What do I need for recovery gear?

I guess the guy in my jeep club that organized the group buy didn't know any better.

Or maybe it was 30 years ago. In fact, the more I think about it, it had to be that long or longer.

Damn I'm old.

It's OK to be old, heck I am sure getting there faster than I want. Just remember that the alternative to getting old sucks more.

For recovery only, this is not a bug out bag, in order of importance.

1) recovery points front and rear
2) tree saver tow strap
3) spare tire
4) tools
5) winch
6) genius boost
7) snatch block

I have or have seen all of these used on the trail in the last two years

Recovery points are important simplify things when you don't want to hold up a group, that's why most clubs or organized events require them. It is just a courtesy to others on the trail and certainly not an important piece of gear on a TJ. It is easy to attach straps if you take a few minutes to do it regardless of recovery points. One soft shackle and you have a safe recovery point anywhere you want. We bought vehicles with frames for a reason. Lets face it, most wreckers will walk right past those fancy bumper shackles or recovery points and hook their own gear up to the frame. I guess my only point is on a fixed budget the first thing you throw money at isn't a recovery point, it isn't going to be the most important thing if one soft shackle can replace it.

Here are the items currently required for all Cal4Wheel organized events, and by extension every member jeep club:

REQUIRED ITEMS:
Roll bar or factory installed hard top.
Emergency brake, parking brake, line-lock or other redundant braking system.
Tow strap or rope (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight).
First aid kit.
Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tools to change tire.
Spare tire within 3 inches diameter of other tires, or, for tires 37" or larger, run-flats or tools to repair/re-inflate tire.
Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored.
Seat belts for all vehicle occupants.
Antennas must be rigid or restrained in a manner to prevent injuries.
Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e. tow hooks, receiver, etc. Tow balls are not permitted.
Battery hold downs (no bungie cords).

RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT:
Oil/fluid spill kit

https://cal4wheel.com/phocadownload/cal4wheel-safety-requirements-checklist.pdf
In addition, most organized events require working CB radios.

Here is an excerpt from the FAQ's for Jeep Jamborees:

Does my Jeep 4×4 need special equipment for a Jamboree?
Yes! The following is MANDATORY for all vehicles:
  • CB radio is MANDATORY! There are many safety issues regarding upcoming obstacles transmitted over the CB radio by your trail guides. It is required that each vehicle have a CB radio. Learn interesting facts about the area – history, local plant and wildlife, as well as exciting stories.
  • Jeep vehicles must have four-wheel drive with a low-range (4-LO) transfer case.
  • Front and rear tow points must be properly mounted to the frame with grade-eight bolts.
  • Drawbars, receiver hitches, or aftermarket bumpers with manufacturer-installed clevis or D-ring anchor points are acceptable alternates to tow points. If you don’t have tow points, you may be turned away without a refund.
  • All open-topped vehicles, including older models (CJs, Scramblers, and Willys), must have roll bars.
  • A full-size spare tire; a space-saver spare (donut) just won’t do.
  • Street legal vehicle with current license plate.
Do you recommend additional equipment?
  • Skid plates covering the oil pan, gas tank, and transfer case. Mandatory for the Rubicon Trail.
  • Rock rails for Jeep Liberty, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Commander vehicles registered for higher-rated trails. Rock rails are iron moldings designed to protect your vehicle’s rocker sills from damage. Strongly advised for Jamborees with rocky terrain. Mandatory for the Rubicon Trail. Please contact the Jeep Jamboree USA office for additional information.
  • Heavy-duty, 20-foot nylon tow straps (7,000 lb max vehicle weight) with looped ends. TOW STRAPS WITH METAL HOOKS ARE NOT PERMITTED.
  • Body lifts/suspension lifts up to six inches (combined) are permitted. Tires over 37 inches are not permitted. We recommend removing running board for higher rated trails. Snowplow frames are not permitted. Participants will be turned away at registration should they exceed these limits.

