What did you pay for your winch?

Hmm I was all ready to post the winch I purchased then suddenly I kind of felt like pee wee during the bar scene when he knocked all of their motorcycles over.

I say we kill him!
YEAH!
I say we hang him, then we kill him!
YEAH!
I say we stomp him!
YEAH!
Then we tattoo him!
YEAH!
Then we hang him!
YEAH!!
And then we kill him!
YEAH!!!
Pee-wee, softly: I say we let him go.
Don't want the wife to see eh?

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Squatch
I always say the very best winch is the one attached to your bumper that's currently pulling you out of a nasty hole. Everything else is just conversion for possible upgrades. I started with a low end China winch, then I tripped over a warn M10000 for a price I couldn't say no to. Then I just kept an eye open for the right 8274 for the right price. However if none of that had happened I'd still be rocking that China winch because it got me unstuck.

Reactions: StG58
I always say the very best winch is the one attached to your bumper that's currently pulling you out of a nasty hole. Everything else is just conversion for possible upgrades. I started with a low end China winch, then I tripped over a warn M10000 for a price I couldn't say no to. Then I just kept an eye open for the right 8274 for the right price. However if none of that had happened I'd still be rocking that China winch because it got me unstuck.

I so agree. I have a 12K Badlands that I only bolt on when needed , don’t need the added weight etc for the street . I just ordered a Superwinch Talon 9.5is last night because the right deal finally came around .

9C6979A9-3B7B-45B8-96C7-56F7D123E105.png

This seemed like a great deal . I friend ordered one for his Tacoma as well . I have heard nothing but praise for these. Down to one there were like 6 when I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7D3AM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Not bad with synthetic included, depending on the length of the rope.

That is an old myth and I don't think it has ever happened during any normal use. The drum only warms up if you power out against the brake for a long period of time. It's faster to free spool the line out.
I saw an old Ramsey or warn that the guy was winching several people out of a hole, when we spooled it out, the inner wrap had heat damage, not totally shot but definitely not right. Tim

I saw an old Ramsey or warn that the guy was winching several people out of a hole, when we spooled it out, the inner wrap had heat damage, not totally shot but definitely not right. Tim
The Superwinch , (at least on the Talon) the brake is outside the drum so no heat issues.

While there may be instances where the drum has melted a synthetic rope, it can't be at all common or else we would be reading and hearing about it. Too many people have converted their old winches from steel cable to synthetic rope without problems.

It has been a while since I last saw an image of an allegedly heat damaged rope, but the consensus was that we were actually looking at a heavily compressed and densely packed rope on the drum. I know the first wrap on mine looks different than the subsequent wraps because that section rarely gets fluffed from use.

Reactions: alittleoff

What is a good deal on warn 8274 and also what did you see them go for?

Used are in the $500 range in Utah, but then you want to replace seals and they nylon drum bearings, and upgrade the motor or install a twin motor...and upgrade the solenoids to the gigglepin's. This is one of the most highly touted winch combinations but insanely expensive for something that is only used once in a while. YMMV and it all up to your wallet. Tim

What is a good deal on warn 8274 and also what did you see them go for?
They range in price, I've seen as low as $100 and as much as $500 for rebuild candidates. I've seen good ones from $300 (not often) to 1500 or even 2k. Find a cheap one, put some seals, drum bushings and brake friction material in. Then evaluate the motor and solinoids, if they are good, run em. If they are junk, runva has the same contactor as giglepin for a lot less and I got the upgraded motor from Amazon for about 250. All prices are Canadian btw

I bought my m8000 last year around this time. I found some black Friday deal that was like instant 50 dollars off then another 75 rebate. I am pretty sure it ended up being like 425. Look for deals now. Another good place to look is Northridge. You can usually google a coupon for Northridge also. If you don't live in WA, you get free shipping and no tax.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jeep-truck-suv-winches/26502-warn-m8000-winch

Reactions: MaloStapalo