What do I need to run 33x12.5 tires with no off-roading?

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
All guys. Started to get needed parts for my jeep restoration. I am planing on running 33 12.5 tires and wondering if I need to do a body lift? i am planning on replacing all the body mounts after repairing the tub and frame.

Whats needed in term of suspension lift/body lift in order to run 33 with no issues?

Note that I am not planning on going Off-road. It will be mostly for look as I love how the 33" 12.5 look.

Please advise

attached is my jeep

tapatalk_1562879583338.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
4” of lift.

That can be done with either a 4” suspension lift or a 2.5” suspension lift and 1.25” body lift.

At 4" of lift, you'll also need to consider longer shocks, bump stop extensions, an adjustable front track bar, a rear track bar relocation bracket, and a transfer case drop or motor mount lift to eliminate driveline vibrations due to the lift.

I need new body mounts so If i were to do 2.5 sl and 1.25 bl will i still need longer shocks and adjust track bar?

Doesnt the lift kit come with shocks and springs?
Will the car drive okay on regular road at high speep?
Sorry am new to this.

Your goal is to at least maintain the stock suspension travels. You want all the same basic requirements of a Jeep that will go off road with that tire size. Speed bumps and pot holes are rough on a suspension.

Reactions: StG58
If your truly not going off road you could throw a 2” budget boost on and call it good. Not recommending this but I’ve seen people building Mallcrawlers with big tires and minimal lift. As others have stated an honest to goodness 3-4” suspension lift is the proper way to do this. You’ll also need to make sure your wheel backspacing allows full turning without interference. You might need 1.25” wheel spacers to achieve more wheel-well clearance.

just to get an idea, will something like this be alright for what am trying to accomplish? Mostly for look, no Off road.
Any recommandation on what kit/combo to get?

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 7.49.16 PM.png

Rumor has it the shocks are no good for a TJ. A good combo kit should have a motor mount lift. That one doesn't.

I have think I see MM spacers with the body lift in that photo. Not sure of your budget is but to do a proper 4” lift your getting into considerable effort and $’s. That kit you linked will do the trick but you will need some additional parts to complete the whole package.

Another route is a 2” suspension lift and a 1.25 bodylift. Provided your not going off road in any significant manner this will achieve the look your after

Those are the grill support spacers that attach to the frame.

I want to do it right, and will settle for the shorter lift kit combo ( i guess 4" it is) that will allow 33" 12.5.
@Rob5589 suggest the Zone 4.25" Combo as seen https://www.quadratec.com/p/425-combo-lift-kit-97-06-jeep-wrangler-and-wrangler-unlimited-tj.
but it looks like i will still need the body mount as those mounts in the kit just go above the regular body mounts. if thats the case then i will have to source new regular mount on top of this kit? Some of the body mounts arent good and need to replace all of them.

An aluminum or nylon body lift spacer that sits on top of the stock body mount is the correct way to go.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
where should i be?
so I feel you are building a mall crawler. Not bad but you lose all the positive attributes of a Wrangler. You get an ohh awe kinda of vehicle but it is only about ego. You give up all the fabulous Jeep engineering to deliver the most capable all around vehicle ever built. 33s will not improve street ride, acceleration, economy, performance, cornering, .......... it will only hurt all those attributes but it might give a boost to ego...

I've done that too. 30 years ago I built a low rider....... zero positive performance reasons but very cool at the drive in. all ego

And you are getting advice to build a capable rock crawler..... even tho you said " mall crawler". All you need is a 2" budget boost with good shocks. Anyone saying you need more is not listening to you..... therefore, wrong forum.