What did you do to your TJ today?

Started restoring the dash. PO hydro dipped dash camo..

1A82597A-05E4-46EC-B7BB-617DFE20D568.jpeg

41A0AF2A-15F2-4934-9076-7EDBD5B86187.jpeg

Very nice! I did the same but on the other side of the column and in a matching color so it would not be as noticeable. I also wired it up to be powered only with the ignition for those times I leave the Jeep in the driveway with no doors.
We had planned on using the tan colored bezel but it clashed. I had also planned on going to the right like you did but thought the keys would be in the way when I tried to push it. Your thoughts on power are the same as mine and connected the same. Its a great mod to bring the Jeep to current standards.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Did you install LED bulbs in any signal light?
Yes. What I did was cut the side marker light that was in the old flares and wired up the new LED turn signals on the new fenders. I kept the front turn signal bulbs so I wouldn't get a fast blinker. It worked fine on the passenger side, but the driver side didn't like it. I modded the turn signal relay to get rid of the fast blink on the driver side. However, when the headlights are on, the new LEDs and OEM front markers do not work. I need to do some more research, but I don't drive at night very often.

Yes. What I did was cut the side marker light that was in the old flares and wired up the new LED turn signals on the new fenders. I kept the front turn signal bulbs so I wouldn't get a fast blinker. It worked fine on the passenger side, but the driver side didn't like it. I modded the turn signal relay to get rid of the fast blink on the driver side. However, when the headlights are on, the new LEDs and OEM front markers do not work. I need to do some more research, but I don't drive at night very often.
I had a front side market light out and purchased an LED to replace it. Just one. It worked (or so I thought). Since then I have read several times that the LEDs don't work well in those lights. I always thought "Not sure what everyone is talking about, mine works fine". Recently @Jerry Bransford explained in a post on this subject that the front side markers get their power in a different direction depending on if the headlights are on or not. He also explained that LED's are polarity sensitive and and can accept current flow in only one direction. I went out and checked: when my headlights were off my side LED marker flashed as it should with turn signals (this is why I thought it had been working the whole time). When my headlights were on my side LED marker did not flash with turn signals. I pulled the bulb, flipped it around and reinserted. The result was the LED side marker light only flashed with turn signals when the headlights were on and did not flash when headlights were off. Flipping the LED around switched when the marker failed to flash. Replaced with incandescent and it all works properly.

Last edited:
We had planned on using the tan colored bezel but it clashed. I had also planned on going to the right like you did but thought the keys would be in the way when I tried to push it. Your thoughts on power are the same as mine and connected the same. Its a great mod to bring the Jeep to current standards.
It does not get in the way with keys but I cant see it when the steering wheel is centered. I've learned to just feel for it.
1NZQfxHzQ9CWXAU0bBe+NQ.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I had a front side market light out and purchased an LED to replace it. Just one. It worked (or so I thought). Since then I have read several times that the LEDs don't work well in those lights. I always thought "Not sure what everyone is talking about, mine works fine". Recently @Jerry Bransford explained in a post on this subject that the front side markers get their power in a different direction depending on if the headlights are on or not. He also explained that LED's are polarity sensitive and and can accept current flow in only one direction. I went out and checked: when my headlights were off my side LED marker flashed as it should with turn signals (this is why I thought it had been working the whole time). When my headlights were on my side LED marker did not flash with turn signals. I pulled the bulb, flipped it around and reinserted. The result was the LED side marker light only flashed with turn signals when the headlights were on and did not flash when headlights were off. Flipping the LED around switched when the marker failed to flash. Replaced with incandescent and it all works properly.
Thanks for the great info. I will look further into it.

Installed a button to defeat the door chime. Used a fuse tap & a switch. Tucked the switch up under the glove box. Now if I want to listen to the radio with the doors open while I tinker on the Jeep, I just push the button and the chime stops.
20200117_203159.jpg
Prior to this I had to remove the glove box, pull the fuse, and then put it back when I was done.
20200118_095153.jpg20200118_095504.jpg