What did you do to your TJ today?

During the quarantine I've been working on updating my exhaust system. I'm wanting a bit of a rumble but nothing too obnoxious lol. I've been looking at some on this site https://driverskill.com/ . Wondering if I should go with a double or a single. Hoping to have the upgrade before summer hits!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
170k šŸ»šŸ»šŸ»

20200521_135017.jpg

During the quarantine I've been working on updating my exhaust system. I'm wanting a bit of a rumble but nothing too obnoxious lol. I've been looking at some Wondering if I should go with a double or a single. Hoping to have the upgrade before summer hits!
What motor again? The Super 40 sounds pretty decent and has a nice idle note.

Last edited:
Man I love Seafoam. Been using it for years in my boats.
Treated the TJ tonight through TB, the rough idle is gone, carbon is gone, mosquitoes are gone . Didn't hydro-lock the motor.
Did my kid's last week, he's like "dad, I don't know what you did but it was awesome".
Mechanic in a can.

Last edited:
During the quarantine I've been working on updating my exhaust system. I'm wanting a bit of a rumble but nothing too obnoxious lol. I've been looking at some on this site https://driverskill.com/ . Wondering if I should go with a double or a single. Hoping to have the upgrade before summer hits!
Did you ever find some muddy trail tires here? best-jeep-wrangler-wheels
You never told us what you got.

4 day weekend for me. Had big plans. Started off with rain today til about noon. Oh well.

Bought a new fuel pump the other day. Figured it was time to fix the fuel gauge intermittent worky/no worky issue. Also, I have on occasion experienced a slight fuel leak back there, or, at least a strong fuel smell. Have wondered if it had anything to do with one of the check engine light codes being for either a gross or large or medium emissions leak. But figured I'd have just a general inspection while replacing the pump. Oh and what seems like a slow fill at the gas station too.

Pulled the rear inner splash shields and was surprised to find no emissions stuff in the right 1/4. Guess it's a later model thing has it or only California models would have it. No big deal since I want to add some trailer wiring and get rid of the scotch lock connectors someone else installed. The devil's spawn, they are.

Tank came out easily. Was surprised that one bolt I thought was broken from someone else's repair was in fact not. They had flipped the washered nut, so the nut could engage the few exposed threads of the bolt. Once the tank was down, I found the bolt retainer had become unscrewed and was not allowing the bolt to drop through the skid plate as far as it should. Easy fix.

20200522_161019.jpg

Put my strap wrench on the big plastic pump retainer and was preparing for a struggle to get it removed, but found it barely hand tight. Hmmmm. Maybe that is part of the fuel leaking and fuel smell issue. Removed the pump and discovered someone had been in it before. Figured since there was the bolt issue. But I found an extra filter/sock in the tank. Had a mopar pump though. I reached in the tank to pop the rollover valve off, but this one was built in. I could feel a ball in with the spring and not the plunger style as I've seen in videos. It was super loose and easy to actuate. Guess that isn't my slowish fill issue.

New pump went in without issue. Tightened the retainer as tight as I dare with the strap wrench.

I had planned on painting the skid plate, but with the late start wasn't sure I was going to follow through. Debated on pulling the skid plate off to clear the rocks out. Glad I did. It was filthy. And this was just half of it.

20200522_165723.jpg

Got all the dirt and pebbles cleaned and decided to sand at least the part of the skid that you can see from the rear and repaint it. I can always strip/sand the bottom with it in the Jeep.

20200522_185637.jpg

3 or 4 coats of Krylon Fusion Satin black on the bare metal and went ahead and threw some paint on the rest of it for fun.

20200522_203121.jpg

Should have it back in tomorrow morning, whenever whatever rain they are calling for comes and goes. I want to tidy up the wiring, install my trailer plug and I'll probably go ahead and pull the rear flares off while I have the splash shields out. Someone painted the flares while on the Jeep and it is starting to come off in spots. It looks bad. They are calling for rain Sunday and Monday, so doubt I'll get to my ball joints, hubs and u joints up front done.

Now, let's hit "post reply" and see how long this post is......

Last edited:
Man I love Seafoam. Been using it for years in my boats.
Treated the TJ tonight through TB, the rough idle is gone, carbon is gone, mosquitoes are gone . Didn't hydro-lock the motor.
Did my kid's last week, he's like "dad, I don't know what you did but it was awesome".
Mechanic in a can.

There used to be an item called Motor Medic 2 that you would pour down the throat of a carb and the plume of smoke was quite impressive. I enveloped my '69 Cougar to the extent you barely could see my brother and I until we walked away from the car. Good Stuff !!!!

These are good too. I used them on every Constant tension hose clamp on my Jeep back in November. I had some worm type clamps that would leak during changes of seasons. Rebuilt the entire cooling system (except heater core that was changed 2 years earlier) in November and went back to constant tension clamps everywhere. No leaks since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MVB5XS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 163475
Need to add that to the random cheap tools thread.

4 day weekend for me. Had big plans. Started off with rain today til about noon. Oh well.

Bought a new fuel pump the other day. Figured it was time to fix the fuel gauge intermittent worky/no worky issue. Also, I have on occasion experienced a slight fuel leak back there, or, at least a strong fuel smell. Have wondered if it had anything to do with one of the check engine light codes being for either a gross or large or medium emissions leak. But figured I'd have just a general inspection while replacing the pump. Oh and what seems like a slow fill at the gas station too.