And here are the requirements for the Jeepers Jamboree on the Rubicon Trail:

Vehicle Requirements:
trailjeep5.jpg
  • All vehicles must be registered for the event
  • Minimum 2 people per vehicle
  • All vehicles must have valid insurance
  • All vehicles must be street legal or green stickered
  • Seat Belts for all passengers
  • Roll bars or factory hard top
  • Tow hooks front and rear
  • Fire Extinguisher (appropriately secure)

Not Allowed:
  • NO TRAILERS – NO EXCEPTIONS
  • Bumper or cargo racks
  • Running boards and steps both factory and aftermarket
Jamboree Suggestions for traversing the Rubicon Trail
  • At least a 3.5" Lift and 33" Off-Road Tires
  • Functional parking brake or micro-lock
  • Tow Strap with loops (recommended rated at 2 times the vehicle weight)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Hi-Lift Jack (you might need one for changing a tire)
  • Spare tire with diameter within 3 inches of existing tires (no temporary spares)
  • Battery Hold Downs (no bungee cords)
  • Skid Plates for gas tank, transfer case and transmission
  • Remove all Hub-Caps and Steps
  • Must have functioning low range in transfer case
  • Locker in front or rear
Suggestions: 5 gallon can of gas for older vehicles and rocker panels for more protection.

Pre-departure Maintenance Checklist:
Trail breakdowns can be greatly reduced by checking a few key items prior to embarking on your trip. Now is the time to check your vehicle and repair or replace items that look even moderately suspicious. It is far better to repair these items now rather than on the trail. The following list is a recommended minimum Pre-Departure Maintenance Check-list for Rubicon Trail vehicle readiness:

trailjeep6.jpg
  • Check Engine Oil
  • Check Transmission Oil
  • Check Brake Fluid
  • Check Radiator Coolant
  • Check Water Pump (if accessible)
  • Check Ignition related items
  • Check for proper Alternator output
  • Check Battery will charge, hold a charge, and battery hold down supports the battery
  • Check fuel system along with hoses for cracks and leaks.
  • Check Fan Belts
  • Check Hoses
  • Check Power Steering system components
  • Check Air Filter
  • Check SEAT BELTS
  • Check Tires for wear or damage
  • Tighten drive shaft u-bolts
  • Check and tighten lug bolts
  • Check for CRACKS IN FRAME
  • Check brake pads & shoes
  • Check for loose bolts or nuts all throughout the vehicle
  • Grease all fittings (u-joints, steering)
  • Check gear oils: transfer case/differentials
  • Check Shocks and Springs
  • Double check winch and cable

Last edited:
Recovery points are important simplify things when you don't want to hold up a group, that's why most clubs or organized events require them. It is just a courtesy to others on the trail and certainly not an important piece of gear on a TJ. It is easy to attach straps if you take a few minutes to do it regardless of recovery points. One soft shackle and you have a safe recovery point anywhere you want. We bought vehicles with frames for a reason. Lets face it, most wreckers will walk right past those fancy bumper shackles or recovery points and hook their own gear up to the frame. I guess my only point is on a fixed budget the first thing you throw money at isn't a recovery point, it isn't going to be the most important thing if one soft shackle can replace it.
A soft shackle is a recovery point.

Reactions: H_Nunez and pagrey
pagrey said:
Long lists like this are useless for helping someone choose good recovery equipment. They list a hi-lift jack, what more proof do you need?

Don't shoot the messenger, I simply quoted examples of what some well known organizations require and/or recommend for safety equipment and pre-run maintenance.

The Jeepers Jamboree list of required safety gear is short - only 4 items of actual equipment: "Seat Belts, Roll bars or factory hard top, Tow hooks front and rear, Fire Extinguisher (appropriately secure)." Their reference to hi-lift jacks was a suggestion, not a requirement.

Their reference to hi-lift jacks was a suggestion, not a requirement.
And a hi-lift jack may still have a good application; retaining a broken Dana 35 axle in order to get back to base camp.

And a hi-lift jack may still have a good application; retaining a broken Dana 35 axle in order to get back to base camp.

