What Difference Do Shocks Make?

My front ranchos are 10.73". I have an extra pair of 12" Foxes and no stock air box to chop up. Everything Blaine says is correct. The clearances are tight and it is quite a bit more work to get the bigger shock positioned. I know pretty well what to look for and once my front axle is in its final position, I'll make the final decision on if this is something I want to put myself through.
My mistake! I thought you had 11” travel Fox shocks in the front.

My foxes are still suffering from really harsh damping on sharp events like speed bumps, potholes etc it's not nice. The front coilovers I ordered from Fox a couple years ago and they did a custom tune to add flutter stack but it DEFINITELY needs a new tune just haven't got around to taking the rig down and pulling shocks.

The difference a tune can make is really amazing. I wish more could experience it. It would change a lot of the thinking and priorities people have in their builds.

Yeah, that’s why I was confused 🤣

So what made you go with the 12” as oppose to the 11” Fox? Availability?

I got these 12s for really cheap. And I'm willing to do the work. And I also won't do it if I can't see how it to package it well.

Reactions: Chris
I got these 12s for really cheap. And I'm willing to do the work. And I also won't do it if I can't see how it to package it well.
I know Dave uses the 12” Fox shocks on a number of his builds. For instance, I know @JDRAM11 has the Fox 12” shocks that Dave did for him. Obviously it’s a lot more work, which makes me wonder why he’s doing it with 12s as oppose to 11s.

I know Dave uses the 12” Fox shocks on a number of his builds. For instance, I know @JDRAM11 has the Fox 12” shocks that Dave did for him. Obviously it’s a lot more work, which makes me wonder why he’s doing it with 12s as oppose to 11s.

Chasing travel for the sake of travel. Maybe I'm doing to the same because the opportunity fell into my lap. I'm going investigate it. But I'll also walk away from it if I don't like how it comes together.

Chasing travel for the sake of travel. Maybe I'm doing to the same because the opportunity fell into my lap. I'm going investigate it. But I'll also walk away from it if I don't like how it comes together.

Yes, that was my thought as well, just chasing numbers. But clearly he doesn't mind doing the extra work to fit them. I would think he'd just make it easier on himself and install 11" travel shocks.

Yes, you'll walk away from it if it doesn't come together well...you'll just have bigger holes in your inner fender ;)

Yes, you'll walk away from it if it doesn't come together well...you'll just have bigger holes in your inner fender ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to see what is going on before I cut anything. ;)

The other thing about mine is that there will be enough specific details on my setup that my success or failure won't necessarily translate to another build. It's these upcoming little differences that make me want to take the closer look.

I don't mind the work of 12s. I haven't done any with an aftermarket inner fender, but I mount the lower eye down by the LCA bolt. I've done it a couple different ways, and haven't had to chop any inner fenders.

Reactions: psrivats and Chris
Yes, that was my thought as well, just chasing numbers. But clearly he doesn't mind doing the extra work to fit them. I would think he'd just make it easier on himself and install 11" travel shocks.

He's put 14s in front of several. Not my thing as I think it wears out the upper pitman arm joint pretty quickly, but he says he hasn't had that issue.

I don't mind the work of 12s. I haven't done any with an aftermarket inner fender, but I mount the lower eye down by the LCA bolt. I've done it a couple different ways, and haven't had to chop any inner fenders.

What do you get for a travel bias?

If I remember correctly, 6 up 6 down with 12s.

Here's a funky one we did. Along with shortening an RE longarm to a mid arm.

Piece of DOM tubing centered over the LCA but. Holding up for the past 4 years, he wheels a lot. He did have thicker Currie LCA mounts on his axle, though.

FB_IMG_1606191108027.jpg

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw

Piece of DOM tubing centered over the LCA but. Holding up for the past 4 years, he wheels a lot. He did have thicker Currie LCA mounts on his axle, though.

View attachment 205480
That looks like a lot of leverage on the CA mount. Not so much out of concern for the shock, but dragging that on the rocks.

That looks like a lot of leverage on the CA mount. Not so much out of concern for the shock, but dragging that on the rocks.
I think it's 3/16. Most of what he does is Washington wheeling, and Moab once a year. He won't ever be caught at the Hammers. Held up so far.

Reactions: Wildman and jjvw

View attachment 205480
That.... Is not pretty. It may work but it ain't pretty.😬