What do you consider essential recovery gear?

SD2001TJ

I am planning on taking my Jeep off-road in the next few weeks. I wanted to have the right recovery gear.

I have the stock front bumper with two tow hooks on top. I have a shittybilt rear bumper with two D rings mounted.

I have two extra 3/4 D rings, a 25 foot tow strap with hooks on the ends. A 8 foot tree hugger.

I am thinking of getting two 10 foot recovery straps. I’m sure I’m missing other key items..

I am planning on taking my Jeep off-road in the next few weeks. I wanted to have the right recovery gear.

I have the stock front bumper with two tow hooks on top. I have a shittybilt rear bumper with two D rings mounted.

I have two extra 3/4 D rings, a 25 foot tow strap with hooks on the ends. A 8 foot tree hugger.

I am thinking of getting two 10 foot recovery straps. I’m sure I’m missing other key items..
Sounds good but don't use a tow strap for recoveries. Especially when they have steel hooks on the end. Tow straps don't stretch any at all which makes it easy to break things when you need to provide a little extra oomph during a recovery. And when something breaks, you don't want steel hooks on the end of that strap.

This is what happened while using a tow strap with steel hooks on the end during a recovery...

Towstrapthroughthewindshield.jpg

Leave the tow strap for towing vehicles and replace it with a recovery strap aka snatch strap which is what you want for offroad recovery use. They are built to have a bit of 'give' plus they have sewn loops so things don't get broken or people don't get hurt during a tough recovery.

A good pair of leather gloves is good, and what has taken over for many of the shackle duties is a 3/4" soft shackle like is sold here.... https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/soft-shackles/

Winch
2 shackles, steel or soft, I prefer soft by a very large margin
Recovery straps, short for around trees, frames, axles, etc. Long for around larger stuff.
Everything after that is just to impress your buddies.
A snatch block is nice but in reality is rarely used. If you wheel in a group and there is a situation where it even starts to look like a snatch block can be used, don't worry, all your buddies will dig them out and dust them off.

Your rig should already be set up with recovery points.

If your going alone (which isn't advised ) have a winch or Hi-Jack to tug the jeep out or off of anything you may end up stuck in or on. Ideally winch is key along with a Bubba Rope if going with someone else. depending on terrian I always plan on getting stuck or a flat tire. take extra fuses and water and fuel. Food and depending on weather clothing. Sometimes I do go out alone and even if for over night I plan for all above and 3 days stranded. Just a thought.

Garmin InReach is a new and often used piece of gear for me. I run alone 90% of the time. Or, I should say just one rig. The family and maybe a friend to fill it up but still alone.

The advice on the soft shackles is solid. Easier to handle and no fumbling to get a thread started by a passenger.

Reactions: Apparition
Garmin InReach is a new and often used piece of gear for me. I run alone 90% of the time. Or, I should say just one rig. The family and maybe a friend to fill it up but still alone.

The advice on the soft shackles is solid. Easier to handle and no fumbling to get a thread started by a passenger.
X2 on the InReach

Tell someone where you are going and about what time you should be returning.

Not every event is life and death, but to someone waiting for you to return it is, and whenever you are going off road your friends or family will think if you don't return on time that you rolled your jeep off as cliff and are laying dead in some god for taken place.

As jeepers we ALL help each other out and you may find yourself helping another jeeper that has broken down and adding hours to your day of adventure. This is the reason for the InReach.

Reactions: Apparition and WSS
I've ditched the steel shackles and snatch block. I now only carry an assortment of soft shackles and straps. The last several extractions have only involved using these. Solid recovery points on the vehicle are essential, as is training and experience on how to pull out a vehicle from various scenarios.

Years ago, as a young man, my dad took me out and made me practice recovery with a winch. On more than one occasion I didn't listen, thinking I knew more than him. One time in particular, my stupid mistake resulted in several stitches to my left hand. I never forgot that lesson. That said, practice and paying attention are more important than most people think!

Reactions: Zorba and LakeBeard
I'm working through this topic now. It seems like where you're going and how you're likely to be stuck/need recovery are important to consider. Almost all my trips involve the desert and deep sand at some point so I'm researching deadman anchors to create a recovery point. That wouldn't be very important if there are abundant trees or large rocks. Here's one that I like: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LL1471BPHD I won't be getting it because the shipping is over $100 to my house.

