What did you do to your TJ today?

Painted my wheels 😎

20210718_132041.jpg

Installed my body lift, but didn't get around to the motor mount lift, a mixed result. Not going to do the motor mount lift until I work out how to solve a residual problem.

DSC00782.JPG

Got tired of looking at these bumper braces, so put the damn things on. The first one battled me for hours, the 2nd took the 10 minutes I expected the job to take in the first place. Take home lesson: Chase threads of nuts that have been welded on - even if the bolts thread through them!

Waiting on some misc. hardware to re-attach the stock bumper (should arrive tomorrow). I have everything I need to make my new rear bumper - except budget for the welding shop - so the stock one is going back on for a bit.

View attachment 266031
Got tired of looking at these bumper braces, so put the damn things on. The first one battled me for hours, the 2nd took the 10 minutes I expected the job to take in the first place. Take home lesson: Chase threads of nuts that have been welded on - even if the bolts thread through them!

Waiting on some misc. hardware to re-attach the stock bumper (should arrive tomorrow). I have everything I need to make my new rear bumper - except budget for the welding shop - so the stock one is going back on for a bit.
Looking forward to that damn bumper we've been hearing about ! Get er done ! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
Took the doors off for the first time this weekend, which I only barely got to enjoy due to the fact that I had to drop the transmission pan 3 times before I finally believed that it was the selector shaft seal leaking all this time. The real burn is that I wasted 8 quarts of ATF believing it was a gasket problem & that I had a defective lube locker. Now it is all sealed up using the rubber gasket that came with my filter, so I have the worlds worst $21 paperweight in the form of a lube locker gasket, cuz I'll be damned if I'm touching that pan again any time soon.*

Also completed the install of Yukon chromoly front axles. I've done a bunch of u-joints here lately between my jeeps and friends jeeps, and I had been getting really frustrated with them....dropping needle bearings out, accidentally knocking them out of place during install, trouble getting c-clips seated, etc. But by the time I did these last 2, I feel like I finally have the process down...just in time to never have to do it again.

* In less than a month I'll be doing the 32RH breather tube relocation, which probably means I need to drop the pan again. In a perfect world I would've done that project this week, but I have a trip coming up and am out of time for the inevitable setbacks that project will certainly bring about.

Took the doors off for the first time this weekend, which I only barely got to enjoy due to the fact that I had to drop the transmission pan 3 times before I finally believed that it was the selector shaft seal leaking all this time. The real burn is that I wasted 8 quarts of ATF believing it was a gasket problem & that I had a defective lube locker. Now it is all sealed up using the rubber gasket that came with my filter, so I have the worlds worst $21 paperweight in the form of a lube locker gasket, cuz I'll be damned if I'm touching that pan again any time soon.*

Also completed the install of Yukon chromoly front axles. I've done a bunch of u-joints here lately between my jeeps and friends jeeps, and I had been getting really frustrated with them....dropping needle bearings out, accidentally knocking them out of place during install, trouble getting c-clips seated, etc. But by the time I did these last 2, I feel like I finally have the process down...just in time to never have to do it again.

* In less than a month I'll be doing the 32RH breather tube relocation, which probably means I need to drop the pan again. In a perfect world I would've done that project this week, but I have a trip coming up and am out of time for the inevitable setbacks that project will certainly bring about.
Why would you have to drop the pan?I am planning on this relocation too

Why would you have to drop the pan?I am planning on this relocation too

Well, I don't fully know that I have to, but I just figured it was a sensible step. I know you need to pull the pump, but there shouldn't be much ATF in the housing at that point, so I guess maybe you don't need to drain it. Of course I also don't understand why the dipstick tube doesn't function as a breather tube (or why breather tubes are necessary at all, but maybe that's a whole 'nother topic).

Since you're planning on this as well, I'll tell you that I was HOPING to simply tap the existing vent hole and put my NPT 90 deg fitting right into the stock location. I read another thread here where somebody determined they had 17mm of clearance. The fitting I have in my hand, assuming it threads 100% in, is about 16.5mm, which is probably too close for my taste. I may try to find a lower profile one, but I doubt I'll have much luck.

Well, I don't fully know that I have to, but I just figured it was a sensible step. I know you need to pull the pump, but there shouldn't be much ATF in the housing at that point, so I guess maybe you don't need to drain it. Of course I also don't understand why the dipstick tube doesn't function as a breather tube (or why breather tubes are necessary at all, but maybe that's a whole 'nother topic).

Since you're planning on this as well, I'll tell you that I was HOPING to simply tap the existing vent hole and put my NPT 90 deg fitting right into the stock location. I read another thread here where somebody determined they had 17mm of clearance. The fitting I have in my hand, assuming it threads 100% in, is about 16.5mm, which is probably too close for my taste. I may try to find a lower profile one, but I doubt I'll have much luck.
I thought there was just a vent on top and you just extend it?with a body lift shouldn’t be a big job

Last edited: