What do I need for recovery gear?

dudehitt

TJ Enthusiast
I don't have a winch yet, it'll be a while. My TJ is a stock SE 2.5 auto. I've seen a few posts recommending to get recovery gear before anything else. But they weren't specific. What do I need? I live in the desert so very little mud, some sand washes (not too many), mostly solid dirt and rocks.

Funds are limited so things are coming a little at a time so a prioritized list would help a lot.

Tow straps and recovery points. I also have/had a stock SE and there are no recovery points. You can get front tow hooks easy enough. The rear has some different options. If you have a hitch, that’s a recovery point. Otherwise a rear tow hook or similar. With that, you can be easily pulled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first recovery kit consisted of a snatch strap (NOT a tow strap, big difference between them), several bow shackles, gloves, and a small bag to keep it all in. I also mounted some bolt on recovery hooks. Now I've expanded to a winch, snatch block, better snatch strap, front bumper with recovery points etc. I also just bought a TRE Safety Thimble and some soft shackles. There are also some excellent threads on here on recovery and recovery equipment. I'm a beginner at recovery and am very grateful for the information that the guys on here with vast experience have been kind enough to pass on.

Say...on a side note, there's a really good thread on the Gear tab about first aid and first aid kits. Probably another early purchase you should consider! https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-first-aid-kit.2697/

I don't have a winch yet, it'll be a while. My TJ is a stock SE 2.5 auto. I've seen a few posts recommending to get recovery gear before anything else. But they weren't specific. What do I need? I live in the desert so very little mud, some sand washes (not too many), mostly solid dirt and rocks.

Funds are limited so things are coming a little at a time so a prioritized list would help a lot.
1- recovery points on the vehicle.
2- my personal favorite would be 1 or 2 soft shackles.
3- snatch rope. It can also be used as a tow rope.
Those are also compatible with and don't change when you get a winch.
4- small, handy, quality, tire plugging kit and air source.

Reactions: StG58
I already got some factory style hooks for the front and some regular ones for the rear frame. I may get them mounted tomorrow. Picked up a fire extinguisher this morning.

Thanks for helping me fill out my list.

I carry the following in my winch/recovery bag:
(1) winch controller
(1) 30’ recovery strap
(1) Crosby shackle
(2) soft shackles
(1) pair gloves
(1) aluminum snatch ring (replaces snatch block)
(1) 8’ 9/32 grade 80 chain with hook on each end

In a secondary bag I carry a 150’ synthetic winch rope extension and a 20’ recovery strap. I also plan on adding a 10’ recovery strap at some point.

1- recovery points on the vehicle.
2- my personal favorite would be 1 or 2 soft shackles.
3- snatch rope. It can also be used as a tow rope.
Those are also compatible with and don't change when you get a winch.
4- small, handy, quality, tire plugging kit and air source.

Thank you for sharing this, Blaine. I'm still a very green beginner and I don't know what would be a good source for items 2/3/4 in your list. Do you have any specific recommendations for these?

Thank you for sharing this, Blaine. I'm still a very green beginner and I don't know what would be a good source for items 2/3/4 in your list. Do you have any specific recommendations for these?
I'm highly connected to Ricky at Tactical Recovery Equipment so I use his stuff.

For the tire plugging kit, Safety Seal is the gold standard. The box is hard plastic and larger than is handy. I've tried several over the years and folks report success with the other stuff. I have broken a few of the tools in the knock off versions and been less than impressed. There only value seems to be low price. If you search for tire plug kits and are aware that Safety Seal was likely the first in the red plastic box, a whole bunch of stuff makes sense.

I'm highly connected to Ricky at Tactical Recovery Equipment so I use his stuff.

For the tire plugging kit, Safety Seal is the gold standard. The box is hard plastic and larger than is handy. I've tried several over the years and folks report success with the other stuff. I have broken a few of the tools in the knock off versions and been less than impressed. There only value seems to be low price. If you search for tire plug kits and are aware that Safety Seal was likely the first in the red plastic box, a whole bunch of stuff makes sense.

Thank you. I will get a Safety Seal kit for my Jeep. I've seen the stuff over at TRE and other folks speak highly of them as well. I'll be buying my gear from there as well.

Thank you. I will get a Safety Seal kit for my Jeep. I've seen the stuff over at TRE and other folks speak highly of them as well. I'll be buying my gear from there as well.

Looks like they have a kit in a more compact bag instead of the hard plastic case. Looks like it will fit in a tool box better. Given the limited storage space in the TJ I think I may order one of these.

https://safetyseal.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=77

Reactions: psrivats
Do you guys usually carry a plug kit AND the spare tire?

Yes. Although Safety Seal kits can work magic in situations where one might think plugs would never work, there are situations beyond what they can do.

Besides, if I didn't have a spare I would have nowhere to hang my trash bag. ;)

Looks like they have a kit in a more compact bag instead of the hard plastic case. Looks like it will fit in a tool box better. Given the limited storage space in the TJ I think I may order one. . . .

That does look like it holds the same tools and supplies but in a smaller package. I wish those were available when I bought my hard case kit. Every cubic inch counts in a jeep.

That does look like it holds the same tools and supplies but in a smaller package. I wish those were available when I bought my hard case kit. Every cubic inch counts in a jeep.
First thing I did was put everything in a small soft bag and toss the case. I'm clever like that.

First thing I did was put everything in a small soft bag and toss the case. I'm clever like that.

I've had that red plastic case for at least 20 years and I'm used to it. Even if I exchanged it for a bag, muscle memory would probably still make me reach for the red case.

When you get to be as old as me you will understand. ;)