I haven't used traction pads (e.g., MaxTrax) yet but I think I'll be adding a version of those. Possibly helpful in sand, mud and snow. I'm leaning towards ActionTrax.

Finally, I'm also thinking about a kinetic rope. Not very useful on my own but if someone else comes along...

I already have the winch, tree saver, hard and soft shackles, and a snatch block. (I had to laugh at @Blaine comment about snatch blocks. I've had that thing for years and never had to use it.)

Perhaps the best recovery item is knowledge about how your Jeep works and what it can do along with a careful assessment of how much risk to take under the circumstances. With all your friends who are well equipped? On your own with a long walk out?

I'm working through this topic now. It seems like where you're going and how you're likely to be stuck/need recovery are important to consider. Almost all my trips involve the desert and deep sand at some point so I'm researching deadman anchors to create a recovery point. That wouldn't be very important if there are abundant trees or large rocks. Here's one that I like: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LL1471BPHD I won't be getting it because the shipping is over $100 to my house.

I haven't used traction pads (e.g., MaxTrax) yet but I think I'll be adding a version of those. Possibly helpful in sand, mud and snow. I'm leaning towards ActionTrax.

Finally, I'm also thinking about a kinetic rope. Not very useful on my own but if someone else comes along...

I already have the winch, tree saver, hard and soft shackles, and a snatch block. (I had to laugh at @Blaine comment about snatch blocks. I've had that thing for years and never had to use it.)

Perhaps the best recovery item is knowledge about how your Jeep works and what it can do along with a careful assessment of how much risk to take under the circumstances. With all your friends who are well equipped? On your own with a long walk out?
Have you researched the "actual" deadman anchor? This place appears to be a retailer. What you linked should work but I imagine is way too heavy and bulky.

I carry traction boards but only because I found a good spot for them on the Jeep, so they stay there all the time... I put them on top of the stock roll bars in the back behind the light pods (in my '04). They go underneath the Spiderwebshadetop, and the bungees from that secure the boards in place. Both the shadetop and board case are black, so it is hard to tell anything extra is even there when my soft top is down.

I would definitely get a kinetic rope for your use... in the 30' flavor.

You didn't mention an inReach type device. Also, for sand, I would think a reliable (and/or backup) air compressor along with tire deflators could be considered recovery gear. And a good shovel!

Why that import thing over a Pull Pal?
https://www.pullpal.com/

And if you're going to carry an anchor, why not a real anchor?

Here's one on Craiglist for $25:

00g0g_5XbtIb3aV78z_0CI0rb_600x450.jpg

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bpo/d/represa-boat-anchor-atwood-10/7319675127.html

Or you could do what the old timers used to teach back in the day and bury your spare tire in the sand to create a winch point. You already have a spare (or should) so you won't need to carry anything extra.

rsz_tumblr_nyzm5en4gi1siki6jo1_1280-224x300.jpg
It

The above photo is actually an inspiration. You could also bury your hi-lift jack for use as a winch point, then just leave it buried when you are done. You won't miss it. It will probably be the only time it gets used. ;)

Have you researched the "actual" deadman anchor? This place appears to be a retailer. What you linked should work but I imagine is way too heavy and bulky.

Also, for sand, I would think a reliable (and/or backup) air compressor along with tire deflators could be considered recovery gear. And a good shovel!
I have a twin ARB air compressor and Currie deflator. Missed those because I wasn't thinking of them as recovery items but I agree with you. Those two items are most important.

I have seen the videos for that deadman anchor and it is impressive but the price I'd seen before was $350 which seems like a lot given the materials. Also, I haven't been carrying a shovel. Digging that 3' feet whole in wet sand is one thing. Digging it in powdery fine sand seems like another.

Thanks for the suggestion--I am considering it. Plus your link gave the best price I've seen so far. That could make the difference.

X2 on the InReach

Tell someone where you are going and about what time you should be returning.

Not every event is life and death, but to someone waiting for you to return it is, and whenever you are going off road your friends or family will think if you don't return on time that you rolled your jeep off as cliff and are laying dead in some god for taken place.

As jeepers we ALL help each other out and you may find yourself helping another jeeper that has broken down and adding hours to your day of adventure. This is the reason for the InReach.
I always send a link out of my trip to a family member. I was tracked via my Inreach the entire time to TJFest, during and back.