What do you consider high mileage?

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What do you guys consider a high mileage vehicle?

I know people used to consider 100,000 miles to be a death sentence. Anymore, I see trucks, and wranglers, that are 2012+ with at least 75,000 miles going for $23k-$26k. It’s crazy.

So what is considered high mileage now?

I think if a vehicle is driven 10k miles a year or more, I consider it high mileage.

I think if a vehicle is driven 10k miles a year or more, I consider it high mileage.

My wife and I each drive between 13K and 18K/year....for my TJ I wanted to find one with no more than 100K on the clock, but when I get my DD's I usually get them less than a year old with about 8-10K on the clock...let the first person take the hit.

Reactions: Chris
A vehicle with average of 15,000 miles per year or more.

Ok so would you spend $25k for a newer vehicle that had over 75,000 miles?
No, but that's me. The closest I got was to spend 26K plus 4k on a trade for a two year old Yukon SLT with 52,000mi. They were obviously highway miles. I wasn't too worried about it. 2 years later and we're almost at 100,000 miles.

We have some heavy vehicles at work with over 670,000 miles and they are still very reliable. We just changed an automatic transmission out at 330,000 miles of stop and go with an average speed of 13 miles per hour. Not bad.
Personally I have had several cars, 4 x4 pick up trucks, with way over 100,000, took a 6.2 diesel Blazer to 198,000, but it was on engine # 2.
Things to consider are service history, how the miles were racked up, rust, and the particular vehicle. I have seen certain models loose factory parts support in less than five years after manufacturer. Usually a less popular vehicle for that to happen, so aftermarket parts sources can be limited also. Very popular vehicles like our beloved TJ's I think will have parts available for some time. Things are screwy these days with trucks close to 90,000 being listed for high twenties to low thirties. I keep things a long time. Especially if I can fix most of the problems that crop up myself and can get parts. I don't want something that only the dealerships or someone with the Snap On subscription to their best scanner can diagnose. Unfortunately with each year that passes that will be harder and harder to do.

B

My '90 Dodge has the Cummins diesel in it, and I'm over 400,000 miles (I bought it with @70,000 on it). Come retirement, I will look for another 1st Gen Cummins as a "last truck I'll ever own", and I'll consider anything under 200,000 as low mileage. As for the Jeep 4.0, there was a guy at work with 440,000 on his YJ when he traded it in on a new TJ. His YJ still purred when he got rid of it. By comparison, I have a '79 Cadillac Seville that went through three of the "dieselized Olds 350" engines (remember those disasters?) before finally being converted over to a gas-powered Olds 350. (Ugh. Glad I got it post-conversion). The car has never turned 100,000 miles, yet...

Reactions: psrivats
My '90 Dodge has the Cummins diesel in it, and I'm over 400,000 miles (I bought it with @70,000 on it). Come retirement, I will look for another 1st Gen Cummins as a "last truck I'll ever own", and I'll consider anything under 200,000 as low mileage. As for the Jeep 4.0, there was a guy at work with 440,000 on his YJ when he traded it in on a new TJ. His YJ still purred when he got rid of it. By comparison, I have a '79 Cadillac Seville that went through three of the "dieselized Olds 350" engines (remember those disasters?) before finally being converted over to a gas-powered Olds 350. (Ugh. Glad I got it post-conversion). The car has never turned 100,000 miles, yet...

My parents got one of those "dieselized" engines in a station wagon years ago (fake wood grain and all) it was horrible...especially compared to the 77 300d Mercedes diesel sitting next to it, that ran forever.

Reactions: Squatch