What do you guys think about this LJ

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Found this LJ for what I think to be a steal ($12k) a few hours from me. Everything looks good so far in the pictures. Owner claims he is the only owner, and it has 168k miles. It's a 2004 so does that mean it misses the ODPA and PCM issues from the 05-06? I am thinking about buying this LJ and putting the parts from my TJ onto the LJ and then selling the TJ. I know I won't break even just my thought process. What do you guys think of the condition or is there anything that stands out?

IMG-8689.PNG
IMG-8690.PNG

IMG-8691.PNG
IMG-8692.PNG

Is that carpet or some kind of bedrug/ liner? Can't really tell.

IMG-8695.PNG
IMG-8696.PNG

IMG-8691.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
These Va and other northern Wranglers are a flip of a coin when it comes to frame rust. specifically between the frame and transfer case skid, frame and body mounts, and the front and rear ends of the frame.

Doesnt look like the Jeep you posted pictures of was put away for the winter..if that matters to you. That’s a lot of cash for something that might continue to rot.

Reactions: DropTopDon
Comparing it to my TJ the frame is in a little bit better condition than my TJ. And my emergency brake lines are HORRIBLE. I was going to do a frame/undercarriage restoration this summer on my TJ but if I get an LJ I will save it for that. And by restoration I just mean eastwood and por 15 or spray paint.

I found another LJ in mint condition but the frame looks like it has been repaired. It was in NJ which is a red flag. Does the frame repair on this look alright to you guys? (Pics from a different LJ then above)

IMG-8699.PNG
IMG-8698.jpg
IMG-8700.PNG
IMG-8701.PNG

Owner of this jeep says that it has been safety capped on both sides by a certified welder using the quadratec frame parts. Had heavy scaling on frame before

Comparing it to my TJ the frame is in a little bit better condition than my TJ. And my emergency brake lines are HORRIBLE. I was going to do a frame/undercarriage restoration this summer on my TJ but if I get an LJ I will save it for that. And by restoration I just mean eastwood and por 15 or spray paint.

I found another LJ in mint condition but the frame looks like it has been repaired. It was in NJ which is a red flag. Does the frame repair on this look alright to you guys? (Pics from a different LJ then above)

View attachment 326966View attachment 326967View attachment 326968View attachment 326969

Owner of this jeep says that it has been safety capped on both sides by a certified welder using the quadratec frame parts. Had heavy scaling on frame before
It’s unfortunate how quick the frame and tub mounts go to complete waste up north.

The LJ is a better ride down the road, better to build, better to wheel, to a point, and worth more in theory. I’d compare rust to rust and see which comes out on top as far as condition.

Honestly the LJ you posted in the op doesn't look bad at all, going to need more pics and you would have to inspect the inside of the frame with an endoscope. But it seems like just basic surface rust, not even rust but just slight fading/corrosion. For 12k could be a good deal. The transmission pan looks rusty not that that's a big deal or a deal breaker.

I can't speak for the second LJ as I'm not a welder and I can't judge the quality of the welds. I'm going to have to learn how to weld fast though if I want to keep driving my absolute bucket of a TJ. It's so rusty it would make a grown man cry.

Reactions: DropTopDon
I personally would not buy any vehicle from above the Mason Dixon Line. Too much rust in places you can’t see. But then I’m spoiled living in the South West. The first one looks good for the money. 169K is fine if it was well maintained and you will not be racking up a ton more miles as a DD.

I am thinking about buying this LJ and putting the parts from my TJ onto the LJ and then selling the TJ.
200.gif

Is that carpet or some kind of bedrug/ liner? Can't really tell.
Looks like a bedliner type material. You can see the gear shift cover which would normally be under the carpet.
20220430_225240.png

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper