What do I need to tow my Jeep?

Landon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
GM, I am looking for advice on towing my jeep behind my truck. My Jeep unfortunately came with the barricade tube bumpers. What equipment would I need to hitch the Jeep to my truck. I also assume I would need some electrical for brakes lights and such. Thanks.

This is my setup. Roadmaster towbar with adaptors to connect to the D-ring eyelets, Stay-in-Plug auxiliary braking system, diode connected tail lights, 6-pin connector for lights, braking system and power to the Jeep. I‘ve got about 10k Miles on this setup now.

A39FCECD-D98D-4D8E-A09A-1292DFF8D415.jpeg

You can get mount brackets that bolt to the Jeep's frame to mount the tow bar. Adjustable tow bars are super convenient, but cost more. Look at your local CL for used units for sale. I found a Falcon 2 setup specific for a TJ on CL for $350. Also snagged a Brake Buddy for $300.
20161102_182547.jpg
20161203_113431.jpg

I have since ditched the frame mounted brackets for adapters for my d-ring mounts on my bumper. With your tube bumper, that probably isn't an option.

http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmaster-ring-bumper-adapter-34-thick-p-36784.html
Hopkins makes a plug-n-play setup for your brake lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SIO9Q6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

To bad your not near Seattle, I have this setup. I moved to a newer solution and need to sell the old one

Why isn't anyone asking what kind of truck, why tow the TJ along with how often and how far will it be towed?

Yes that is multiple questions in one.

A trailer may be the most needed depending on the answers.

Yeah, a trailer is always an option to consider. I think the biggest concern for folks is the space required to store it. But, if you can swing it you have more room for other toys (coolers, bikes, etc..) plus you have a trailer to carry other stuff should the need arise. I have a 16' car hauler, fits the TJ perfectly and has plenty of room for extras when we go on trips.

Reactions: tworley
I just picked up a Stay-In-Play DUO SMI Tow Vehicle Braking System. Getting that installed is my quarentine project. Then I'll tow it, with the jet ski, to my brother's place in the summer.

There are two things you'll probably want to get that are not included with the Stay-in-Play Duo kit. First, there needs to be a relay added to the Jeep's brake light circuit. As I recall it is to prevent the Jeep from disabling the turn signals when braking. Second, you probably should add a power connection between the tow vehicle and the Jeep. The auxiliary braking system uses power and will eventually drain the battery on the Jeep. There are cheap kits available from Roadmaster to do both of these things. The brake relay kit is RM-88400 and the charge line kit is RM-156-25.

I should add that the brake relay might not be needed if you are not going to wire up your tail lights and use removable lights instead. But it is going to get messy because you'll need to wire the tow vehicle's turn and brake light lines to the Stay-in-Play controller and also to the removable lights. IMHO it is a whole lot better if you wire up your tail lights. It is very simple with the plug-N-play kit noted before (Hopkins Towing Systems 56202) that has the connectors, diodes and wires all assembled as a package.

Last edited:
There are 3 things to consider. The tow bar, the braking system, and the lights.

I use the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar. You will also probably want to use a baseplate to connect the tow bar to your jeep. I have an aftermarket bumper on my jeep so I used brackets that bolt to the face of the bumper.
https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute™_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html
The ReadyBrute tow bar activates the jeep brakes via cables and a surge braking component. It is simple and it works. They also have a cable for emergency braking in the event of a breakaway. I believe the cables come with a new tow bar.

For brake lights, turn signals, and running lights, I use lights with a magnetic base that connect wireless to a transmitter that plugs into the trailer plug at the rear of my motorhome.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...EorKtrmz5Hhlg0RBurLwWR0fJJcPn_NBoCYs8QAvD_BwE

Reactions: Blondie70
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Hey folks, reviving a thread here. Long story short I have my truck and Jeep physically ready to tow, but I am ran into an electrical problem. I bought and installed Tekonsha 118409 T-One Connector Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012RJZT2/?tag=wranglerorg-20 , then ran an extension under the Jeep up through the grille slots. I thought all was great, but when I use my turn signal in the truck, regardless of L or R all of the Jeeps lights flash. Need help identifying the problem. Supposed to tow Jeep Wednesday this week. Could it be a bad harness or it is an installation error?

Here are some photos of the brackets I got fab’d up to connect the tow bar to the Jeep.
E8CEC1BD-E3FB-4829-B1FD-81EFDC739490.jpeg

I think I found my issue.... the harness I bought was to tie in the Jeep lights to trailer lights... should have listened to Bob and bought the plug and play system he recommended. At least I can Amazon Prime it.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I flat tow my LJ behind our Class A motorhome. The wring kit Bob linked is the one I use. With the 7 pin to 6 pin cable also use a simple tow bar like yours, and a never used Brake Buddy I found on eBay for half the price of a new one. Don't forget the safety chains.

I tow about 6 hours back and forth to Texas Tech for my son each semester, for lights I just got the direct plug, long line all the way to the back, and magnet stick on light. $40 or so, and works perfectly. Takes about 3 minutes to setup, 5 max. I feed in the back window , out the passenger door. Open the hood so it doesn’t bang in the wind, and feed through the Grill. Just make sure it’s long enough.

Reactions: billiebob