What do you guys suggest for a Jeep that's been sitting for 2 years

jhetcel23TJ

Okay, so finally got my project Jeep close to being back together after a much longer than anticipated frame off restoration. Before I turn the key, what do you guys suggest I do to prep the engine before hand? I figured fresh gas, charge the battery overnight, put some marvel mystery oil in spark plug holes, what else?It's already got brand new oil and a filter in it. Do I need to hand crank the engine to lube the cylinders?
It's a 2003 TJ, 4.0I-6

I've always was taught you should crank to prime it first. I know on older Chevy motors you can get a drill in an extension to turn the oil pump to prime it. I did the same on my tractor.

But who knows what the manufacturers do with a new motor?

Can't hurt to prime it...

I've always was taught you should crank to prime it first. I know on older Chevy motors you can get a drill in an extension to turn the oil pump to prime it. I did the same on my tractor.

But who knows what the manufacturers do with a new motor?

Can't hurt to prime it...
How does one prime the 4.0?

Reactions: jhetcel23TJ
Crank it and don't rev it to the moon , let idle 10 or 15 minutes and then get it out and ease it around watch for any smoke or anything unusual and watch the temperature hand.

Last edited:
If it was covered, not in a flood, I think it should be okay. Crank it until it starts, 15 second intervals. Gasoline may be bad if it sat for two years