What did you do WITH your TJ today?

srimes

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Starting a thread to throw out little activity reports where you don't want to start a separate thread for.

I decided to go up the mountain yesterday, thinking I'd go until the snow stopped my and then I'd switch to skis. Found the stinger works for carrying skis. But they should be covered to keep them clean from tire spray.

1682267293039.png

Wife decided to come along and didn't want to ski. We hit snow that was refrozen solid, sot I put on chains and got a bit farther, but progress was extremely slow so we parked and continued on foot. I really need to get another set of chains.

After our hike and picknick we came across on older couple who couldn't get their toyota started, and couldn't get a tow truck out on the unmaintained road. Pulled out the strap and towed them back to town.

1682267779451.png

The strap was filthy after that but the powerwasher cleaned it up a bit.

qVE0Gv9RFqObhvl4ESG1TlgA=w697-h929-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Ran up the the mountain naked after pulling the doors and top. Beautiful day! Oh, I also tied an old leash to the rear seat belt buckle mounts to make sure the pup doesn't jump out.

obf8yU7L0kwzTwTfFAKKZ4Q=w1239-h929-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Had to go a bit further up to find snow. Hey @macleanflood, any plans to go south with that big chainsaw of yours? This is a bit much for my 18" bar...

0zd34EIjK9GPXUQYphYzL5w=w1239-h929-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Ran up the the mountain naked after pulling the doors and top. Beautiful day! Oh, I also tied an old leash to the rear seat belt buckle mounts to make sure the pup doesn't jump out.

View attachment 420951

Had to go a bit further up to find snow. Hey @macleanflood, any plans to go south with that big chainsaw of yours? This is a bit much for my 18" bar...

View attachment 420952

Say when and where!

-Mac

Reactions: srimes

View attachment 420951

View attachment 420952

Did somebody cut that tree down across the road and just leave it?

• Face Palm
Reactions: matkal
Did somebody cut that tree down across the road and just leave it?

Tree fell from the right...taper is thickest there and that's where you'll find the root ball.

Looks like someone cut the top off...which is the smart opening move because it decomplexifies the cutting plan.

When parted the top slid down the hill slightly.

My guess is the cutter ran out of gas, time or dulled their chain. Or looked at the other side and decided they didn't want to chance death.

Doesn't look too hard to buck out the rest...or at least a Jeep sized hole.

But I'd be looking up that hill first.

-Mac

Tree fell from the right...taper is thickest there and that's where you'll find the root ball.

Looks like someone cut the top off...which is the smart opening move because it decomplexifies the cutting plan.

When parted the top slid down the hill slightly.

My guess is the cutter ran out of gas, time or dulled their chain. Or looked at the other side and decided they didn't want to chance death.

Doesn't look too hard to buck out the rest...or at least a Jeep sized hole.

But I'd be looking up that hill first.

-Mac

Bingo! They completed a couple cuts so there's room to walk by, and got 95% through on another cut and stopped.

Heading up Mt. Ashland from Tolman Creek road:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...1!4b1!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d42.1185526!4d-122.6680157

Bit of a trek from Fall Creek! But if you want to come down some weekend and see how far we can make it up the mountain that'd be cool!

The snow has melted/refroze a ton so it's much slicker than when it was fresh. It's melting fast but there's still 8' at the base of the ski area so it'll be a while before it's gone completely. Previous weekend I put on chains and still had trouble making progress. Was at 8psi so could have gone a bit lower but the wife was with me and she gets very nervous when there's any struggle. She's afraid of getting stuck.

Thank you, it was great therapy catching them! Salt and pepper, olive oil and butter in a skillet, 3 minuites or so per side and finish with lemon juice.

I can cook them on a campfire no problem, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do them whole on the grill or skillet. Usually when I do them on anything but a campfire I fillet them and fry them with some Uncle Buck's. Just don't catch fish that I have any desire to keep often enough to experiment.

Reactions: srimes and RINC