What did you do to your TJ today?

Today was rust hell...I mean hole... repair day. Came out pretty good for this being my very first attempt at body work and the touch up paint I got from Touch Up Express was a really good match. Their customer service was on point too after my first shipment got destroyed by the USPS.
5241A7CB-8A42-4F28-9F9B-CBF041165756.jpeg9878B44B-A4C9-42EE-B3BA-8D609A279594.jpegD8F88E82-D7C4-40F3-96EF-3D49D559BB57.jpeg5471617A-3C17-4B7B-BB6F-BA27B6D870AD.jpegEDBA1C79-AFB7-47D7-81BF-3D528EB1FAB8.jpeg

Stopped by a power sports store and to pick up a trail map but in the process I parked next to something a little and something a little new. I do love the old YJs

20200721_145827.jpg

On the way back to the cabin I got impatient and hit up one of the nearest trails. Nice to finally get some mud on the LJ! Depending on the weather this week I may have to take a drive over to St. Helen motorsport area, heard a few locals saying good things about it.

20200721_161436.jpg

20200721_145827.jpg

Installed a new downpipe. The old one rusted out below the flange and it looked like the Canadians from South Park lol. I drove it about 60 miles like that. MPG went from 16.5 the tank prior, to 13 lol. Anyway, it was a PITA to say the least. New O2 sensor as well. I was going to get the combo Magnaflow downpipe/cat, but it was a money thing at the moment. She needs a whole new exhaust. It’s not totally shot, but I just want an upgrade from the stock one. I’ve heard good things about Borla.

I bought a hard top and installed it today. Yeah, I know, it's still summer. But school is starting soon and my daughter will be driving it, so I feel better with her having doors and a hard top. She'll be keeping school stuff like a laptop and band instruments in there, so I also added a Tuffy security enclosure for the tailgate area. Between that and the hardtop it should be a lot more secure.

The Mrs and I took it for a spin tonight and she was shocked how much quieter it is, especially on the highway. Yeah, having windows will do that :)

It's a newer top (without the vents) on a 97, but I'm not getting any whistling and the blower motor isn't struggling. I don't have any carpet, just a bedlined interior, so I popped a couple of plugs out to let the pressure equalize. I think I'll try adding them back in one at a time just to see if it starts to whistle.
Please let us know how it works out. I’m about a month away from slapping a new (to me) hardtop on and it sounds like we have a very similar setup. I’m curious to hear how it plays out for you.