What did you do to your TJ today?

Add a pulley to double the line. That will cut your speed in half.
I forgot the hoist I bought came with a pulley to go with it so I think I should be fine with the speed. I'm glad I decided to put the hoist in my attic not on my ceiling so I'll have enough room

Made a holder for my 8”Tablet, it’s a work in progress. I may mount the ball in the change tray and I’m rethinking the holder, something that the tab slides into rather than relying on Velcro.
94CE1FB4-CA2F-4925-84AF-6FDE34FF04E4.jpeg
E4995F9F-1D99-42E5-A89B-BB6FD763EA84.jpeg
12A7DE6D-ADF6-497C-8B22-798177D6A3D3.jpeg

Also took my grandson for a little ride around the property in his new “big boy” car seat. ♥️
73A2C92C-1488-4783-B4DE-B4612175FF4C.jpeg

Made a holder for my 8”Tablet, it’s a work in progress. I may mount the ball in the change tray and I’m rethinking the holder, something that the tab slides into rather than relying on Velcro.

View attachment 241899
Not so close with the selfies or invest in some nose hair trimmers.;) Nice mount.

Decided to remove the light bar over the windshield, it hardly worked, whistled, I don’t “night wheel”, and I like the clean lines without it. I also removed the rain guards on the door. Sadly there is some rust at the lower bolt hole on each side. I should take it as a win as it could be far worse. I’m a lousy painter! Can I sand down that area and hit with touch up paint and clear coat? I’m not sure I can get those parts removed. I don’t need perfect, just no rust. Really happy with the new look. Considering removing the lights by the windshield next.

57E5E307-A086-450B-8632-8A99B5DBDC63.jpeg

8A312B92-8E92-4E36-92EE-00CE4E11945C.jpeg

B53B7D0C-4589-4408-AF09-34E0625CC51C.jpeg

Decided to remove the light bar over the windshield, it hardly worked, whistled, I don’t “night wheel”, and I like the clean lines without it. I also removed the rain guards on the door. Sadly there is some rust at the lower bolt hole on each side. I should take it as a win as it could be far worse. I’m a lousy painter! Can I sand down that area and hit with touch up paint and clear coat? I’m not sure I can get those parts removed. I don’t need perfect, just no rust. Really happy with the new look. Considering removing the lights by the windshield next.

View attachment 241967

View attachment 241968

View attachment 241969
Definitely looks way better! I personally would also ditch the windshield hinge lights, but it looks much better either way. (y)

View attachment 241967

View attachment 241968

View attachment 241969
Looks way cleaner!!!!!

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I'm planning on doing almost the exact same thing with a hoist for my hard top. I did not consider that it would be too fast setting it down, I'll have to check my hoist and see if the speed would be livable. What did you get for that black piece on the ceiling to guide the wire? I tried messing with some pvc stuff I found at home depot but nothing was what I was looking for
I used something called a round floor brush grommet. They're available all over the internet. I installed a 5 inch to allow the hoist cable height cutoff to pass through, though I don't intend on ever raising the cable that high. Since the grommet screws into the drywall, I reinforced the drywall in the overhead with 1/4 inch plywood to add something solid for the grommet frame to attach.

I also used an Echogear Inwall Cable Management Grommet to pass the control cable through the ceiling. This was after I added about 20 feet of 4 wire control cable. The typical control cable on residential hoists is five or six feet long, totally inadequate. I now hang the controller from the garage door opener when not in use and left enough cable that I can move around from one side of the Jeep to the other as necessary. Rewiring the controller was simple, as the controller used spade plugs. And to keep gravity from doing its thing on the control cable, in the attic before passing through the grommet, I installed an outlet box with two cable strain reliefs. Again, available all over the internet, some even at the big box stores. Just make sure to get the proper size to fit the control wire.
Hoist Control.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to get my hard top hoist set up today too. Still need a few more things to make it complete, but it works.
File_000 (21).jpeg

File_001 (4).jpeg

A soft shackle worked great to loop through all the straps and was easy to hook right onto.