Pulled the rear inner splash shields and was surprised to find no emissions stuff in the right 1/4. Guess it's a later model thing has it or only California models would have it. No big deal since I want to add some trailer wiring and get rid of the scotch lock connectors someone else installed. The devil's spawn, they are.

Tank came out easily. Was surprised that one bolt I thought was broken from someone else's repair was in fact not. They had flipped the washered nut, so the nut could engage the few exposed threads of the bolt. Once the tank was down, I found the bolt retainer had become unscrewed and was not allowing the bolt to drop through the skid plate as far as it should. Easy fix.

View attachment 163834

Put my strap wrench on the big plastic pump retainer and was preparing for a struggle to get it removed, but found it barely hand tight. Hmmmm. Maybe that is part of the fuel leaking and fuel smell issue. Removed the pump and discovered someone had been in it before. Figured since there was the bolt issue. But I found an extra filter/sock in the tank. Had a mopar pump though. I reached in the tank to pop the rollover valve off, but this one was built in. I could feel a ball in with the spring and not the plunger style as I've seen in videos. It was super loose and easy to actuate. Guess that isn't my slowish fill issue.

New pump went in without issue. Tightened the retainer as tight as I dare with the strap wrench.

I had planned on painting the skid plate, but with the late start wasn't sure I was going to follow through. Debated on pulling the skid plate off to clear the rocks out. Glad I did. It was filthy. And this was just half of it.

View attachment 163833

Got all the dirt and pebbles cleaned and decided to sand at least the part of the skid that you can see from the rear and repaint it. I can always strip/sand the bottom with it in the Jeep.

View attachment 163836

3 or 4 coats of Krylon Fusion Satin black on the bare metal and went ahead and threw some paint on the rest of it for fun.

View attachment 163838

Should have it back in tomorrow morning, whenever whatever rain they are calling for comes and goes. I want to tidy up the wiring, install my trailer plug and I'll probably go ahead and pill the rear flares off while I have the splash shields out. Someone painted the flares while on the Jeep and it is starting to come off in spots. It looks bad. They are calling for rain Sunday and Monday, so doubt I'll get to my ball joints, hubs and u joints up front done.

Now, let's hit "post reply" and see how long this post is......
I know on my 02 the charcoal canister is on the driver's front fender as is the the purge solenoid and the rest of that emission shit.

Bought my jeep a black 2001 TJ a couple of weeks ago, and with all this lockdown time, I've been tinkering.

- removed the plastic bumper ends front and back
- removed the rubber bumper stops on the front
- treated bumper rust and sprayed matt black
- sprayed mirrors, wiper arms and door handles matt black
- remove the skid plate treated rust and painted with SCA Underbody coating
- treat all the rust ( i think ), only surface rust, i got lucky on the frame and painted with rust converter, then SCA underbody coating
- water proofed the softtop seals and repairs any holes with Shoe Goo before the cyclone hits tomorrow
- built a little shelf for the trunk/boot area

As always theres more to do, for now tho, those are the cheap bits :) ah yea gotta do that rear pinion seal at some point...

Can't wait for it to warm up in Australia so I can take the top off and hit the beach and go fishing/camping.

And almost forgot, designed a spare wheel cover, waiting for it to be printed. Let me know if you want one and I'll send the files over to you - I can easily make changes or design one for you too.

Paul-Broomfield-Wheel-Cover-CMYK_small.jpg

Last edited:
I know on my 02 the charcoal canister is on the driver's front fender as is the the purge solenoid and the rest of that emission shit.

Yeah, I know they're up there. Just thought there would be some weird additional Jeep emissions thing to contend with like others have had. But hey, made my job easier not having to deal with a bunch of fragile plastic lines and doodads.

I had several turbo Dodge Daytonas. My personal joke was, don't open the hood after October. All the little plastic vacuum lines running around the intake would snap like uncooked spaghetti if you even looked at them.

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
Since quarantine i have....
-Balanced tires
-Installed all new springs
-Installed all new shocks
-Front hubs
-Front greasable axle seals
-Axle u-joints
-Front and back differential fluid service
-Front and back pinion seals (freaking out about the pinion nut btw. lifted it, ran it. Sounds ok. but still)
-Kicker sound system with console sub and 200 watt amp and head unit (Console was a nightmare, PO had cut a 6.5 hole in the very back of it for a speaker facing the rear. They also cut into the sub box. Repaired all of it and added sound deading materiel)
-Door pin bushings
-Oil change
-Transmission fluid change
-Transfer case fluid change
-Front and back brakes with rotors and drums
-Poly bushings on front and back sway bars and links
-Steering stabilizer
-Battery tie down bracket
-Poly transmission mount
-Straight piped from the 2 cats off engine back (Sounds good at idle, installing Flow fx today)
-New pressure plate, clutch and all the typical stuff inside
-Master Cylinder
-Cleaned and painted areas as i worked on
-New rubber floor mats
-New fog lights with wiring and rocker switch
-New serpentine belt
-Installed AC bypass pulley
-Found 5 aluminum rims at a junk yard for $30, been striping and cleaning them up for new tires by winter time
-Hood tie down straps

I have learned so much from these forums. I find myself reading these forums before i begin any job. So many great ideas and DIY's Thank you for that.

Right! I bought my jeep about a year ago from a dealer. Everything was fine till i changed the oil. It started knocking. I suspect the dealer or PO had put gear oil or something similar in the engine and I didn't hear the knocking till i put in fresh oil. Anyways it was in my garage for over 6 months while i slowly did a engine swap. (job and all). I bought an engine from a place here in Ohio with a lifetime warranty. With the quarantine, I'm able to look and fix a lot more.