What did you do to your TJ today?

Installed the soft top for the first time. Really like it and can make use of the great weather. Will probably sell the hardtop.

20200808_172303.jpg

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.
I should mention, don't get the acetone on anything except the factory paint. Stay away from the plastics and rubber. You can use mineral spirits around those without an issue but be super careful around anything that you have painted :). Mineral spirits don't clean off wax and oil quite as well and they take a lot longer to dry.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
today I installed my new to me Savvy Cable Shifter, thanks to @Apparition for the hookup.

IMG_5673.jpg

the old pile of crap

IMG_5775.jpg

and the new

IMG_5771.jpg

Went pretty smoothly, though I had some trouble getting the bolts out of the bracket, they just spun on the inside so I had to rig a pair of vice grips duct taped to my drive shaft to keep that, whatever the hell that setup is on the underside, stable.

IMG_5772.jpg

got ahead of it on the re-install, took one look at this & knew that wasn't ending anywhere but screaming and cursing

IMG_5774.jpg

couple more pieces of duct tape & all 4 nuts went on finger tight all the way down with zero issues
61859530856__4FCCA762-6454-40B1-894D-C85E1B850C63.jpg

IMG_5779.jpg
IMG_5780.jpg

Also initialy put the tc shifter arm on upside down & when I went to test it, it didn't move at all, took me a minute of looking at it to figure out what I did wrong.

IMG_5782.jpg

At 3 hours total all in, not altogether bad for one of my projects. Now to go test drive it

Last edited:
Let's get this off of page 6.

I did the ol' drop the tank and sand the ridges off the roll-over float trick today. In the last month it was taking me 15-20 minutes to fill my tank. At least I was smart (bwahahaha!) yesterday morning and only put 4 gallons in for my commute. Made it a lot easier to drop the tank. Fortunately, I already have a motorcycle jack, that little hint helped out immensely.

I tell ya, the guys on this site will get ya spending a boat load of money, but the knowledge base here has saved me quite a bit as well. Thank you, all.

A necessary, but completely un-sexy job: Coolant flush/change and hose change out. All done except to start it up tomorrow and let it percolate down in the radiator so I can top it up with distilled water. There was also stop-leak in the system, which was zero surprise to me, I renewed that as well because I know my stupid heater core is on its last legs. If it lets go, I have a bypass hose assembly all ready to go that I can put on on the side of the road if need be. The new upper heater hose I bought is the wrong part, but will work - its about 2 or 3 inches too short.

Installed a brand new C02 tank that I picked a few weeks ago. It's a Smittybuilt tank, but I couldn't pass it up at $100. Had a chance to use it recently and was very happy how fast I could air up my tires.

Reactions: gaabbee
Got the newly panted windshield frame installed. It looks good and will look better when I wash the rest of the jeep! The inside molding fit well on the earlier frame after grinding all the slots and drilling holes for it to fit into. I took a quick measurement of the slots where the hold downs go and I didn't see any difference between new and old frames. Once all the cosmetic modifications were made, this one bolted on the same as the one I took off, everything lined up perfectly.

This window also "had" the tab for the rear view mirror. I installed the mirror, moved it once and it came off. I got the correct adhesive and will install that today.

winout2.jpg
winin1.jpg

Followed the ideas of a couple members on here (can't find the posts again?) And made foot pegs. Gonna paint them black, but, cheap and easy!
20200809_114623.jpg

Also primed and painted the used-new bumper I got, put together the winch and got the mounting plate in the mail. Getting there!