What do you get for gas mileage and range?

1997 SE 2.5L, 31x10.50R15 AT3s, AX5 trans, 4.56 gears I get 15MPG, my range is 300 miles. I did the 15 gal to 19 gallon fuel tank mod. I normally stop for gas about 280 miles. I drive it 45 miles daily. When my gas light comes on I can safely go another 65 miles.

I don’t regularly check mine, but its usually around 190-200 miles when I have to fill up with driving around town.

Yesterday, I drove it from my house in central SC to the Outer Banks of NC. I did check one stretch that was mostly interstate driving and some 4 lane divided highways. My speeds were between 65-70 mph most of the time, except off ramps and a few areas with short stretches of 45-55 mph. I got 241 miles and got 16.1 mpg while loaded down with a bunch of junk for staying a week in the Outer Banks.

5FEFBECA-1B73-41CA-99AB-6590CF3A6B92.jpeg

I used to get 14,15. Best of 17,18 if I stayed under 60mph and NEVER passed anyone. That was running 33x10.50s. Then I changed to skinny 7.50R16s. 4x4 tires from 50 years ago. I got a 5mpg bump. I now average 22mpg without thinking about it. 60-70mph in the mountains, fabulous performance. And a way smoother ride too even tho they are D Load Range.

Add in 8# lighter per tire, Rated for 60K miles, And $200 cheaper than KO2s for a set of 5.... I'll never buy anything bigger again.

I don't do any extreme off roading anymore, most of my wheeling is thru the forest and onto a beech. But there are guys running these in almost stock CJ2s on the Rubicon so it is not like I made a compromize to get a more economical tire.

I get an extra 100 miles from a tank of gas now.

I used to get 14,15. Best of 17,18 if I stayed under 60mph and NEVER passed anyone. That was running 33x10.50s. Then I changed to skinny 7.50R16s. 4x4 tires from 50 years ago. I got a 5mpg bump. I now average 22mpg without thinking about it. 60-70mph in the mountains, fabulous performance. And a way smoother ride too even tho they are D Load Range.

Add in 8# lighter per tire, Rated for 60K miles, And $200 cheaper than KO2s for a set of 5.... I'll never buy anything bigger again.

I don't do any extreme off roading anymore, most of my wheeling is thru the forest and onto a beech. But there are guys running these in almost stock CJ2s on the Rubicon so it is not like I made a compromize to get a more economical tire.

I get an extra 100 miles from a tank of gas now.

What tires are you running?

Another update on our trip, From Tarboro, NC to Florence, SC, again mostly interstate and divided 4 lane highway. 194.7 miles. Got 16.6 MPG. During the week while putting around the area we were staying in and riding on the beach I got 12.7 MPG.

Whether or not one expects good fuel economy, I find keeping track can give me a trail of breadcrumbs if I need to diagnose something. I use Fuelly app and website to record and track every fill up. I don't want to randomly check one day and find out I've lost 5mpg and not know whether something is wrong or the mods just piled up. And when I hit the mountains I want to know I can get where I'm going without running out.

With 32s, 5 speed and 3.73 I averaged 15.3mpg over 2 years and 15k miles. In 1000 miles since regearing to 4.56 I'm a bit over 17, but I'm not counting any chickens until I see that over 5k miles or so.

TJR, Banks turbo, 265/75-16 tires, 6-speed. About 11 mpg around town or on trails and 14 mpg on the highway. I just can’t help putting my right foot in it with all that power.