What do you neglect for your Jeep?

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
I’ve been noticing lately that things are in shambles at the homestead, grass overtaking the sidewalk & driveway, weeds everywhere, branches in the yard, leaves in the gutters, some gutter leaks, home office looks like a bomb hit it & general disarray everywhere inside. Now, I fly solo here so with no live-in significant other objecting around the clock I tend to let things slide longer than I did in the old days when the whole family was still here, but I’ve taken it to a new level & I was lately trying to figure out why when it hit me last weekend – it’s the TJ. Seems like if I’m not driving it, fixing it or modifying it I’m online reading about it so it’s in great shape while the house, not so much.

I had a wheeling excursion planned for today but bailed out last night, decided to spend a weekend pulling out of this tailspin instead. This is the first time I’ve done this since I brought the TJ home almost 2 years ago, have I reached a new high (or low)? Actually started on Monday-Tuesday by prepping, crack-filling & resealing the driveway, today will be reclaiming the sidewalk, split-rail fence repair & weed whacking & tomorrow some interior work but with temps in the 80s I’ll also take a nice long drive on the street, gotta enjoy these final door off/top down days while I can.

Anyone else let things go to shit because of their TJ?

Gratuitous photos from last week's post-suspension work "is it level" check:

030.JPG
032.JPG

I've neglected putting new windows in our house for way too long due to my mod addiction with the TJ! I keep telling myself next month, but I keep finding more things to do to the TJ instead... haha.

Sometimes I think maybe I should have stuck to a Miata... maybe there'd be less temptation to spend :p

My consistent shower leak. Whenever we took a shower I would find a puddle in the garage below. Finally took last weekend to take care of it, re-grouted the whole damn thing. As of this morning it wasnt leaking...fingers crossed.

Gotta say I'm pretty happy I broke the cycle, finished up my driveway repairs & also reclaimed my sidewalks. It's amazing how mother nature encroaches when you stop maintaining things. Trimmed some trees & fixed the fence too along with a lot of indoor stuff. Another unexpected consequence was I ended up taking a rare nice long Sunday drive in the TJ, weather was beautiful & I had it out most of the day. I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed driving it on the street. For those that daily drive theirs it's probably not something you even notice, but driving a little econo-cruiser all the time & only wheeling the TJ it's like a whole new thing driving it on the street, I really feel like I'm driving a piece of farm equipment & I mean that in a good way.

Reactions: AndyG
yea I have neglected the 2.5 acres for the Sahara. Then again the TJ brings a smile to my face the homestead brings.....ugh... more work. the TJ
gets me where I want to go.

Well my wonderful wifey left me all alone on 10/3 for a cruise in Greece with her mother. I was off work for over a week with nothing to do, So I proceeded to look at jeep tj's to purchase in the next month or so.

My mother wrecked her car, and found an '05 rubicon, so that's what got me hooked.

I'm sure there will be consequences and repercussions, but she will be throwing a fit to drive it to work when I get one for myself.

My new home in the Panhandle matches my TJs... tough, rugged and dirty :(
but then my next door neighbor don't care, that's his driveway.
e8217fc6426ce2fb451cace32c8189e2.jpg

Last edited:
I keep walking past my 2017 Ktm 250 xcw dirt bike to fool with my TJ.

My crawlspace needs better ventilation, and the wife wants a bunch of stuff around the house changed....I'm a remodeling contractor...so I 've been dragging her all over Alabama and Tennessee in the Jeep every weekend all summer to distract her ...we have had a blast.

Reactions: RussTJ
My consistent shower leak. Whenever we took a shower I would find a puddle in the garage below. Finally took last weekend to take care of it, re-grouted the whole damn thing. As of this morning it wasnt leaking...fingers crossed.
It will slow it down , but grout is porous and if showers leak , it's the pan . Been fixing 'em for 20+ years. My guess is that's an older split level. Late 60's or early 70's.

It will slow it down , but grout is porous and if showers leak , it's the pan . Been fixing 'em for 20+ years. My guess is that's an older split level. Late 60's or early 70's.

House was built in 01 actually. I knocked out the ceiling in the garage and could see where it was coming from, right where the tile meets the tub. I've grouted and sealed. Ive ran it for an hour trying to find the leak beforehand, never leaked. Soon as someone gets in and starts splashing water it puddled in the corner and leaked. Going on a week with the grout and sealer and so far so good!

Where to start....

School work (yes a 41 year old college student)
Laundry
Dishes
Home repair
Yard work
Friends without jeeps
But i can honestly say i don't neglect my wife. I need her help working on the jeep. You can always use another pair of hands.