Regarding the reference to Hi Lift jacks in the Jeepers Jamboree "Suggestions for traversing the Rubicon Trail," ironically it was on the Rubicon Trail that I first saw a Hi Lift handle used as a sleeve for a bent tie rod that not only got my friend off the trail, it got him another 450 miles to his home.

Still, I agree with @pagrey that the Jeepers Jamboree organizers should know better than to suggest that one might need a Hi Lift for changing a tire. The factory jack or an ordinary bottle jack are far more appropriate for that job.

Regarding the reference to Hi Lift jacks in the Jeepers Jamboree "Suggestions for traversing the Rubicon Trail," ironically it was on the Rubicon Trail that I first saw a Hi Lift handle used as a sleeve for a bent tie rod that not only got my friend off the trail, it got him another 450 miles to his home.

Still, I agree with @pagrey that the Jeepers Jamboree organizers should know better than to suggest that one might need a Hi Lift for changing a tire. The factory jack or an ordinary bottle jack are far more appropriate for that job.
Absolutely, and I’m encouraged that in all the lists on this thread, nobody that I recall mentioned a hi-lift jack for changing a tire. I could not say that 6 months ago.

I've got front hooks mounted, fire extinguisher, gloves live in the console with the hat, sunscreen, Kleenex, tp. Rear hooks still need mounting holes drilled (saturday). Have tools and jumper cables in a broken down bag. Looking at (in order) first aid, shovel, tire repair and compressor, snatch rope/strap, soft shackles, cb. Not too bad, even on a budget. I won't have it all tomorrow, but it's coming. Throw in small $ items like radiator hoses/clamps, belt, fluids, drive shaft ujoints, bungees, small ratchet straps, zip ties, and i feel pretty good about helping somebody rescue me if things get really sideways. And i don't plan on doing anything an outback couldn't do without capable help along.

Does that sound like the right plan?

I've got front hooks mounted, fire extinguisher, gloves live in the console with the hat, sunscreen, Kleenex, tp. Rear hooks still need mounting holes drilled (saturday). Have tools and jumper cables in a broken down bag. Looking at (in order) first aid, shovel, tire repair and compressor, snatch rope/strap, soft shackles, cb. Not too bad, even on a budget. I won't have it all tomorrow, but it's coming. Throw in small $ items like radiator hoses/clamps, belt, fluids, drive shaft ujoints, bungees, small ratchet straps, zip ties, and i feel pretty good about helping somebody rescue me if things get really sideways. And i don't plan on doing anything an outback couldn't do without capable help along.

Does that sound like the right plan?

Looks like you are on the right track. Its a process.

Be sure to carry water with you as well.

Looks like you are on the right track. Its a process.

Be sure to carry water with you as well.
I've lived my whole life in the desert. I usually take a pint of water when i go to the grocery store, a quart when i drive home from work. I won't forget the water but is a good reminder for everybody.

Long lists like this are useless for helping someone choose good recovery equipment. They list a hi-lift jack, what more proof do you need?

I wish I would have carried a high lift, they're fiddly, but they work when nothing else will.

2 weeks ago, popped a bead, mud was too soft for the stock jack. Nothing around that was sturdy enough to jack on.
izjNyYN.jpg

last week, he lost a coil spring. Needed to get the rear end drooped out to put it back in.
DfXuSvt.jpg

I have a hydrolic jack that goes ~2ft up. I will start carrying a hilift...

Reactions: TJ Starting
That's why i posted this. For a realistic minimum list. I really can't afford much, i shouldn't even have this jeep but my father was the po and the price was right because he wanted a different one. He got a yj with a 4.0 to replace it as his dd. His cj has a winch and a hilift. I'm trying to make do with what i got and what I can afford to add to it. The short lists posted here are greatly appreciated as I'm just getting started. I see the longer lists as a goal.

Reactions: JMT
It's about to get so hot here you don't even want to go outside. My daughter is coming down from
the mountains next weekend and she likes dirt so maybe we'll go for a ride. Nothing serious, just dirt roads for now but i want to do harder stuff eventually.

Reactions: JMT