What did you do to your TJ today?

@AndyG,
When I installed the Zone 4.25" lift on my Rubicon, nothing else needed to be done for the angles. Some say I got lucky, but after having 12 TJs through the years that I lifted, I doubt it. My luck isn't that good. After 3 years, still no vibes or issues with it. View attachment 195395
You have great looking TJ by the way...been meaning to post that.

Prepped the new (used) full doors for painting. Pulled off the half doors and turned a set of Delrin door hinge bushings on the lathe. Fit the new full doors and adjusted the hinges for fit. Door panels are coming this week. Now I just need to get the new full doors painted and put them back together.

Only changed my air filter, had to order it in, I didn't realise they had a date stamp on them? new one 2020 old one 2015 :( Pissed off with previous owner no new filter for 5 years tells me he didnt maintain this TJ! Full service it is then.

Good idea, drain and change all fluids, grease zerk fittings etc. Great way to learn your way around the Jeep.

I'm adapting a set of seats from a 2011 Ford Mustang. The driver seat is fitted and I hope to finish up fitting the passenger seat today. Once they're both fitted, I have to remove them so I can clean up and paint the brackets and adapter plates.

I had previously pulled a set of seat brackets from a '97-'02 TJ from the local pick-n-pull, mine is an '04. The seat bases are different 1st gen to 2nd gen TJ and the fold and tumble for the passenger seat is quite different. I'm actually very glad I have the '97-'02 because of the fold and tumble difference. With that 1st gen base, I can reach under the seat and trip the lever to allow the seat to tumble. If I had used the '04 base, I would have had to adapt a way to connect the cable to the Mustang seat. The '97-'02 base is just a simpler design and much easier to adapt.

One big thing I like about the driver seat is the height adjustment. The large lever towards the front of the seat adjusts the height. Being on the shorter side, this is beneficial for me.
IMG_5551.JPG

Nothing crazy but made my daughter happy by installing a semi stealthy garage door button. I won’t let her keep the actual door opener in the Jeep since it’s left outside frequently. With the seat moved all the way back you can kind of see it, but where she keeps the seat it’s completely hidden. You just have to slip your thumb between seat and console to push button.

D0297E61-A497-430C-A21A-0F2DCF846B5F.jpeg

D8B30522-9291-419C-9AE2-A7A6041AE935.jpeg

It has begun.

View attachment 195497

View attachment 195498

View attachment 195499

Rear main, timing set, water pump, thermostat and housing, radiator, intake and exhaust manifold gasket and another front pinion seal......(and all new hoses).....job.

Timing chain was as loose as I expected. Plastic guide was broken also. Oil pan bolts did not seem very tight. Someone has been in it before, since it had a blue Felpro gasket on the pan. Front cover bolts were definitely loose. Fender came off easy. 2 bolts where the cat assembly bolt to the pipe broke. So, not too bad.
On the 3rd picture I see the the steel bar attaching to each of main cap bolts. I have never rebuilt a 4.0. Was this factory and what is the purpose?

Spent the day working on my a/c. Went to replace the bearing and found the coil is actually the culprit. And am having no luck finding a clutch kit. Or even just the coil.
Anyone got any leads?

Only changed my air filter, had to order it in, I didn't realise they had a date stamp on them? new one 2020 old one 2015 :( Pissed off with previous owner no new filter for 5 years tells me he didnt maintain this TJ! Full service it is then.
I don't know what the date was on my air filter, but it was completely BLACK. First thing I changed, actually.

Replaced my fuel pump. Again. Delphi. Lasted about 18 months. Went with a Delphi. Again.

Before this becomes an indictment of the Delphi pumps, I need to point out a few things.

It was one of the check valves failing. The pump was still working, I just had long crank syndrome. It was likely the one in the regulator on top of the pump, which is replaceable, but once you go that far to get to it...​
The last time I did not drain the tank and make sure it was clean. This time I completely emptied the tank and wiped it out thoroughly. There was a fair amount of gritty sediment in there — not excessive, but noticeable. BTW, Delphi states that 21% of the fuel pumps returned for warranty failed because the tank wasn't cleaned sufficiently before installation.​
The filter at the foot of the pump was not attached when I pulled out the old pump. There's no way to tell when it came off, but that means the fuel intake on the pump was an open port to grit that would keep a check valve from operating correctly. Since I began having the long crank rather suddenly after a pretty bumpy off-road session, maybe it was knocked loose then.​

In other news, last week my driver's seat seemed to get "loose" and making squeeching (louder than a squeak, not quite a screech) sounds. Turns out the left front hole in the seat frame for the stud that attaches the slide/tilt bracket had fatigued and broken out entirely. There was no support at that corner for any up or down movement, and the metal edges were making the sounds as they rubbed together.

It ought to be welded, but I don't, and didn't have ready access to a couple of friends that do. So instead I cut a piece of scrap steel the same width as the inner lip of the seat frame that would extend well beyond the break in each direction front to back. It's effectively a large washer that now acts as a clamp. I left the broken piece in as gap filler (and so I wouldn't lose it.)

Time will tell, but it's working great now — seat is solid and no noise — so until I can get it welded, or replace the seat or maybe forever, it will do.

20201010_151253.jpg

20201010_151239.jpg

20201010_160345.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