Now that I have a place to store the hardtop, the soft top finally went back on. Now to see if I can live with not being able to see out the back window again or if I need to splurge on a bestop
File_002 (2).jpeg

I used something called a round floor brush grommet. They're available all over the internet. I installed a 5 inch to allow the hoist cable height cutoff to pass through, though I don't intend on ever raising the cable that high. Since the grommet screws into the drywall, I reinforced the drywall in the overhead with 1/4 inch plywood to add something solid for the grommet frame to attach.

I also used an Echogear Inwall Cable Management Grommet to pass the control cable through the ceiling. This was after I added about 20 feet of 4 wire control cable. The typical control cable on residential hoists is five or six feet long, totally inadequate. I now hang the controller from the garage door opener when not in use and left enough cable that I can move around from one side of the Jeep to the other as necessary. Rewiring the controller was simple, as the controller used spade plugs. And to keep gravity from doing its thing on the control cable, in the attic before passing through the grommet, I installed an outlet box with two cable strain reliefs. Again, available all over the internet, some even at the bog box stores. Just make sure to get the proper size to fit the control wire.
View attachment 242045

I'll have to look into those, I used a piece of pvc that I had to cut in half because it was not wide enough for the height cutoff. That extra height would be nice, if anyone tall walks under my top they're going to have a bad time

My controller cable is 5 feet which is pretty short but I'm not sure if I would be comfortable attempting to splice in longer cable myself

Reactions: Wralabamangler
"What do you think of me now" must be the "in" song for stereos to be shown playing... The stock photo of my Jensen shows the same song on its display. I had to go look it up on youtube as I was unfamiliar.
That happened to be playing on Pandora's Jimmy Buffett channel. And no, it's not JB. LOL

I put them on Saturday and have driven the jeep to work and others places all week. As mentioned by another member the passenger window trim triangle does block a slight bit of the mirror, but I really don't notice it now. My only complaint is the door if you don't hold it will swing into the mirror. So far I haven't had to readjust my mirrors because of it.

Overall I like them and will keep them on!!!
I bought some adjustable door straps to fix where the door won’t hit them

Reactions: John Cooper
I'll have to look into those, I used a piece of pvc that I had to cut in half because it was not wide enough for the height cutoff. That extra height would be nice, if anyone tall walks under my top they're going to have a bad time

My controller cable is 5 feet which is pretty short but I'm not sure if I would be comfortable attempting to splice in longer cable myself
Unplug your hoist, then open your controller. More than likely the controller is closed using small screws. Once you have it open, check to see how the control wires are connected to the controller itself. If they're connected via male/female plugs, it's an easy change. Buy the appropriate length and gauge control wire, add appropriate (male or female plugs to all ends - this allows an easy disconnect if you ever need to remove the hoist for some reason), then simply plug and play. If the cable that you purchase doesn't have the same color wires, be sure to LABEL. And remember, UNPLUG THE HOIST WHILE WORKING ON THE CONTROLLER. ZAP! ;-)

Unplug your hoist, then open your controller. More than likely the controller is closed using small screws. Once you have it open, check to see how the control wires are connected to the controller itself. If they're connected via male/female plugs, it's an easy change. Buy the appropriate length and gauge control wire, add appropriate (male or female plugs to all ends - this allows an easy disconnect if you ever need to remove the hoist for some reason), then simply plug and play. If the cable that you purchase doesn't have the same color wires, be sure to LABEL. And remember, UNPLUG THE HOIST WHILE WORKING ON THE CONTROLLER. ZAP! ;-)
I'll check my hoist again but I looked before and it did not look like there were any plugs. It looked complicated in there so I decided not to mess with it

Changed the shift shaft seal in my 32RH...what a PITA. Lack of room, cables and lines in the way. It’s done and leak free though so that’s a plus. Also whipped this cheesy tool up so I didn’t have to fight a Jack stand holding the transmission up. Worked great after to spray all the scunge off the transmission and tcase. I think I’ll modify it to make it a little more sano and add a mount so I can drive with it too.

5E251302-9569-4316-A379-17EC9DE350ED.jpeg

1485CBB3-C393-4BE0-A084-FFF59E51C4EE.jpeg