What did you do to your TJ today?

Had my son help me pull off the hard top off for the first time since I have owned it and went for a cruise around town. JKS disconnects are squeaky, need to pull it apart and lube everything. I see a soft top in my future soon. Need a lift first to store the hard top against the garage roof.
The slope is so gentle at the beginning that you hardly even notice until...bam, you’re in the Rabbit Hole.

Got the rear inner fender liners reinstalled after the new flares installation from a couple weeks back.

Adjusted the rear track bar. Short version is it is now within 1/4" side to side. Won't talk about the long version.

After installing the new a/c compressor, I figured my leak(s) were gone. They were not apparently. Am bummed it only lasted a week or two. Found this tonight:
20200629_215304.jpg

Hosed it down with brake clean and watched it creep back around the tube and then took the picture. I don't know. Maybe I tweaked it when I removed the accumulator. That tube is not listed in the 3 or 4 parts lists I looked at. Found it at Morris 4x4 and ordered it.

Have a new front drive shaft coming from Tom Woods. Started adding up the prices for ujoints, cardan joint and the sweat to change them all out. Decided it was more cost effective to just buy a whole new shaft. Plus, it will match the rear. I just have never fully mastered ujoint replacement. I can do them. I'm just.....tired of fighting them.

Last edited:
The slope is so gentle at the beginning that you hardly even notice until...bam, you’re in the Rabbit Hole.

I was in the rabbit hole the day I started looking for a TJ. Beats the twin turbo kit I was eyeing for the new C8 I had picked out. Instead I am going to try to build a lake house, if I can even get land bought.

When I purchased the '01 Sport 4.0L in January I had the cooling system chemically flushed which showed a marked difference in the engine operating temperature.
Last week the lower radiator tank seal started leaking and I replaced thermostat and the 6 year old factory radiator with a OEM Mopar radiator.
I have been driving the Jeep around for a few days and another leak appears. At first the water pump seal would leak a few ounces when the engine had been running for 30 minutes and then seal up, but within 2 days the leak became worse to the point that when the vehicle was off and sitting in the sun for a while; coolant would start leaking out of the weep hole. Yesterday I replaced the old water pump with a OEM Mopar pump.
With the temperatures continuing to climb over the next few days; this was a good time to get the cooling system repairs finished. Guess I should have replaced the water pump at the same time as the radiator.

Wrapped steering wheel in 550 Parachord. Not great but functional. I def like the size and feel of the wrap. Not to mention the sticky wheel in this weather was GROSS!
Spare wasn’t holding air (15x8 OEM Canyon wheel) so before bringing to garage bought a 10 hole D-window steelie to match the others on the TJ.
Wire wheeled and 3 coats of black satin rattle can. The tire now holds air too so having a working spare now is nice. $35 all said and done was worth it.

41CF297B-B7AD-41BD-9C88-8FA6A2780711.jpeg

1865F45A-1CC6-40E3-A972-A814105824D9.jpeg

29591369-72AB-4E2A-B63A-097CCC0E50AE.jpeg

6E35CD84-C407-44B4-9B96-3E2FC0935335.jpeg

Recentered the rear axle by lengthening 5/16 on the track bar to correct a 5/8 inch difference in the wheels from passenger to driver side. It took a ractchet strap to move over enough to get the bolts in.

Used the alignment How-to here to set the toe in to a little under 1/8 inch. It was at almost 1 inch after the lift.

Next up is recentering the steering wheel.

Last edited: