What did you do to your TJ today?

My kid just scored a rust free '05/'06 Rubi yesterday for under $10k :oops:
Here is my driveway today (his friend w/ the Sahara is over):

IMG_1025.jpg

His '98 will be up for sale soon. After he swaps over the parts he wants to keep.
Don't know if he'll post it here though, even though he's a member (lurker). Prb about $6k.

The left outer Moog tie rod end I just put in two weeks ago failed. Pulled, replaced and re-aligned. Luckily I was able to return it.

• Sad
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Reactions: Blackegg
Chickenshit project while waiting for the hurricane. The sound bar - or sound pods in my '06 - seem pretty airtight to me, not particularly good for bass response as the speakers will try to form a vacuum during outward excursions - and compress on inward. Therefore, I figured I'd vent them:
View attachment 180835
Hecho en China - 1/2" mini speaker ports.

View attachment 180836
Hole drilled.

View attachment 180837
Press fit...

View attachment 180838
Should lower the impedance of the enclosures and let the speakers breathe.
Just curious did it seem like it helped much?

I have no idea - haven't even turned 'em on since. I'm not going to be able to really evaluate anything with regards to these speakers until I replace the head unit as I cannot play "my" music. Then a thumb put over/removed from the ports should tell the tale.

Cannot play my music right now as the stock head unit has a broken CD player which ate one of my CDs - so I'm limited to local radio which is fine if you want country or rock - but for eval purposes, I need specific classical, Greek, or Belly Dance songs that I'm very familiar with. Even a local world or classical radio station would help, but there aren't any.

Ok, 2nd reply...

I went out and tuned in a rap station, and cranked the bass to max. FAR more bass than I'd ever want in real life. I didn't even have it particularly loud - and tried the "thumb test" over the ports. I could REALLY feel air moving in and out of them, and when I covered them, there was a rattle/resonation that wasn't there when I uncovered the ports. But as for a subjective difference in sound, I couldn't detect any whatsoever - but again, "not my music" and I'm not a real audiophile. But for 98 cents each, the pair of tubes are obviously doing *something* - the air pumping in and out was pretty significant. Which was what I'd expect.

it's a Jeep" as the explanation. I lo

Good post.

It kills me the crap people tell themselves and others to make up for a messed up TJ ....The TJ Wrangler was built TO DRIVE,RIDE AND HANDLE BETTER THAN ALL PREVIOUS MODELS. IT WAS THE FIRST PRODUCTION COIL SPRING SUSPENSION A JEEP EVER HAD, AND ALL THEY HAVE HAD SINCE.

Why am I being so emphatic? Because I got my hands on one that drove terrible and fixed it thanks to this Forum.

No, it won't be a Cadillac, because it isn't. We live in the age of purpose built vehicles.

A CJ/YJ rode on 8 bushings , a TJ - on 30 plus the lower shock mount bushings.

This thread isn't the place for this rant I guess, but this forum is. Nearly every TJ I run across is messed up to some degree..whether it's neglected tires , improper pressure,worn bushings, worn parts...and most of the time it's a combination at work.

So what did I do to mine today?

Nothing, it's in the shop ...

Week 1- probably nothing got done

Week 2 weld control arm mount, check alignment, chase exhaust leak

Week 3- tear into it , leak at head

Week 4 - Banks sends wrong gasket

Week 5 Right gasket comes , it's put together yesterday, I'm dying for it but they want to run it through heat cycles. Remind me next time not to sell one when the other is in the shop.

😟😷

Last edited: