What do I need to put coilovers on my TJ?

Blubicon.LJ

So i’m interested in putting coilovers on my LJ. I have a 4” long arm lift but what steps do i need to do in order to get the coilovers on my jeep? The obvious is relocating brackets and everything else but my main question is since i have long arms and a nice suspension what’s next to swap out the shocks and springs for the coils? Is my jeep ready to just get the coils and “slap em on” or are there certain things i need to run with coilovers as well? I know about spring rates and everything but mainly just wondering if if my jeep is ready for the shocks by themselves and the weld on mounting brackets. Any info can only help, Thanks!

Why coilovers? Are you planning on wider axles to make room for the COs?

A ton of money, lots of time, someone really good with fabrication, and ideally some much wider axles (as your stock axles are going to be tough to fit coilovers on).

Did I emphasize the lots of money part?

This is no easy feat, and many will ask why you want coilovers? What is it that makes you think you need them?

Most don't go to coilovers unless there is a reason to. That reason usually ends up being aftermarket axles that are much wider than stock. But even then, fitting the coilovers is going to be more than just a weekend affair.

You'll also want to outboard the shocks in the rear, get a hoop setup for the front, etc, etc, etc.

I'll let @toximus take it from here, he's done a ton of work fitting his coilovers.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I can say coil overs do look nice. But damn the cost is high.

20181117_134602.jpg

That guy spent a small fortune on that rig. There are more important things I want to spend my money on. But if i ever won the lottery.
If I won the Lottery, I think I'd spend all that money on a REALLY nice 2 dr JL Rubicon. Then maybe a 67 Bronco from Icon, Then I'd build a mimic to CJ-Sixtysix...Then maybe I'd start on cars...72 Vette convertible, Maybe a Ferrari 246 Dino, An Eleanor Clone (Mustang GT500), etc. Don't know that a TJ would fit into my plans...

I wish i could upgrade to wider and heavier axles,(who doesn’t) but i’m mostly wanting to get very good articulation out of my rig as i’m not happy with my bilesteins. i’ve looked into dual rate coils too but what’s your guys’ opinion to get the most flex out of my rig and being able to not bottom out the shocks driving the way i do. coilovers are just too pricey for a 17 year old working at wally world. Thanks for all the tips guys!

17 year old working at wally world. Thanks for all the tips guys!

Save your money. While building a jeep is great fun. If i had all the money i spent on things when i was 17 i would have the jeep posted above.

Keep it simple. A 4inch lift with rancho shocks will get you most places that everyone else goes.

The problem with trying to be the biggest and best jeep on the trail is . . . There will alwas be the guy with more money.

I remember a video of a jeep engineer that would take a stock jeep wheeling and do the same things most others did with a lift.

Save your money right now and spend it on gas, a tent, and trail permits. You'll know when the time is right for you.

I wish i could upgrade to wider and heavier axles,(who doesn’t) but i’m mostly wanting to get very good articulation out of my rig as i’m not happy with my bilesteins. i’ve looked into dual rate coils too but what’s your guys’ opinion to get the most flex out of my rig and being able to not bottom out the shocks driving the way i do. coilovers are just too pricey for a 17 year old working at wally world. Thanks for all the tips guys!
I actually DONT want heavier, wider axles. You can get VERY good articulation out of a pretty mild rig. Change out the Bilsteins for something else (Rancho 5000x seem to be well regarded) and set your bumpstops correctly. I can keep up with 85% of the guys on the trails I run. Occasionally, there will be a guy or two rolling 37"+ tires that obviously can do more obstacles...but the standard JK on 35's doesn't really have any advantage on my Rubicon.

I'm only running a 2" lift and a 1.25" body lift. 33 inch tires. I'm running Bilsteins, by the way. I think I have about 2000 dollars into my whole suspension set-up, including the wheels and tires! Buy smart, get used stuff when you can, and put some sweat equity into it, especially at 17.

1555617368172.png
20190413_114955.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fuse and LONGJP2
Why coilovers? Are you planning on wider axles to make room for the COs?
Wider axles aren't required if you don't mind cutting the frame in the back and run the Fox 2.0 at around 12" of travel. We just finished this one up, doing some fine tuning and hopefully you can tell that the 35's are tucked in pretty well with 3.75" of backspacing and no wheel spacers. Stock TJ Dana 44's front and rear with a rear AntiRock, Savvy Mid Arm, Savvy Under Armor, or the basics.

