What do you consider essential recovery gear?

I'm working through this topic now. It seems like where you're going and how you're likely to be stuck/need recovery are important to consider. Almost all my trips involve the desert and deep sand at some point so I'm researching deadman anchors to create a recovery point. That wouldn't be very important if there are abundant trees or large rocks. Here's one that I like: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LL1471BPHD I won't be getting it because the shipping is over $100 to my house.

I haven't used traction pads (e.g., MaxTrax) yet but I think I'll be adding a version of those. Possibly helpful in sand, mud and snow. I'm leaning towards ActionTrax.

Finally, I'm also thinking about a kinetic rope. Not very useful on my own but if someone else comes along...

I already have the winch, tree saver, hard and soft shackles, and a snatch block. (I had to laugh at @Blaine comment about snatch blocks. I've had that thing for years and never had to use it.)

Perhaps the best recovery item is knowledge about how your Jeep works and what it can do along with a careful assessment of how much risk to take under the circumstances. With all your friends who are well equipped? On your own with a long walk out?
I have sand anchor I don't use, we can probably work something out if you want it...here is a link to the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EP0Y1S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
I liked that it broke down and used the backbone of the hi-lift. Seemed less bulky and less to carry in a space limited TJ.

Are you recommending the pullpal?
I am not recommending the Pull Pal. I know the owner of the company from back in the day and Pat has never been anything but a great guy. I think his son runs the place now. I just didn't understand why an import is all.

Reactions: Grant Lasson
I am not recommending the Pull Pal. I know the owner of the company from back in the day and Pat has never been anything but a great guy. I think his son runs the place now. I just didn't understand why an import is all.
Thanks. I wasn't tuned into the import aspect. I'll take a closer look at the PullPal--there can't be enough good people in off-roading.

Here's a question: is a tire repair kit an essential recovery item? I recently added the ARB kit but I adventured for many years without one. In general, tires have been so reliable that I probably would not list it as an essential item.

What about the spare tire? I've carried one forever but I'd love to drop that beast at camp. Can the ARB tire repair kit enable the spare to be taken off?

Last edited:
Here's a question: is a tire repair kit an essential recovery item? I recently added the ARB kit but I adventured for many years without one. In general, tires have been so reliable that I probably would not list it as an essential item.

What about the spare tire? I've carried one forever but I'd love to drop that beast at camp. Can the ARB tire repair kit enable the spare to be taken off?
I wouldn't leave my spare at base camp unless I was with another rig or two and we were willing to take the risk based on which trails that day. When I offroad I always carry both a tire repair kit and emergency valve stem replacement kit.

Reactions: Vasq and Plumber1
I carry a snatch block, and depending on where you wheel I could see it not being used much, but I've used my maybe half a dozen times in the past year.

Mostly when needing to pull someone out of a ditch or spin them in place on a narrow trail, or during a snow run where we can't get a vehicle in place at an angle that will actually get them out of trouble.

The snatch block has come in handy for me, since I do a lot of trails in the Sierras that have lots of tight areas you can't always get a straight pull. So it's to a tree then to the jeep your trying to pull off a rock or up a tough spot.

Reactions: DaveF
The snatch block has come in handy for me, since I do a lot of trails in the Sierras that have lots of tight areas you can't always get a straight pull. So it's to a tree then to the jeep your trying to pull off a rock or up a tough spot.
A bunch depends on what you're doing. I've done at least 5 direction change pulls in JV to do odd things without ever using a snatch block.

A bunch depends on what you're doing. I've done at least 5 direction change pulls in JV to do odd things without ever using a snatch block.
How did you accomplish this? Any pics? I often ponder tri point connetions without a block. Now that I am running synthetic line and shackles, it harder to grasp.

This is basically my usual wheeling-weekend checklist, minus camping gear and food.
  • 20' kinetic rope and a 30ft recovery strap for assisted recovery.
  • For self recovery I have a ammo box that fits my snatch block, tree strap and 3 d rings perfectly.
  • Bottle jack, 1ft block of 4x4 wood
  • Shovel, hatchet, tarp, bungees, rope
  • LONG jumper cables, tire plug kit, compressor
  • Tool bag with spanners, sockets, vice grips, needle nose, bar of soap, jb weld, lug/axle socket, breaker bar, extension cable, some crimp connectors, electrical tape, hose clamps, few random bolts and washers
  • Milk crate with spare fluids, rear ujoint, zipties, wd40, duct tape
Max trax are on my list of things to get because they do work amazing especially if solo but I just use my buddies or call for a tug :D

If you do travel solo or long periods/distances, it might be wise to carry extras and use rope shackles and such to save weight. Traveling in groups on weekend trips is mostly what I do. When crap hits the fan everyone can pool their resources, and its usually only once per time if it does happen (depending which friends come haha)

Reactions: RubiconRic
Looks like this question has been answered pretty thoroughly. I do have one thing to add though. Not a necessity but the recovery gear box from off road in mind makes getting your gear out so much more convenient in my opinion.