What did you do to your TJ today?

Keeping with the theme of old worn out greasy Jeep parts, @starkey480 was kind enough to take time out of his Easter sunday for me.

New to me Warn sliders.
warnslider001.jpg

A question though, can I run a nutzert into the tub to the right of the "W" cutout ? Mine is an 04 so I cant use the 5th hole ( counting left to right ) because of the change in the seatbelt design. I am not sure if there is anythang under the sheetmetal I could damage by putting a fastener back there.

Wait your fog lights have to be wired to your high beams by law? Doesn't that defeat the point of the fog lights, because the high beams would be reflecting off the fog and blinding you?

I would like to get some fog lights but the light mounts on my bumper are probably too high for fog lights to be effective since I know they have to be mounted low
One is a fog one is a driving light, all additional lights here must be wired to a switch and connected to the high beam, I suppose that's why later export Tj,s didn't have the front Fogs in Australia they are pointless? Its illegal to run fogs without headlights and with no fog present unless the function is factory like my Nissan work 4x4 had, you couldn't turn them off on the Nissan they came on with ignition from factory.

I suppose I never really thought about it! I could wire Fogs just to the low beam with an added switch because high beam is useless in fog but they would be illegal to use if there was no fog anyway! I want them fitted purely because they look right so perhaps I should just get spottiest instead and save a bit on Mopar Fogs.

They had to relax the light law here (3 year trial) because of led light bars, before that all additional lights had to be in matching pairs and fitted symmetrical below the hood,
Each State is slightly different, in West Aust you can now have a single led light bar on your front below the hood and one on the roof at where roof rack/bars fit but all must be "front downward facing" and wired to the high beam with an additional separate on off switch for each, except emergency vehicle's and roadwork vehicle's with amber beacon use, It is also illegal to have your amber beacons on if not on roadworks or emergency/frequent stop situation.

Stupid laws sometimes but given the vast unlit open roads here with horrific high speed head on crashes they serve a purpose as to not blind /confuse on coming vehicles or Roo,s :)

How do you get those triangle pieces off?
Push the door weather stripping aside and find two Philips head screws. Remove the screws and work it out. Part of the removable seal around the window needs to come out also but that's pretty easy.
What he said is correct, two screws on outside of door behind stripping. You can lift them out with the metal piece or pop out the stripping that the window slides into and remove two screws there too.

Wait your fog lights have to be wired to your high beams by law? Doesn't that defeat the point of the fog lights, because the high beams would be reflecting off the fog and blinding you?

I would like to get some fog lights but the light mounts on my bumper are probably too high for fog lights to be effective since I know they have to be mounted low
I'm assuming @Fishtaco meant to have the fog lights turn off with the high beams. That's how the TJs (at least the 05-06) came stock. You can bend one of the relay tabs to disable this to have full brightness from high beams and fog lights at night. I believe the idea was to reduce the amount of light output for oncoming traffic with both high beams and fog lights.

Agree with your comment on high beams providing the opposite effect in actual fog conditions.

Reactions: Cheetokps
Keeping with the theme of old worn out greasy Jeep parts, @starkey480 was kind enough to take time out of his Easter sunday for me.

New to me Warn sliders.
View attachment 241463

A question though, can I run a nutzert into the tub to the right of the "W" cutout ? Mine is an 04 so I cant use the 5th hole ( counting left to right ) because of the change in the seatbelt design. I am not sure if there is anythang under the sheetmetal I could damage by putting a fastener back there.
You have a wiring harness running along there and then up the leg of the "roll cage". Careful when you drill and you should be ok.

Reactions: RINC
Needed a place to mount a phone or 2 and maybe a GPS as well as a Gopro on occasion. So, I fabbed up a dash bar.

20210326_101026.jpg

20210326_155329.jpg

20210327_212914.jpg

20210404_111353.jpg

20210404_120218.jpg

20210404_183219.jpg

20210404_183156.jpg

The side of the tub where the dash bolts on isn't the most sturdy metal in the world, but the bar is fairly solid. We'll test it out during the Moab trip. Just needed a way to mount some stuff and I think it'll do that ok.

Last edited:
What did you use to paint the tub? Any other primer or converter over the formerly rusty areas? I'm going to start a sound deadening project soon and I'm collecting as much info as I can
POR15! Its a converter. Knock off the heavy rust with a wire brush, clean with a wax and grease remover, then apply the converter.Tip, if you're using por15 on a surface that gets sunlight, you need to topcoat it. It'll chalk and fade on you.

Reactions: IrishWake
Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Finally got around to pulling the front springs out and installing new bump stops with extensions since I put in new springs and quick disconnects a couple months ago. A little clearance test in the garage with the sway bar disconnected and she’s ready to hit the trails. 9D0DA440-7F87-4CD8-9959-F1583FEE5D4E.jpegF5B4312B-56C4-402E-AB1F-485FF7D89862.jpeg5808183E-0782-4A88-8ADD-D85D12A7621B.jpeg47867550-5CBB-4305-8ABD-C6557738224A.jpeg