DSC_4832.JPG

I appreciate all the tips for the rig you guys! I tend be very fiscally responsible and I pride myself being probably one of the few 17 year olds you’ll meet in this generation that doesn’t shy away from rough, hard ass work (KY blood). I’m willing to do whatever to my jeep as i’m pursuing a career in fab, and can’t get enough of the lessons it teaches me about patience especially and just learning how to work on my vehicle. I just want to put myself as far ahead of anyone my age as i can in my career i wish to pursue. I’ve gone to my local jeep shop called V3 jeeps and they are working with me a little bit to see what my overall articulation is. Pics coming soon y’all! (here’s some pics to show you guys the rig) Really glad i finally made an account for these forums you guys are too helpful!
46CA6B87-573F-4519-A770-A40605CB282B.jpeg
FC61A50C-E6A5-4D8C-8554-2E4B8E9FE90E.jpeg
B612B0F3-504E-4CD7-865D-B3DA7E88EB5B.jpeg
C8002E9B-32D6-4558-9B9E-CE3C395CEF2D.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and fixmysix
Not that this will matter or that most will listen but chasing articulation is a fool's errand generally. I see builder after builder claim high amounts of articulation as a selling point or some expression of something. The problem with that is there are reasonable limits to build to and once you get there, every extra inch of travel compounds issues. You want more than about 12" on a TJ, get ready to drop the belly skid down or get a very high dollar rear driveshaft that can handle the droop with a low pinion rear end. Want a high pinion 60? That's a good way to practically require one.

You should leave the shop alone and learn how to pull the springs and cycle the axle with the shocks in place. There is a thread on here on how to set your bump stops. Read it, learn it, practice it, and then do it some more. Before long it will all be second nature and more valuable than what most shops will tell you.

With regard to the one I put up above. The upward travel limit is the small cross section of the Savvy truss on the front axle. It hits the oil pan at the front of the engine. Do we need more up travel than that?

Once you figure that out and learn it, that knowledge can be used to instantly evaluate other things. Things like those giant horrid trusses on front axles. Put one of those on and it will run into shit long before it should.

Last edited:
Blaine knows what he is talking about. Sometimes you have to kick me in the head 10-50 times before I listen to what he says. One of the best examples of taking the articulation thing too far is when the "Missing Link" idea came out for leaf spring rigs. If there isn't any pressure on the tire what difference does it make if it is on the ground? Or at least that is my understanding. To my understanding a well controlled rig will out work one of these "high travel" rigs.

This is what sold me on a TJ and he was a poor college student at the time. He had a budget boost and proper bump stops.
MVC-557S.JPG

This is what I was driving back then.

MVC-542S.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Blaine knows what he is talking about. Sometimes you have to kick me in the head 10-50 times before I listen to what he says. One of the best examples of taking the articulation thing too far is when the "Missing Link" idea came out for leaf spring rigs. If there isn't any pressure on the tire what difference does it make if it is on the ground? Or at least that is my understanding. To my understanding a well controlled rig will out work one of these "high travel" rigs.

This is what sold me on a TJ and he was a poor college student at the time. He had a budget boost and proper bump stops.
View attachment 89237

This is what I was driving back then.

View attachment 89238
I don't know that either will outwork the other. What I do know is rarely do the insane travel rigs walk off and leave anyone with a well balanced rig in our world. There may be places where that isn't true, but I don't build for them.

Reactions: Chris
I remember a video of a jeep engineer that would take a stock jeep wheeling and do the same things most others did with a lift.
Yes, and it is so much more fun to drive a budget or stock TJ and pass the $50K trailered, maxed out crawler.

Keep it close to stock. Keep it well maintained. And learn to drive.

Not that this will matter or that most will listen but chasing articulation is a fool's errand generally. I see builder after builder claim high amounts of articulation as a selling point or some expression of something. The problem with that is there are reasonable limits to build to and once you get there, every extra inch of travel compounds issues. You want more than about 12" on a TJ, get ready to drop the belly skid down or get a very high dollar rear driveshaft that can handle the droop with a low pinion rear end. Want a high pinion 60? That's a good way to practically require one.

You should leave the shop alone and learn how to pull the springs and cycle the axle with the shocks in place. There is a thread on here on how to set your bump stops. Read it, learn it, practice it, and then do it some more. Before long it will all be second nature and more valuable than what most shops will tell you.

With regard to the one I put up above. The upward travel limit is the small cross section of the Savvy truss on the front axle. It hits the oil pan at the front of the engine. Do we need more up travel than that?

Once you figure that out and learn it, that knowledge can be used to instantly evaluate other things. Things like those giant horrid trusses on front axles. Put one of those on and it will run into shit long before it should.
I can really really appreciate this .

I'm just a remodeler in Alabama , and I'll never understand all the noise people make and money they throw away ,versus doing what needs to be done to accomplish the task.. and often because misguided people guide them down the wrong path.

If young people learned in our schools that one key to being successful is to really , really understand what you are doing, it would help them so much in life.

Good post.

Reactions: KcTj and JMT