so the window fits evenly side to side.

I came accross a 1x3 inch piece of aluminum on Friday so I cut and test mounted it as an overhead mount for CB and Ham radios......seems like it will work well. Next I'll paint it clean up the wires....all while watching Miami beat the Patriots! Strange day indeed. Oh, and added an antenna mount NMO type to the spare tire mount. I know...worst place for it. We'll see what the SWR meter has to say.

1_3_Inch.jpg

Test_Mounting.jpg

trimmed_1.jpg

trimmed_2.jpg

wired_1.jpg

IMG_20191229_192308447.jpg

IMG_20191229_192323423.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a military ID or know someone one with one, many military bases have mechanics hobby shops. I tried out the one near me today, and it was excellent, had a booth with a lift and was only $6 an hour! So I got a lot of little projects done today. A heated bay sure beats sitting in my driveway in this shitty Colorado weather.

PSA: Currie Shock relocators kill your up travel. Today I took them off and notched my coil buckets instead:
20191229_132501.jpg

I think you'll find the before and after pictures interesting, no idea it had cut my up travel by this much,I think it may be because I have only 2.5" lift with an sye. Before:
20191229_121549.jpg

After:
20191229_135441.jpg

Also the shock relocators were causing my shock to rub on my exhaust, as you can see in the previous picture. Anyhow it's all better now! I think I'm going to add a 3/4" spacer to the rear to get even more up travel and offset the weight of the bumper and tire carrier I added.

Also, removed the side steps, both were broken/bent from whacking them on rocks, looks way better now! Plus now I have an excuse to get rock sliders ;)
Before:
20191229_114724.jpg

After:
20191229_135653.jpg

Also replaced my driver's side door handle, I had replaced my passenger side one a month or so ago but never got around to doing the other one. I'll forego posting pictures on it because I already did in this thread for the other one.

I'm a few days late posting my progress, but on Christmas Eve I got my axle primed and painted. I didn't spend gobs of time prepping for paint because I know certain parts of it is going to get scraped off nearly instantly. Heck, even just reinstalling it back under the Jeep started nicking and scraping it up. So glad I didn't get it powder coated though.

a2sWnXTWGwAZnfFxsO0YfDoqh3z_rdoo-8Ag=w662-h1360-no.jpg

RF_JQgYpdQ3ccU-JyoPq3EqJ86umdeBTs79w=w662-h1360-no.jpg

Fixed the slop in the passenger seat tumbler. Turned new Delrin bushings on the lathe. Works like a charm. Smooth and no more play in the mechanism. Also took out the center console to replace the subwoofer speaker. The surround was completely shot. Ordered a new Kicker subwoofer speaker. Slowly getting the current 'fix-it' list whittled down.

Fixed the slop in the passenger seat tumbler. Turned new Delrin bushings on the lathe. Works like a charm. Smooth and no more play in the mechanism. Also took out the center console to replace the subwoofer speaker. The surround was completely shot. Ordered a new Kicker subwoofer speaker. Slowly getting the current 'fix-it' list whittled down.
Where did you get the derlin and what size? Graingers has 1/2" in dark brown, is that what you used?

Thanks man. The aluminum skid was tagged at 24 lbs on the shipping label. If I had to guess, the stock skid feels like double that. Close to 50 if not 50 lbs.
I’m on 2” bds springs with a 3/4” spacer up front. 1.25” savvy body lift.
Thanks for the reply. I may definitely look into getting this done. I'm on 2" springs and an odd body lift. Will be doing an SYE before the Spring for sure and wanted to tuck things up underneath. Thanks for the quick response.

E

Reactions: jazngab