What do ya' think of stop/start technology?

Bird

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A newer Grand Cherokee was following me light to light this morning and restarted on every takeoff.
I simply will avoid any new vehicle that does this, if possible.

My old school way of thinking is unnecessary wear and tear for the sake of minimal gas savings.

Oh i realize this isn't exactly brand new tech but first time I've experienced it up close.

I recently purchased a 2018 Grand Cherokee and I absolutely hate the auto start/stop. I now have to push that damn button every time I get in because there is no way to permanently disable it.

I would be surprised if the delay in starting has not led to any accidents, and I can't imagine what the lift of the starter will be on these things.

Last edited:
We used to have a vehicle with it and it’s the most annoying thing ever, seriously. It’s just more crap waiting to go wrong if you ask me.

Reactions: skrelnik
Have in in my X3 - I programmed it through the BUS to be defeated by default.
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep - Surprised nobody makes a programmer that plugs into the OBDII that can auto defeat that function.
My 2015 Challenger Scat Pack has the push button start, but luckily does not have that stupid auto start/stop or ASS as its called.

I personally have no experience in it as my RAM is my newest vehicle and it is a 2003, but I have a friend I work with that has it on his F150 and he thought it was pretty cool. I have never ridden with him though. He said it was so smooth and with the radio on you wouldn't even know it was happening. But that did seem really weird to me. I just figured if they could work it out where I didn't know it was happening I wouldn't care, but it sounds like the tech is not quite there yet.

our work truck has it and i hate it. i always switch it to sport mode to turn it off. i also detail cars on the side and i picked up a cutomers car one time and it had that crap feature i rolled to the first light and thought oh shit i broke it.

Reactions: Chris
I personally have no experience in it as my RAM is my newest vehicle and it is a 2003, but I have a friend I work with that has it on his F150 and he thought it was pretty cool. I have never ridden with him though. He said it was so smooth and with the radio on you wouldn't even know it was happening. But that did seem really weird to me. I just figured if they could work it out where I didn't know it was happening I wouldn't care, but it sounds like the tech is not quite there yet.

The new F150’s have the start/stop feature? Geez that’s so stupid.

Reactions: ac_
By the way.........the new JL also has the stupid ass auto start/stop feature. I don't know how this feature on the JL works in an off road situation. I'm curious, what if I was in my new JL, and I was venturing off road in either hi or low, and I came to a complete stop? Would the engine cut off????? I would hope not, but I would be willing to be that the engine would stop.

I share the same sentiments as most.................I hate that dam "feature."