What do I have? Help me spend money

Did you order through site or actually call? How long has your wait been so far on the skid?

Ben ordered through the site after having an email conversation directly with Gerald. He started by asking for a military discount if he ordered everything together. (Gerald offered 8%, honorable considering today’s costs). Once placed online an email was sent directly to Gerald with a response stating he was headed to EJS then Fla and would ship asap.
This morning I emailed Gerald, (Ben is out to sea), letting him know belly pan received but no engine skid yet.
He responded shortly after with;

1713029017912.png

Well there’s an honest but unbelievable response 😂 but it seems it’ll be on its way soon enough.

haha, no. Here's some of my top reasons.
  • Less cost (steel is almost always cheaper, sometimes by a large amount depending on aluminum used 6061/7075, etc.)
  • putting weight down low deliberately for better COG
  • more manufacturers = more choices, drives competition leading to improved designs
  • steel is easier to weld on if mounting/brackets get busted (for example my tcase skid incorporates long-arm brackets)
  • aluminum can tend to gouge and "stick" in rocks where steel tends to scrape and slide
Different strokes for different folks, though. :)

Several inaccurate and outdated preferences I see there. 😉

haha, no. Here's some of my top reasons.
  • Less cost (steel is almost always cheaper, sometimes by a large amount depending on aluminum used 6061/7075, etc.)
Yes, steel is cheaper. But that comes at the expense of turning brown with a quickness if the protective coating is damaged.
  • putting weight down low deliberately for better COG
You are still adding unneeded performance robbing weight. That is a deliberate mistake.
  • more manufacturers = more choices, drives competition leading to improved designs
No
  • steel is easier to weld on if mounting/brackets get busted (for example my tcase skid incorporates long-arm brackets)
That is a terrible false equivalency since there does not exist a welded aluminum skid that incorporates control arm mounts. Lest we forget, you have compromised ground clearance with that belly skid, so there is that and you have long arms.
  • aluminum can tend to gouge and "stick" in rocks where steel tends to scrape and slide
I've already shown that to be patently untrue. Stop repeating it.

Reactions: inkedrose
Ben ordered through the site after having an email conversation directly with Gerald. He started by asking for a military discount if he ordered everything together. (Gerald offered 8%, honorable considering today’s costs). Once placed online an email was sent directly to Gerald with a response stating he was headed to EJS then Fla and would ship asap.
This morning I emailed Gerald, (Ben is out to sea), letting him know belly pan received but no engine skid yet.
He responded shortly after with;

View attachment 518212

Well there’s an honest but unbelievable response 😂 but it seems it’ll be on its way soon enough.

Communication is key for me. As long as I know what’s happening up front it’s not a big deal. Maybe I will give them a call. Swore I never would… never say never

Reactions: Weasellee
The UCF engine skid attaches to the bottom of the motor mount and that's the worst part of the install in my opinion. I think that would mean it covers more up front than your current skid.
View attachment 517957

The distance from the front of the skid to the back is roughly 32" and that's the 2002 version. You might want to call them and ask the dimensions for your 2004. I would think they are the same but not sure. That's the only other issue, is it long enough to reach your current skid.
View attachment 517958

Measured my UCF engine skid on my 2003 at 36”

I'm not sure how you're going to run their skid with your lift, unless you're only talking about the engine skid.

That was my original plan. From this thread sounds easy enough to replace my current skid with a sheet of aluminum and ad an engine skid. Was worried about if it was standard height or not and I think I indirectly got that answer. Was debating aluminum or steel… seems pretty straight forward at this point.

Last edited:
That was my original plan. From this thread sounds easy enough to replace my current skid with a sheet of aluminum and ad an engine skid. Was worried about if it was standard height or not and I think I indirectly got that answer. Was debating aluminum or steel… seems pretty straight forward at this point.

Measure the drop from the bottom of your frame rail to the bottom of the skid. We can compare to an OEM t-case skid.

@deadbeat son Long arm kit is 3”. Skid looks like it’s just a homemade sheet of steel. Tapered from 26.5” front 32” wide in rear, 21” length.

IMG_8716.jpeg

@deadbeat son Long arm kit is 3”. Skid looks like it’s just a homemade sheet of steel. Tapered from 26.5” front 32” wide in rear, 21” length.

View attachment 518481

The OEM skid is ribbed and ranges from 3.5" to 4", so it looks like you're raised 0.5" - 1". Without diving in deeper to measure the t-case mounting vs stock, I think that gives you a pretty good idea of the approximate difference.

UCF says their 3" skid gains approximately 1.5" over OEM, so maybe my measurement wasn't very precise. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The OEM skid is ribbed and ranges from 3.5" to 4", so it looks like you're raised 0.5" - 1". Without diving in deeper to measure the t-case mounting vs stock, I think that gives yo a pretty good idea of the approximate difference.

UCF says their 3" skid gains approximately 1.5" over OEM, so maybe my measurement wasn't very precise. 🤷‍♂️

In my first pics I took a photo of t case mount and exhaust hanger. Does that look stock or aftermarket?