House was built in 01 actually. I knocked out the ceiling in the garage and could see where it was coming from, right where the tile meets the tub. I've grouted and sealed. Ive ran it for an hour trying to find the leak beforehand, never leaked. Soon as someone gets in and starts splashing water it puddled in the corner and leaked. Going on a week with the grout and sealer and so far so good!
Awesome, thought it was a shower. Tubs are fixable usually.

Reactions: tworley
But i can honestly say i don't neglect my wife. I need her help working on the jeep. You can always use another pair of hands.

That’s funny, I’m confident that my girlfriend can install an anti-rock and can also talk intelligently about tie rod ends. Well, I know she can at least point to one

Funny post @Westtown Willy. We had some nice weather this past weekend and I was feeling compelled to go tooling around somewhere in the Jeep. Like you, I'm the sole master of my domain and don't really have to answer to anyone these days. My yard work is generally pretty quick and easy, but my God when I noticed the water was pooling around my ankles in the shower it caused me to look around and realize my (bath)tub was disgusting. Poured a half-gallon of Drano down the drain, replaced the moldy shower curtain and spent a good hour scrubbing the tub and cleaning the bathroom. Mopped the kitchen floor while I was on a roll. Also filthy.

One thing led to another and I decided to straighten up the garage and my storage area. After a spring and summer of TJ projects and camping trips, it was time to clean up, reorganize and put away all the tools and camp gear, and recycle all the shipping boxes from various Jeep parts and such. As I was blowing out the garage and the driveway with my leaf blower I discovered that this was also a great tool for blowing a summer's worth of trail dust out of the Jeep. Well wouldn't you know it, I ended up installing my tailgate table in the Jeep, buttoning up the soft top and measuring for storage improvements in the rear. Adjusted the straps on the Trasheroo and my jerry can mounting set up. Finished the day watching a couple of Youtube videos on replacing the heater/blower switch. Picked up a new switch at the parts store today. Try as I might, I still managed to loop right back into working on the Jeep! But man, my shower sure was clean and shiny before work this morning . . .

I have neglected my other hobbies for the jeep. I have a small garden tractor addiction, that I've been selling off parts of to fund Jeep mods. I also have a pretty complete woodworking shop...that has been consolidated and pushed into the corner of my shop. Its sits covered and unused. As far as the house goes...I need to keep up on that, or my wife will take my toys away! I told her we would redo our master closet soon, so that she'll be more forgiving when I drop 2500 bucks or so on a Tummy Tuck this winter...or the alternative is full disassembly, frame and tub rust repair and paint. Haven't decided which yet. If I do the blow up...I will NEVER get rid of this thing. It will also be nearly the cleanest Wrangler in Michigan!

I'm also neglecting my hunting prep. Archery season opened here on the 1st. I haven't pulled my bow 1 time this year. I have a brand new barrel on my Hunting rifle...haven't put a round though it. I'm SLACKING!

Reactions: Norty05LJ
Funny post @Westtown Willy.Like you, I'm the sole master of my domain and don't really have to answer to anyone these days.

that’s awesome, it’s been 7 years for me & sometimes I still can’t believe I can do whatever I want whenever I want, or ignore whatever I want :D. Raising my kids was by far the best thing I’ve done in this life but when that was over it was time to get back to being a kid myself – the TJ fit right in, was a 50th birthday present to myself in 2016 - a great time of life to own a money/time-pitt like this

I have neglected my other hobbies for the jeep.

yup, it's not just chores that are avoided. I've been an avid home cook since I was a kid, was the primary cook in the house for the family on a daily basis & all holidays & events... I still enjoy it but I've slid way down the totem pole of creativity & effort these days, but that's got a lot to do with not having anyone to cook for, tough to put a shit-ton of time into doing it just for myself however the girlfriend is an appreciative contestant when I get off my lazy ass & chef something up from time to time. This was Friday night’s effort, penne with crispy pancetta & San Marzano tomato, basil & garlic sauce, real simple & still within my waning capabilities

Panchetta Pasta 1.JPG

that’s awesome, it’s been 7 years for me & sometimes I still can’t believe I can do whatever I want whenever I want, or ignore whatever I want :D. Raising my kids was by far the best thing I’ve done in this life but when that was over it was time to get back to being a kid myself – the TJ fit right in, was a 50th birthday present to myself in 2016 - a great time of life to own a money/time-pitt like this

yup, it's not just chores that are avoided. I've been an avid home cook since I was a kid, was the primary cook in the house for the family on a daily basis & all holidays & events... I still enjoy it but I've slid way down the totem pole of creativity & effort these days, but that's got a lot to do with not having anyone to cook for, tough to put a shit-ton of time into doing it just for myself however the girlfriend is an appreciative contestant when I get off my lazy ass & chef something up from time to time. This was Friday night’s effort, penne with crispy pancetta & San Marzano tomato, basil & garlic sauce, real simple & still within my waning capabilities

View attachment 59182
Looks Delicious!